Page 39 of 225 FirstFirst ... 2937383940414989139 ... LastLast

Thread: Official official offseason thread

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,364 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    I think if we just go with what we have, we're in the 90-92 range. Need to make at least one big time move this winter even if it isnt one of the top end shortstops. I refuse to believe AA spent all our remaining funds on Morton. A full year of Harris and Strider will be huge, as well as a healthy year from Acuna.
    this..
    the addition of Acuna resurgance and Ozzie being healthy will be like adding two huge FA..
    Harris continuing to grow and be around for a full year and Strider hopefully doing the same (with more freaking rest Twitner)
    possible of a Olson power surge and a better year from Mort..

we have the pieces.. we just have nothing if someone goes down or doesn't produce. Would have to pray Ozuna or Sorryio can resurge maybe.
    Coppy

2. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (11-28-2022)

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    we are a 90 win team healthy. Only problem is we don't have a very deep reserve.. or a reserve at all really. I want desperately to get rid of Ozuna and Rosuckio and be able to add good players for that money.. but we might be stuck with what we have and roll with it this next year and make move with money coming off books next.
    We're in a realllly tough spot if we cant move Ozuna or Rosario though. Position players wise, we're already looking at:

Bill/TDA
    Olson
    Albies
    Grissom
    Riley
    Acuna
    Harris
    Rosario
    Ozuna/Bill DH

Bench: Bill, Ozuna, Arcia, Pina. Need one more outfielder if we cant move Rosario or Ozuna. Or move Pina for the roster spot, catcher is a dead end around baseball.

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    this..
    the addition of Acuna resurgance and Ozzie being healthy will be like adding two huge FA..
    Harris continuing to grow and be around for a full year and Strider hopefully doing the same (with more freaking rest Twitner)
    possible of a Olson power surge and a better year from Mort..

we have the pieces.. we just have nothing if someone goes down or doesn't produce. Would have to pray Ozuna or Sorryio can resurge maybe.
    How many teams have great options if someone goes down? Even the great Dodgers dont have the depth they used to have. Bill, TDA, Albies, Riley, Olson, Harris, Acuna is good for 7 spots. SS and the last outfield spot is a question. Do the Braves love Grissom or is that all talk? Guess we'll find out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,701 Posts
    Not too concerned about it... braves will have 2 big time prospects emerge this season. They always do

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to msstate7 For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (11-29-2022), mfree80 (11-28-2022)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    It’s not that we don’t have the money for Swanson it just all comes down to value. I think AA sees what Swanson was before this year and most people will too. He won’t be worth what he’s wanting going forward and I think he’ll have to come down some on his asking price. The team is not broke and can probably get whatever player they want if they think the value will be there.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Well that also depends on if AA thinks Swanson is worth that per year and however long Swanson feels he should be signed for. The length of deal may be the issue.
    Could be Freeman redux due to how long Anthopoulos is willing to go.

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    Could be Freeman redux due to how long Anthopoulos is willing to go.
    Supposedly hes already offered 6 years to Swanson.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    Starting to get PTSD with Swanson/Freemans agent...
    Get off my lawn!

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    The idea is that they had ~20 million to spend on a player and felt Morton was the best choice if Swanson wasn't accepting it. None of the other big SS are going to sign for that low and I'm not sure any other SS would be worth going that high on in free agency.
    I just don’t find that to be the likeliest scenario.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    487 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    It’s not that we don’t have the money for Swanson it just all comes down to value. I think AA sees what Swanson was before this year and most people will too. He won’t be worth what he’s wanting going forward and I think he’ll have to come down some on his asking price. The team is not broke and can probably get whatever player they want if they think the value will be there.
    Every year we go through this discussion. It is rarely said out loud, but the inference is that if we are serious about winning we need to be in on the big name free agents. AA has built what we are by (mostly) staying away from the big time FA's. Not that they are not great players who would help a bunch... but rather they are not always the "best value" and usually require years beyond their obvious window of playability. That is what it takes to get them.

My guess is that AA will come up with a SS that we are not expecting. I suspect he is working hard to get rid of Ozuna. Rosario is less of an problem because a healthy year as a platoon player probably makes him a reasonable choice, but getting rid of him would be good as well.

That is probably the shoe that needs to fall before addressing SS/LF.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mfree80 For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (11-28-2022), jpx7 (11-28-2022), PawPawMaxwell (11-28-2022)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    It's odd to me that he would go six on Swanson and not on Freeman. If it is the case that he's willing to go six on Swanson, he must be lowballing him on the AAV or throwing in an extra team-option year (or something to that effect).

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    Where did the "supposedly" come from???????????

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    It's odd to me that he would go six on Swanson and not on Freeman. If it is the case that he's willing to go six on Swanson, he must be lowballing him on the AAV or throwing in an extra team-option year (or something to that effect).
    I don't necessarily disagree with you; however, the counterpoint is that Swanson is hitting FA three years younger, and (to a lesser extent, since his bat would play less) has room to slide down the defensive spectrum (unlike Freeman, who'd have nowhere to go but DH). It's also a different year, and Anthopoulos may simply feel differently going into 2023 than he did going into 2022.

I still think there's a non-trivial chance they sign Correa. I'm less interested in Bogaerts (due to likely defensive decline necessitating a shift to 3b) and Turner (given how much of his game is speed-premised). To be honest—as much as I loved his contributions, and had been an advocate for him during his early down years—I'm also wary of signing Swanson to six years, given his profile. The problem this year is there isn't a ready-made alternative on the trade-market, à la Olson.

So the options appear to be FA, internal gamble, or stop-gap. If the Braves' internal evaluations are anywhere near as rosy on Grissom as Zips, I'm betting they gamble internally, especially with Arcía as a viable fallback. But if that's the case, I don't think they hold off upgrading other areas of the roster—instead, I think we'll see somebody like Haniger brought in to join the OF mix, and some additional cash allocated either to a serious SP upgrade, or spread around to back-end SP and bullpen depth.
    Last edited by jpx7; 11-28-2022 at 06:46 PM.

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PawPawMaxwell View Post
    Where did the "supposedly" come from???????????
    Believe Heyman said we offered 6/120.

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    6 to Swanson for a shortstop at his age 29 season starting takes him to age 34, not terrible. 6 to Freeman at his age 32-33 season takes him to 37-38 for a 1B who generally tend to age quite terribly. Quite frankly, 5 years to Freeman scared me. Still firmly believe AA made the right move on Freeman.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Heyward For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (11-29-2022), jpx7 (11-28-2022)

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    Believe Heyman said we offered 6/120.
    Thanks. I hadn't heard that one. Just for consideration. Wasnt there some hard feelings reported re: AA and Casey Close, owner of Swansons agency. Imo Heyman doesnt spend much time on Braves issues. Could it be a leak from the agents side? Just doesnt fit the operating standard of AA to back up.
    Last edited by PawPawMaxwell; 11-28-2022 at 06:19 PM. Reason: further thought

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    I don't necessarily disagree with you; however, the counterpoint is that Swanson is hitting FA three years younger, and (to a lesser extent, since his bat would play less) has room to slide down the defensive spectrum (unlike Freeman, who'd have nowhere to go but DH). It's also a different year, and Anthopoulos may simply feel differently going into 2023 than he did going into 2022.

I still think there's a non-trivial chance they sign Correa. I'm less interested in Bogaerts (due to likely defensive decline necessitating a shift to 3b) and Turner (given how much of his game is speed-premised). To be honest—as much as I loved his contributions, and had been an advocate for him during his early down years—I'm also wary of signing Swanson to six years, given his profile. The problem this year is there isn't a ready-made alternative on the trade-market, à la Olson.

So the options appear to be FA, internal gamble, or stop-gap. If the Braves' internal evaluations are anywhere near as rosy on Grissom as Zips, I'm betting they gamble internally, especially with Arcía as a viable fallback. But if that's the case, I don't think they hold off upgrading other areas of the roster—instead, I think we'll see somebody like Haniger brought in to join the OF mix, and some additional cash allocated either to a serious SP upgrade, or spread around to back-end SP and bullpen depth.
    Sort of forgot about Brandon Nimmo, but he'd also be a really intriguing option if he comes in around the 5/$100m projection that's been thrown around FG and elsewhere. Just turned 29; capable of playing a decent CF, but has been better in the corners (especially LF, where his marginal throwing arm is less of an issue); fringy power, but successfully traded some BB% in 2022 for better AVG (without abnormal babip luck, at .317); still posted a good walk-rate/OBP (10.5%/.367); cut strikeouts (17.2%); and ultimately totaled .353 woba / 134 wrc+ / 5.4 fwar. Steamer projects .353 woba / 131 wrc+ / 4.7 fwar in 2023.

Given that the projected 5/$100 would slot him right under that ~$22m AAV mark that seems like the sweet-spot for Anthopoulos, he might represent the best option if the Braves gamble on Grisson/Arcía at SS. He'd add a contact-oriented, high-OBP element to the Braves' lineup; he'd provide some CF insurance in the event Harris spends anytime on the IL (and removes the temptation to ever slow Acuña there); he'd improve the LF defense substantially; and that Brett Gardner-profile seems like it would age well into his early-30s.
    Last edited by jpx7; 11-28-2022 at 07:05 PM.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jpx7 For This Useful Post:

Garmel (11-28-2022), JohnAdcox (11-29-2022)

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,760 Posts
    Sort of forgot about Brandon Nimmo, but he'd also be a really intriguing option if he comes in around the 5/$100m projection that's been thrown around FG and elsewhere. Just turned 29; capable of playing a decent CF, but has been better in the corners (especially LF, where his marginal throwing arm is less of an issue); fringy power, but successfully traded some BB% in 2022 for better AVG (without abnormal babip luck, at .317); still posted a good walk-rate/OBP (10.5%/.367); cut strikeouts (17.2%); and ultimately totaled .353 woba / 134 wrc+ / 5.4 fwar. Steamer projects .353 woba / 131 wrc+ / 4.7 fwar in 2023.

Given that the projected 5/$100 would slot him right under that ~$22m AAV mark that seems like the sweet-spot for Anthopoulos, he might represent the best option if the Braves gamble on Grisson/Arcía at SS. He'd add a contact-oriented, high-OBP element to the Braves' lineup; he'd provide some CF insurance in the event Harris spends anytime on the IL (and removes the temptation to ever slow Acuña there); he'd improve the LF defense substantially; and that Brett Gardner-profile seems like it would age well into his early-30s.

Which means Snit will use him in the 8 hole.

Snit is going to die on the Acuna or Harris hitting leadoff hill.
    Forever Fredi

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts

Nimmo is the best OF'er on the market, after Judge signs. Think he'll have a much larger market than some think. Wouldnt mind him at all though, could really use a contact bat/high OBP in the outfield.

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Heyward For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (11-29-2022), jpx7 (12-01-2022)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Nimmo is the best OF'er on the market, after Judge signs. Think he'll have a much larger market than some think. Wouldnt mind him at all though, could really use a contact bat/high OBP in the outfield.
    We seem to live or die by the long ball so it’d be nice to have a high OBP guy.

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hudson2 For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (11-29-2022), jpx7 (12-01-2022)