Page 31 of 225 FirstFirst ... 2129303132334181131 ... LastLast

Thread: Official official offseason thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    DOB and Rosenthal have no clue what the Braves will do. I don't know why we continue to try and take these guys word as gospel when they are wrong about the Braves every time. I still believe we have plenty of money.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to zbhargrove For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-18-2022)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,274 Posts
    The Braves can go over the luxury tax and pay a penalty yet in actual dollars spent spend less than the luxury tax threshold. At the end of the day, I’m sure the only number AA is accountable for is what gets sent to players on a check.

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    DOB and Rosenthal have no clue what the Braves will do. I don't know why we continue to try and take these guys word as gospel when they are wrong about the Braves every time. I still believe we have plenty of money.

I'm not sure we'll land one of the top shortstops, but do agree i dont think Rosenthal's and DOB's word/reporting as gospel. Thats basically what everyone is going off of. Plus as we know, AA doesnt leak anything so who the hell knows what he's doing/planning to do.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Heyward For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-18-2022)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,487 Posts
    David O'Brien
    @DOBrienATL
    ·
    28m
    “I’m taking this opportunity to instill as much as I possibly can in him, so that when we hit spring training, if we don’t sign Dansby back, we have options. This kid (Grissom) has got some upside. We’ve got to have him ready.” — #Braves’ Ron Washington
    Get off my lawn!

Outskirts Of Mobile, Alabama. Roll Tide!!!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,774 Posts
    I’ve been trying to figure out clearly what the spin off (may not be saying that correctly) of the Braves by Liberty means. I’m not the best in understanding things like that. Just makes me wonder if Liberty may be setting up a future sale of the team.
    Chopping With The Braves And Rolling With The Tide

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,274 Posts
    For once in my life, I don’t really care all that much if Liberty sells the Braves. We suffered through 20 years of the downsides of corporate ownership. Now that the Braves are a cash cow, we can enjoy the benefits of corporate ownership where the team will just leave us alone and let the team spend the money it’s earned.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to chop2chip For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-18-2022)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonCowboy View Post
    I’ve been trying to figure out clearly what the spin off (may not be saying that correctly) of the Braves by Liberty means. I’m not the best in understanding things like that. Just makes me wonder if Liberty may be setting up a future sale of the team.
    I think its more to attract investors to continue the build out of the battery.

I also think that the out year projections are so strong that they want the Braves organization to stand on its own for the investor community.

All good signs.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    I'm no business guru, but that was my impression when I read the Eric Fisher Twitter thread. It seems to set up the Braves and the Battery independent from the rest of Liberty and makes the value of those entities more transparent, which drives up the asking price, but also gives prospective buyers a clear picture of what they are getting.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-18-2022)

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    It seems like a spinoff would grant the team autonomy, and would prevent the direct or indirect siphoning of profits in good years like we saw under TW AOL ownership. We likely won't see something like a long-term well below market TV deal to make another part of the corporation appear more profitable, as the only relevant parts of the new company would be the team and its real estate interests. Those would probably trend in the same direction and both benefit from the team being successful on the field.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    I'm not sure we'll land one of the top shortstops, but do agree i dont think Rosenthal's and DOB's word/reporting as gospel. Thats basically what everyone is going off of. Plus as we know, AA doesnt leak anything so who the hell knows what he's doing/planning to do.
    I also don't think we will sign one of the big ones. But I think we will still make one big signing (left field or SP) and trade for a good SS

15. The Following User Says Thank You to zbhargrove For This Useful Post:

PawPawMaxwell (11-17-2022)

Spring Training Invitee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    The spinoff being discussed is Liberty setting up a new entity that will own just the Braves. This is typically done when a corporate assets is seen to be more valuable if it is not tied to other corporate holdings. In a spinoff, everyone with an ownership interest in Liberty would get an equal percentage ownership interest in the new Braves entity.
    I would think the sale of the Braves, as an asset to a private individual, would be accomplished without first spinning it off. Thus, the plan for a spinoff seems aimed at permitting the Braves to be publcily traded outside of Liberty. The one caveat could be the majority owners in Liberty cannot simply sell themselves the Braves without likely facing significant claims relating to the fair market value of the club. So the spinoff could be a way for them to gain individual control of the Braves while limiting potential legal claims from interested shareholders. Definitely worth watching.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OcalaBrave For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (11-17-2022), jpx7 (11-18-2022)

High School Draftee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    On a different subject, how about we get Jarlin Garcia from SF.
    They DFA'd him earlier in the week.
    Would pair well with Minter and Lee from the lh side of the pen.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to percival For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-18-2022)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    There has been plenty of speculation Adames could be traded. But please, be an ass for no reason. Will he be traded? Probably not... but he's just as likely to be traded as Rosario. But thanks for your extra stupid questions that make you feel clever.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2022/...medium=twitter
    so your basis for “Adames makes more sense than Reynolds” is one blurb of pure speculation by MLB trade rumors. got it. how could i have missed that.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    so your basis for “Adames makes more sense than Reynolds” is one blurb of pure speculation by MLB trade rumors. got it. how could i have missed that.
    Not really sure what you're talking about... I have never said anything about Reynolds. I said he makes more sense than Rosario... which he does... for the Braves. It had nothing to do with whether he actually would be traded or not. Rosario and Adames being traded is ALL speculation (and I clearly never said it was anything BUT speculation) and there's a chance neither will be traded. But to me, of the two... for the Braves Adames makes more sense. It's not hard to understand. I think you're having a reading problem. Its all speculation man... stop being a douche to be a douche.
    Last edited by zbhargrove; 11-17-2022 at 11:19 AM.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to zbhargrove For This Useful Post:

PawPawMaxwell (11-17-2022)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    The Braves won’t go cheap at SS. It’ll be one of the big 4 or Adames. We have the money and the need. I am super intrigued by Burnes though. If we did trade with the Brewers he’d be my top target.

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    The Braves won’t go cheap at SS. It’ll be one of the big 4 or Adames. We have the money and the need. I am super intrigued by Burnes though. If we did trade with the Brewers he’d be my top target.
    I dont know if we cheap out on short, but also unsure if we get one of the big 4 either. Never know what AA is doing though.

Swallowed by Mark Bowman
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,269 Posts
    The problem with trading for Rosario, Adames or any other pretty good Major League shortstop is that our farm system is basically fallow and we can be outbid by just about any other shortstop-needy club. We can cobble together a package of Grissom and a bunch of fringe-y pitchers (Muller, Elder, Schuster, Tarnok, etc), but that only gets you so far.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to MadduxFanII For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-18-2022)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    526 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    For once in my life, I don’t really care all that much if Liberty sells the Braves. We suffered through 20 years of the downsides of corporate ownership. Now that the Braves are a cash cow, we can enjoy the benefits of corporate ownership where the team will just leave us alone and let the team spend the money it’s earned.
    This is especially true when you look at it in the context of the meddling owners around the league who have pretty much ruined their franchises. The Angels immediately come to mind. I know they won the world series and have been a successful team for many years in a row. But there was a recent article on ESPN about Astros owner Jim Crane, who took a more hands on approach following the scandal. His heavy handed approach essentially forced out GM Click.

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MadduxFanII View Post
    The problem with trading for Rosario, Adames or any other pretty good Major League shortstop is that our farm system is basically fallow and we can be outbid by just about any other shortstop-needy club. We can cobble together a package of Grissom and a bunch of fringe-y pitchers (Muller, Elder, Schuster, Tarnok, etc), but that only gets you so far.
    Too many of us tend to over-value prospects especially ours. I agree with your premise but I will re visit an earlier speculation if Brewers should reposition on Burns and Adames. Id offer up Albies and Anderson and a few lower level prospects.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    If Vaughn Grissom or Arcia can't hack it at SS, we could revert Albies to SS. He'd have to cut out that loopy throwing motion but he was a good SS in his own right way back.

Admittedly, this would be a worst case scenario.
    Ivermectin Man