Page 24 of 225 FirstFirst ... 1422232425263474124 ... LastLast

Thread: Official official offseason thread

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanforlife88 View Post
    Could technically have both. Remember the Cubs are still paying Heyward. So you’d have him for the league minimum
    Curious to see what happens with Heyward. Like you say, he's only going to cost the league minimum. I don't see where he fits with the Braves.

I'm similarly curious about Duvall. Free agent. Got paid $9 MM last season. Flawed, but somewhat valuable guy if used correctly. Coming off a wrist injury, which could be curb his power numbers. Coming back to the Braves would probably require him taking a pay cut from his 2022 contract.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-14-2022)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    527 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    Curious to see what happens with Heyward. Like you say, he's only going to cost the league minimum. I don't see where he fits with the Braves.

I'm similarly curious about Duvall. Free agent. Got paid $9 MM last season. Flawed, but somewhat valuable guy if used correctly. Coming off a wrist injury, which could be curb his power numbers. Coming back to the Braves would probably require him taking a pay cut from his 2022 contract.
    I was just about to ask the same about Duvall. Think he could be had for about $6 million? I don't see anyone giving him $9 million or a multi year deal coming off the injury. But who knows.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts

Heyward would make sense if you can trade Rosario. He'd be the left handed bat, veteran lairdership, but more importantly, he is still a plus defender who can play all 3 outfield spots. This would allow Acuna to get off his legs occasionally.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBrave View Post
    I was just about to ask the same about Duvall. Think he could be had for about $6 million? I don't see anyone giving him $9 million or a multi year deal coming off the injury. But who knows.

I wouldn't be a buyer for Duvall even at $6m. He was pretty terrible last season before the injury. And with the wrist injury, there may be a power drop off as you mentioned.
    Get off my lawn!

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    Need someone that doesnt flail and fail constantly . Especially with the shift gone.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    Jon Morosi
    @jonmorosi
    ·
    13h
    Sources: #Rays are engaged in advanced trade negotiations ahead of Tuesday’s roster protection deadline. At this point, industry observers expect multiple trades by the club over the next 48 hours.
    @MLBNetwork

@MLB

QO and Rule5 rosters are supposed to be finalized by 4pm tomorrow....I heard on the radio this morning that Jesse Chavez can actually be selected in the rule5 draft if he is not on the 40 man roster.
    Get off my lawn!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesfanforlife88 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-14-2022)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Jon Morosi
    @jonmorosi
    ·
    13h
    Sources: #Rays are engaged in advanced trade negotiations ahead of Tuesday’s roster protection deadline. At this point, industry observers expect multiple trades by the club over the next 48 hours.
    @MLBNetwork

@MLB

QO and Rule5 rosters are supposed to be finalized by 4pm tomorrow....I heard on the radio this morning that Jesse Chavez can actually be selected in the rule5 draft if he is not on the 40 man roster.
    True. Also some other interesting guys available that the Braves didn't put on the 40-man roster, particularity Darius Vines and Victor Vodnik. Couldn't figure out the additions of Tonkin and Elledge except both those guys would have automatically become free agents, while guys like Vines and Vodnik have to go through the Rule 5 and there's no guarantee either will be selected (or stay with a selecting team the entire season).

9. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-14-2022)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Heyward would make sense if you can trade Rosario. He'd be the left handed bat, veteran lairdership, but more importantly, he is still a plus defender who can play all 3 outfield spots. This would allow Acuna to get off his legs occasionally.

I wouldn't be a buyer for Duvall even at $6m. He was pretty terrible last season before the injury. And with the wrist injury, there may be a power drop off as you mentioned.
    I just wonder if Heyward could outhit Rosario at this stage of his career. Heyward has fallen into 5th-OF level. I agree on the defense angle.

As most everyone here knows, I'm not a big Duvall fan, but he just seems to check a couple of boxes and he's another favorite of Snitker (and Anthopoulos as well so it seems).

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Jon Morosi
    @jonmorosi
    ·
    13h
    @MLBNetwork

@MLB

can Brandon Lowe play LF?
    Last edited by Super; 11-14-2022 at 01:26 PM.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,521 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    can Brandon Lowe play LF?
    He splits time between LF and 2B.

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,831 Posts
    True. Also some other interesting guys available that the Braves didn't put on the 40-man roster, particularity Darius Vines and Victor Vodnik. Couldn't figure out the additions of Tonkin and Elledge except both those guys would have automatically become free agents, while guys like Vines and Vodnik have to go through the Rule 5 and there's no guarantee either will be selected (or stay with a selecting team the entire season).
    Surprised they're not protecting either guy.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post
    He splits time between LF and 2B.
    not sure how realistic he is but would love him in Atlanta. probably not dealing him but then who are they dealing?
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    not sure how realistic he is but would love him in Atlanta. probably not dealing him but then who are they dealing?
    Sounds like they have quite a few arbitration eligible players and will be trading from that bunch.

I'd love to get Glasnow, but that would cost a good bit. But he'd give you another stud for the rotation, then you can sign Swanson.
    Get off my lawn!

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    Surprised they're not protecting either guy.
    The only thing I can think of is that Anthopoulos and company value past production over future projection at the margins, but even that doesn't hold up with Tonkin not having pitched in the major leagues since 2017 and Elledge not doing much in his major league stints with the Cardinals. Add to that Bracho and Rangel (and Brooks Wilson who is recovering from Tommy John surgery) and I'm not seeing the logic all the way through.

Vines has been advertised as a "pitchability" guy, so that works against him to some extent, but Vodnik has always been billed as more than that. I get it that Shewmake will likely be a longshot to be taken in the Rule 5 due to short benches, but the other two could end up on a non-contender at the end of the bullpen or in a mop-up role. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Jon Morosi
    @jonmorosi
    ·
    13h
    @MLBNetwork

@MLB

Who are the Rays' trade candidates? They usually hang on to guys like Josh Lowe because he's not arbitration-eligible at this point. Neither is Paredes. My guess is they are staying put.

They do have a ton of arbitration-eligible guys (they already moved on from Choi and Anderson), so maybe some of those guys will be moved.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,290 Posts
    Who are the Rays' trade candidates? They usually hang on to guys like Josh Lowe because he's not arbitration-eligible at this point. Neither is Paredes. My guess is they are staying put.

They do have a ton of arbitration-eligible guys (they already moved on from Choi and Anderson), so maybe some of those guys will be moved.
    Brandon Lowe has a good contract (2 years 14m guaranteed with 2 cheap club options), but basically anyone on that team that’s not pre-arb is available.

Margot, Arozarena, Raley, Mejia… all seem like the logical guys that could be on the move.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to chop2chip For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-14-2022)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    Brandon Lowe has a good contract (2 years 14m guaranteed with 2 cheap club options), but basically anyone on that team that’s not pre-arb is available.

Margot, Arozarena, Raley, Mejia… all seem like the logical guys that could be on the move.
    I thought someone above referenced Josh Lowe, but I may be mixed up. That's the Lowe who isn't arbitration-eligible yet.

It's too bad we are stuck with Ozuna (at least right now). I'm not that big on either Margot or Arozarena, but they could be handy guys. Wonder about Ryan Yarbrough.
    Last edited by 50PoundHead; 11-14-2022 at 04:08 PM.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-14-2022)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Here's an idea I've been spinning around:

Ozuna, Rosario, and Soroka to the Sox for Chris Sale? Basically becomes a swap of oft-injured pitchers. Who says no?

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    Here's an idea I've been spinning around:

Ozuna, Rosario, and Soroka to the Sox for Chris Sale? Basically becomes a swap of oft-injured pitchers. Who says no?
    Personally I think Sox have to be a bit more positive after last year. Bloom appears to be on the hot seat. And then too, what the hell would Braves do with Sale?

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PawPawMaxwell View Post
    Personally I think Sox have to be a bit more positive after last year. Bloom appears to be on the hot seat. And then too, what the hell would Braves do with Sale?
    i guess he becomes our 4th/5th starter? And i dont think Bloom is on the hotseat but if they lose Bogey, Betts and Devers, Sox fans wont be happy at all.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Heyward For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-14-2022)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,133 Posts
    Heyward is not the answer to any question on the Braves roster. Come on guys, realism…just a bit, please.