Page 28 of 225 FirstFirst ... 1826272829303878128 ... LastLast

Thread: Official official offseason thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    I dont see AA paying what Turner wants but i'd be glad to be wrong.
    I think AA wants to keep the team in tact as long as he can and Turner while costing more would do the same thing as keeping Swanson and that’s keeping the core together for a long time. It’ll be interesting to see what happens but I never would have guessed that we would be spending like we have been so nothing will surprise me. Besides having 1 of Arcia or Grissom being the starting SS come ST.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Hudson2 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-16-2022)

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    I think AA wants to keep the team in tact as long as he can and Turner while costing more would do the same thing as keeping Swanson and that’s keeping the core together for a long time. It’ll be interesting to see what happens but I never would have guessed that we would be spending like we have been so nothing will surprise me. Besides having 1 of Arcia or Grissom being the starting SS come ST.
    If we're rolling with Arcia or Grissom, AA better have something up his sleeve. Otherwise keeping Morton for 20M looks like a moronic decision.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UNCBlue012 View Post
    yeah, I just saw his savant page is pretty damn solid: https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/savan...r-pitching-mlb
    Went there as well and my impression was the same. Results not matching his stuff at this point, but he's an interesting guy if he doesn't walk the ballpark.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-16-2022)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    527 Posts
    Touki DFA'd by the Angels

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    If we're rolling with Arcia or Grissom, AA better have something up his sleeve. Otherwise keeping Morton for 20M looks like a moronic decision.
    At that point there wouldn’t be anything he could put up his sleeve unless you’re talking about something short term like deGrom.

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,761 Posts
    I mean, even without Swanson or Turner, we still have one of the best cores in baseball.

Are we gonna be a top 3 offense? Nah but maybe top 10 still.
    Forever Fredi

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    It's conceivable that the FO didn't understand the implications on the cap number when they signed all those extensions. I would be very disappointed in AA for being so ignorant, but it wouldn't be a major shock.

It's also conceivable that the Braves are going to blow past the salary cap and it doesn't matter.

I truly wouldn't be shocked by anything anymore now that this team is generating so much revenue.
    Why it would be conceivable they didn't understand the rules?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Southcack77 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-16-2022)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Chosen One View Post
    I mean, even without Swanson or Turner, we still have one of the best cores in baseball.

Are we gonna be a top 3 offense? Nah but maybe top 10 still.
    Swanson was a big part of us winning the division this year. If we don’t bring him back or an equivalent then we are a lot worse off than last year. The Phillies will be better and the Mets will spend whatever it takes to get better.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Hudson2 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-16-2022)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,703 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    Why it would be conceivable they didn't understand the rules?
    Yeah, I don't get that. AA somehow went from smart to a DA, I guess

14. The Following User Says Thank You to msstate7 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-16-2022)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    It's conceivable that the FO didn't understand the implications on the cap number when they signed all those extensions. I would be very disappointed in AA for being so ignorant, but it wouldn't be a major shock.

It's also conceivable that the Braves are going to blow past the salary cap and it doesn't matter.

I truly wouldn't be shocked by anything anymore now that this team is generating so much revenue.
    I think it's more likely that they tried to negotiate what they thought was a fair deal during the season, and when Swanson turned them down, they figured they wou seeld sure up the rotation with a familiar face.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Didn't see this in the thread (doesn't mean it's not there).

Braves add RHP Darius Vines, RHP Roddery (not twin brother Rolddy) Munoz, and IF Braden Shewmake to the 40-man roster. DFAd RHP Bracho, RHP Woods, and Swordmaster Heredia.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-16-2022), The Chosen One (11-15-2022)

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    It's conceivable that the FO didn't understand the implications on the cap number when they signed all those extensions.
    I don’t think that’s at all conceivable.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Swanson was a big part of us winning the division this year. If we don’t bring him back or an equivalent then we are a lot worse off than last year. The Phillies will be better and the Mets will spend whatever it takes to get better.
    We'd have a lineup of C- TDA/Bill, 1B- Olson, 2B- Ozzie, SS- Grissom/Arcia, 3B- Riley, LF- tbd, CF- Harris, RF- Acuna, DH- tbd. Questions around DH, LF, but if we let Swanson go, i would presume they'd use that money for DH/LF. But thats pending if they can dump Ozuna/Rosario/Pina to save some cash or not.

Thats still a pretty good lineup but do agree Philly/NYM will do what they can to get better. Philly seems likely to land one of the big 4 at shortstop. Mets still have questions mainly with their pitching but they'll spend under Cohen. If we dont land one of the top shortstops or at least improve the DH or LF situation, AA better have something up his sleeve.
    Last edited by Heyward; 11-16-2022 at 08:05 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,703 Posts
    We'd have a lineup of C- TDA/Bill, 1B- Olson, 2B- Ozzie, SS- Grissom/Arcia, 3B- Riley, LF- tbd, CF- Harris, RF- Acuna, DH- tbd. Questions around DH, LF, but if we let Swanson go, i would presume they'd use that money for DH/LF. But thats pending if they can dump Ozuna/Rosario/Pina to save some cash or not.

Thats still a pretty good lineup but do agree Philly/NYM will do what they can to get better. Philly seems likely to land one of the big 4 at shortstop. Mets still have questions mainly with their pitching but they'll spend under Cohen. If we dont land one of the top shortstops or at least improve the DH or LF situation, AA better have something up his sleeve.
    If dansby leaves, im more worried about defense than offense. Dansby was a huge asset to our pitching staff

21. The Following User Says Thank You to msstate7 For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (11-16-2022)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts

If all of that happens I don’t know what he could have up his sleeve.

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    If all of that happens I don’t know what he could have up his sleeve.
    Yeah we arent in on Judge or DeGrom/Rodon most likely. So would have to work the trade market and our best package is probably something like Anderson, Malloy, Grissom, Muller, etc. Not terrible but not sure what thats getting us.

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    If dansby leaves, im more worried about defense than offense. Dansby was a huge asset to our pitching staff
    Yep, he can pick it at shortstop. I'm not against him leaving if the money/years got out of control but i'd take him back all things considered. We already have a lot invested into this core so why not one more deal lol.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,897 Posts
    There is almost zero doubt that the last years of a Dansby FA deal is going to be an albatross. The bat is going to fade and I think fade hard.

If we wants a 3 year deal, sure. I'm not going 6 for Dansby.
    Ivermectin Man

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Tapate50 For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (11-16-2022)

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    There is almost zero doubt that the last years of a Dansby FA deal is going to be an albatross. The bat is going to fade and I think fade hard.

If we wants a 3 year deal, sure. I'm not going 6 for Dansby.
    He'd be going into his age 29 season of year 1 of the deal. It's not like he's 33 right now. The contract would be his age 29 to 34 age seasons if it's 6 years. His defense would probably start to slip some, but would depend if this year and last year are a trend or not. The last year or 2 might be bad, but all free agent deals that long have risks of guys entering their 30's.

I dont think 6 for Dansby would be as bad as everyone thinks.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    agree. Especially next to Riley and his lack of range.

I could understand a Grissom at SS if you think he's a future plus bat and can handle the position. It seems like the consensus scouting is that he can't handle the position.

That said, I only understand Grissom at SS if you are putting an impact bat in LF. Not sure who that is other than Judge. Maybe they can figure out a Conforto deal and maybe Conforto is that person. But I think this team needs to win and improve and they need that impact bat.

If they are not going to add an impact bat at SS or LF then the Morton extension was a disaster. B/c I think we have internal options for a mid rotation starter. I know some people are very high on the Henry-Malloy guy in AAA as a LF, but I'm not. Seems like he could be a solid starter, he's not an impact bat. And we need an impact bat now.