Page 189 of 225 FirstFirst ... 89139179187188189190191199 ... LastLast
Results 3,761 to 3,780 of 4482

Thread: Official official offseason thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,678 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Robyn1967 View Post
    Bauer wasn't found not guilty, the DA declined pressing charges against him because there was too much he said she said. That does not mean one is guilty or innocent, just that the DA felt they did not have enough evidence to convict him. MLB definitely thinks the guy is guilty though. He has never denied the allegations, just said they were consensual. He has never apologized or shown any remorse. Hard pass
    Wouldn't apologizing be an admission of guilt?

ETA... I know if I were innocent and my career and reputation were destroyed, I wouldn't apologize. Of course, I wouldn't apologize simply for the fact that it's an admission of guilt imo.
    Last edited by msstate7; 01-13-2023 at 09:11 AM.

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    The LA DA moved on. The independent arbitrator felt MLB actions were excessive. There are roughly 400 MLB active pitchers. How many of them are better than Bauer? Is Bauer better than Morton this year?
    Is Bauer better than Anderson/Elder/Soroka this year? Would Bauer make it more of a certainty to make playoffs this year? Would Bauer make enough of an impression to garner a substantial return at the trade deadline?

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Bauer will get snatched up at some point this season. I have a feeling there will be a lot of fans for a lot of other teams wishing it was their team who got him..
    Coppy

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Robyn1967 View Post
    Bauer wasn't found not guilty, the DA declined pressing charges against him because there was too much he said she said. That does not mean one is guilty or innocent, just that the DA felt they did not have enough evidence to convict him. MLB definitely thinks the guy is guilty though. He has never denied the allegations, just said they were consensual. He has never apologized or shown any remorse. Hard pass

isn't that litterally the definition of innocent in the eyes of the law. We can all agree he is a punk who probably did some really bad things. But in accordance with punative law he is innocent.
    Coppy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    Tonight one of us may get extremely lucky and hit the lottery jackpot. Should that occur, just how long will it be before some gold digger comes around looking for her share of the pot? I keep mentioning it but it seems no one wants to remember the same woman went to town with Tatis Jr right after he signed his big deal.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    isn't that litterally the definition of innocent in the eyes of the law. We can all agree he is a punk who probably did some really bad things. But in accordance with punative law he is innocent.
    Not guilty ≠ innocent.

All that means is that there was insufficient evidence to prosecute or convict, or that a prosecutor didn't feel it was worth the effort.

See also: Orenthal James Simpson.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to DirkPiggler For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (01-15-2023)

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PawPawMaxwell View Post
    Tonight one of us may get extremely lucky and hit the lottery jackpot. Should that occur, just how long will it be before some gold digger comes around looking for her share of the pot? I keep mentioning it but it seems no one wants to remember the same woman went to town with Tatis Jr right after he signed his big deal.
    Very possible, but if that happens that still doesn't give any of us the right to put it in that golddigger's butt while she's passed out or asleep.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,678 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DirkPiggler View Post
    Very possible, but if that happens that still doesn't give any of us the right to put it in that golddigger's butt while she's passed out or asleep.
    Didn't she send him texts saying she wanted him to beat her up and choke her out and crap like that?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Didn't she send him texts saying she wanted him to beat her up and choke her out and crap like that?
    Yep she asked for every bit of it then went back for more.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Robot umps in all AAA parks for 2023

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    Robot umps in all AAA parks for 2023
    So mlb in 2024 then?
    Coppy

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,489 Posts
    Pirates sign Andrew McCutchen....feel good story there.
    Get off my lawn!

Gwinnett Bound
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts
    Even if you don't think Bauer's behavior in the one particular incident was reprehensible, I'm not sure he'd be a fit for the Braves. The recent Q&A with AA sheds some light on how much they value character in the clubhouse, and I think that's something we've seen pay off quite a bit in recent years. I'd also guess it plays a role in so many players being willing to extend- and in some cases leaving money on the table to do it. Bauer has had a reputation as a me-first pain in the a$$ kind of guy even before his most recent issues- so I'm not sure he ever would have been a fit anyways.

He'll probably go somewhere and put up good numbers on a bad team, but I'll trust the judgement of the people who have put together a really strong locker room over the past few years if they ultimately elect to pass on him.

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    220 Posts
    Cohesion in the locker room goes a long way in the 250 day slog that is an MLB season.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Nerfherders For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (01-15-2023)

Gwinnett Bound
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    118 Posts
    Bauer is not worth the risk for any playoff caliber team to take on this year. He was absolutely the biggest douche bag in the MLB before his suspension. I sure he hasn’t improved.

Don’t forget he only made a couple of starts after the sticky stuff ban. I believe he was one of the guys that benefited from sticky stuff. Does anyone know if he’s elite without it?

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    181 Posts
    Bauer is a complete douche. No doubt. But for 700k, if he becomes to much of a headache, you send him packing. If he comes in a pitches well, just a solid mid rotation guy, you have an absolute steal.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to jpack1 For This Useful Post:

PawPawMaxwell (01-13-2023)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    Ozuna did not have a clean reputation before AA signed him. Remember Andruw Jones and his DV situation? Not to mention the Gold Club story. Chipper and the Hooters girl? Bauer is an asshole, no doubt, but he is also a recent Cy Young winner. But, if it is a sterling reputation you seek, I hear Tim Tebow is open to trying a comeback.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    181 Posts
    Think of how much fun it would be to see him mow the Dodgers down in the playoffs. Know how flipping awesome that would be?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PawPawMaxwell View Post
    Ozuna did not have a clean reputation before AA signed him. Remember Andruw Jones and his DV situation? Not to mention the Gold Club story. Chipper and the Hooters girl? Bauer is an asshole, no doubt, but he is also a recent Cy Young winner. But, if it is a sterling reputation you seek, I hear Tim Tebow is open to trying a comeback.
    Ozuna didn't have anything like a domestic violence charge/accusation against him before AA signed him. His wife did but he had no culpability in the first incident. The others you mention are irrelevant because it was under completely different leadership. Weak argument.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to zbhargrove For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (01-15-2023)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    Ozuna didn't have anything like a domestic violence charge/accusation against him before AA signed him. His wife did but he had no culpability in the first incident. The others you mention are irrelevant because it was under completely different leadership. Weak argument.
    I thought this whole discussion was about character, good, bad or indifference. Ozuna had a situation in St Louis outside a bar after a ball game, IIRC. All character flaws are not related to what happened last.