Page 215 of 225 FirstFirst ... 115165205213214215216217 ... LastLast
Results 4,281 to 4,300 of 4482

Thread: Official official offseason thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    527 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    Yeah he basically said Atlanta fans suck compared to Chicago fans. He was never gonna be welcomed back like FF was anyway. The Cubs won’t finish better than 3rd in that division.
    He basically said pro sports in Atlanta, are not as big of a deal as they are in Chicago. But is he wrong? The times I've been to Atlanta, it felt like college football was the king down there.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to NYCBrave For This Useful Post:

DirkPiggler (03-02-2023)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,369 Posts
    This whole Swanson shade is silly. I mean someone asked him about his new team and city.. what is he supposed to say.. I love ATL better. He said the fans here love their team just like the place I came from. but sports here seem to be on another level. Cubs are everything here.. He isn't wrong. Cubs have a long history (generations of fans) where Atl has bounced around to different states and then cities before landing in Cobb. It is not a slight on Brave's fans to say Cub fans are a bit more crazy.
    Coppy

4. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

DirkPiggler (03-02-2023)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,369 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBrave View Post
    He basically said pro sports in Atlanta, are not as big of a deal as they are in Chicago. But is he wrong? The times I've been to Atlanta, it felt like college football was the king down there.
    you are not wrong. people are talking about the Bulldogs or Bama or Tenn or how some Miss team will be good but still be wrong all year round. Braves have there crazies.. but as a fanbase, they are diestracted by other things way more than Chicago imo...
    Coppy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,521 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    This whole Swanson shade is silly. I mean someone asked him about his new team and city.. what is he supposed to say.. I love ATL better. He said the fans here love their team just like the place I came from. but sports here seem to be on another level. Cubs are everything here.. He isn't wrong. Cubs have a long history (generations of fans) where Atl has bounced around to different states and then cities before landing in Cobb. It is not a slight on Brave's fans to say Cub fans are a bit more crazy.
    All he had to say was that the Cubs fans are great and he’s really happy with his new team. You don’t have to diss your former home to prop the other one up.

I’m not offended by his comments, but its not hard to understand why it’s not a good look.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,492 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    Blake Burkhalter to have Tommy John
    I would imagine that eliminates even the small chance of him starting. He'll be back pitching in games right before turning 24 years old. Bummer.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,290 Posts
    Y’all are making much too big a deal about this. Swanson himself is a huge Atlanta sports fan. He’s not trashing them.

I did have a chuckle when Dansby talked about how he prayed about the decision and God told him this was the right thing to do. I think God saw the $177m and told him, “am I missing something? Why haven’t you signed this already”

9. The Following User Says Thank You to chop2chip For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (03-02-2023)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    Y’all are making much too big a deal about this. Swanson himself is a huge Atlanta sports fan. He’s not trashing them.

I did have a chuckle when Dansby talked about how he prayed about the decision and God told him this was the right thing to do. I think God saw the $177m and told him, “am I missing something? Why haven’t you signed this already”

Yeah. I'm a pretty religious (but not particularly pious) guy myself, but I always get a kick out of the invocation of the Lord when it comes to decisions like this. If it works for him, fine. I'm not going to trash him over it. That said, I agree with your angle on what I've bolded.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts

The Braves essentially gave him an offer that was a take it or leave it offer well before Cubs made their offer. From the sounds of it, the Cubs are paying him around $50-$75m more than the Braves offer......not a lot of praying needs to be done there IMO
    Get off my lawn!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,521 Posts

I’m not making a big deal about anything. I don’t care, and I don’t necessarily disagree with him. But there was no reason for him to throw that in there. Leave your former employer out of it. It comes off like a cope job.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Feel like the Braves are the only thing the South has consensus on sports wise.

But it's not a hugely passionate thing.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,133 Posts
    Just another instance of Atlanta finding a reason to bash a guy on his way out of town. This fanbase does it literally every time a guy leaves. It's a pretty pathetic defense mechanism to deal with being upset a good player left.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,051 Posts
    I honestly don't understand why anyone is upset Swanson decided to leave. Chicago offered him an ill advised amount of money while AA offered all he felt comfortable offering. Dansby chose the significantly more lucrative offer. If he decided to leave over a negligible difference in money (e.g. Freeman) then I could understand people being annoyed. But the Cubs offered him significantly more. I don't fault him for taking it.

I do think the Cubs were stupid for offering what they did. Dansby is a very good SS but odds are last year was the peak of his career. By the end of that contract it's likely going to be pretty terrible.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,521 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Just another instance of Atlanta finding a reason to bash a guy on his way out of town. This fanbase does it literally every time a guy leaves. It's a pretty pathetic defense mechanism to deal with being upset a good player left.
    Literally no one here is upset Dansby left for that amount of money. Oh, except that one guy who hates everything the Braves the do.

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CyYoung31 For This Useful Post:

Tapate50 (03-03-2023), thethe (03-04-2023), zedsdead (03-03-2023)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    Feel like the Braves are the only thing the South has consensus on sports wise.

But it's not a hugely passionate thing.
    Same here in Minnesota. Twin Cities are a lot like Atlanta in that there are quite a few transplants with little allegiance to the Twins. Plus, it's a Vikings' town. South is more a college football area so it's different levels of the game, but, like up here, football is the sport that elicits the most excitement. More Vikings' coverage in the spring/summer than Twins' coverage. Hockey team probably gets the next most coverage after the Vikings. Forget about the Timberwolves and U of MN. Asterisks (on a good day).

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,133 Posts
    I can't even imagine the type of person it takes to be a diehard Vikings fan.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Oh, they are all horrid. I don't watch that much football anymore, but I'm so old that the first NFL team I cheered for was the Packers. Same with the Braves. I had locked in on those teams pre-1961 when the Twins and Vikings both arrived in my home state. Made for some good wrestling matches with my brothers who immediately latched onto the newcomers.

I can't stand the Vikings.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,703 Posts
    I'm a saints fan, so I detest the Vikings. They've bounced us from the playoffs like every time we saw them... well, except the one that had the Super Bowl
    on the line

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,992 Posts
    Aside from casuals, who the hell is upset that Dansby left? Lol

23. The Following User Says Thank You to UNCBlue012 For This Useful Post:

Tapate50 (03-04-2023)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    Rangers signed our old friend Will Smith.
    Get off my lawn!

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,133 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UNCBlue012 View Post
    Aside from casuals, who the hell is upset that Dansby left? Lol
    Well…someone is crying about his quote, or it wouldn’t have become a topic on this board.