Page 18 of 225 FirstFirst ... 816171819202868118 ... LastLast

Thread: Official official offseason thread

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    actually salaries and lux tax salaries are not the same. we are over 210 mill in lux salaries this year. I think around 220 or so.
    Sporttrac has us just north of $214m, however, that includes the $10m we are sending to Texas with Odorizzi. If DoB is correct and we put that $$$ towards 2022 payroll, then we would be at around $204m towards the luxury tax, leaving around $29m to spend. Also, knowing AA, he always leaves around $10m or so for mid-season upgrades.
    Get off my lawn!

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Thats if you actually believe DOB, thats hardly anything to improve the roster. Unless we're going cheap at SS, and not adding a SP. Could probably make that work if we're just adding a cheap SS, a LF bat, and a couple BP arms while moving Rosario and Pina.

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    Spotrac has not included Harris II salary all off season so best to go with the Cots numbers for now.

Also note, the money went to Texas so it will also count against Rangers 2023 payroll. The players only get paid during the season IIRC somewhere around 15 paydays per year.
    Last edited by PawPawMaxwell; 11-10-2022 at 09:47 AM. Reason: add more info

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,290 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanforlife88 View Post
    Sporttrac has us just north of $214m, however, that includes the $10m we are sending to Texas with Odorizzi. If DoB is correct and we put that $$$ towards 2022 payroll, then we would be at around $204m towards the luxury tax, leaving around $29m to spend. Also, knowing AA, he always leaves around $10m or so for mid-season upgrades.
    The $10m would account against luxury tax regardless of the Braves clever accounting.

Spring Training Invitee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts
    I don’t recall a time in the last decade where DOB had the inside scoop on anything. I’ve wondered if he’s been fed false information at times.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    Atlanta Braves
    @Braves
    ·
    9m
    The #Braves today selected RHP Michael Tonkin and RHP Seth Elledge to the major league roster, while also reinstating C Manny Piña and RHP Huascar Ynoa from the injured list. The club’s 40-man roster is now full.
    Get off my lawn!

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,133 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    actually salaries and lux tax salaries are not the same. we are over 210 mill in lux salaries this year. I think around 220 or so.
    This is correct, and one of the main drawbacks to extending these young players. Instead of taking a $600k cap hit for Harris in 2023 the Braves are taking a hit equal to the AAV of his entire deal. The same holds true for every long term deal on the books, and really eats away at payroll flexibility.

I really hope this nuance didn't catch AA off guard when he was handing out extensions to everyone on the roster. The Braves have never had to worry about cap rules, and hopefully it doesn't bite them.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    deGrom has told the Rangers that he is interested in signing with them.

Sounds like it's the Rangers or Mets for him.
    Get off my lawn!

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Five View Post
    Turner and Harper’s wife are extremely close. According to the Phillies fans I deal with on a daily basis, it’s a done deal already.
    Do we have another Fritz Peterson/Mike Kekich situation (look it up) brewing if Turner signs with the Phillies? When you say "close," do you mean canoodling close?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,290 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    This is correct, and one of the main drawbacks to extending these young players. Instead of taking a $600k cap hit for Harris in 2023 the Braves are taking a hit equal to the AAV of his entire deal. The same holds true for every long term deal on the books, and really eats away at payroll flexibility.

I really hope this nuance didn't catch AA off guard when he was handing out extensions to everyone on the roster. The Braves have never had to worry about cap rules, and hopefully it doesn't bite them.
    It’s a big drawback in the short term, but we will capture that benefit on the backend when the luxury tax hit < real salary (at a time when the Braves will likely have a significant increase in TV revenue).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,704 Posts
    deGrom has told the Rangers that he is interested in signing with them.

Sounds like it's the Rangers or Mets for him.
    Rangers, please

Although if the Mets miss on degrom, they'll get rodon probably, and he owns us

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Atlanta Braves
    @Braves
    ·
    9m
    The #Braves today selected RHP Michael Tonkin and RHP Seth Elledge to the major league roster, while also reinstating C Manny Piña and RHP Huascar Ynoa from the injured list. The club’s 40-man roster is now full.
    clvclv is the Keeper of All Things 40-Man Roster Related, but doesn't Victor Vodnik have to go on the 40-man this off-season or be exposed to the Rule 5? Not saying that's a necessity and I don't know what the team thinks of him as a prospect, but it is at least a bit surprising if he's left off the 40-man given his performance if his two-dimensional stats are any indication.

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Rangers, please

Although if the Mets miss on degrom, they'll get rodon probably, and he owns us
    There's really not alot of top tier options on the SP market. Let's assume Kershaw/Verlander stay in LA/Houston, and DeGrom did go to Texas. That would basically leave Rodon as the last top SP. Rodon's been great the last 2 years but also has had injury problems. I think the thing with DeGrom is years, Mets will be there on the money. Doesnt sound like they'd go to 4-5 years if someone else did.

I could see Mets try to see whats out there on the trade market.

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Mets pickup Carrasco's option of 14 million to return. Not too surprising there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    deGrom may just want out of NY. The Mets will pay whatever to keep him but he may just wanna go somewhere else.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    Heyman mentioned on MLB Network today that he thinks Swanson will be the first SS off the board and sign early. He mentioned that the Braves made the offer around $100m earlier this season and that Swanson did give a counter to that offer.

This is from one of his articles.

"Word is, the Braves made an opening offer of about $100 million over six years to Swanson, which seems light. Sources suggest he did counter that offer, leading folks to believe he would indeed like to stay home in Atlanta. But the Dodgers seem to view him as a very viable and interesting option in light of the issues with Correa and Turner."

So an AAV of just over $16.5M.....
    Last edited by bravesfanforlife88; 11-10-2022 at 02:46 PM.
    Get off my lawn!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,297 Posts
    I think we are going to be disappointed in the moves this offseason. Luckily, we are still a good team

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Heyman mentioned on MLB Network today that he thinks Swanson will be the first SS off the board and sign early. He mentioned that the Braves made the offer around $100m earlier this season and that Swanson did give a counter to that offer.

This is from one of his articles.

"Word is, the Braves made an opening offer of about $100 million over six years to Swanson, which seems light. Sources suggest he did counter that offer, leading folks to believe he would indeed like to stay home in Atlanta. But the Dodgers seem to view him as a very viable and interesting option in light of the issues with Correa and Turner."

So an AAV of just over $16.5M.....
    6/100 feels way light, could certainly see the Dodgers in on him given how much less he'd cost than Turner and Correa.

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TURBO View Post
    I think we are going to be disappointed in the moves this offseason. Luckily, we are still a good team
    We locked up most of our core, added Iglesias, return most of the rotation. Really just need to find clarity on Dansby/SS, and maybe get a better LF'er. We dont have a laundry list of needs/free agents like some other clubs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    121 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    Do we have another Fritz Peterson/Mike Kekich situation (look it up) brewing if Turner signs with the Phillies? When you say "close," do you mean canoodling close?
    Lol yes, nut to butt close. It’s miserable listening to them, it’s been a brutal fall.