Page 216 of 225 FirstFirst ... 116166206214215216217218 ... LastLast
Results 4,301 to 4,320 of 4482

Thread: Official official offseason thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,519 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Well…someone is crying about his quote, or it wouldn’t have become a topic on this board.
    The only person crying in this thread is you, as usual.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post
    The only person crying in this thread is you, as usual.
    No need to get defensive hero. I wasn’t criticizing you and your fragile ego.

I’m referring to the uproar folks were discussing in this thread, not the people in the thread. That’s why I referred to the “fanbase” rather than “this board”.

Reading comprehension…get some?
    Last edited by Enscheff; 03-05-2023 at 11:42 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,519 Posts
    No need to get defensive hero. I wasn’t criticizing you and your fragile ego.

I’m referring to the uproar folks were discussing in this thread, not the people in the thread. That’s why I referred to the “fanbase” rather than “this board”.

Reading comprehension…get some?
    Ok, buddy. I mean, considering no one outside this board was brought up in this discussion, considering you didn’t specify, and considering that 90% of your posts are criticizing what people on this board decide to talk about, it’s pretty fair to assume it was directed at someone here.
    Last edited by CyYoung31; 03-05-2023 at 01:34 PM.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    314 Posts
    Told y'all Dans would not mind one bit putting on another uni. Won't be any tear-filled presser when the Cubbies come to town.

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,761 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VirginiaBrave View Post
    Told y'all Dans would not mind one bit putting on another uni. Won't be any tear-filled presser when the Cubbies come to town.
    Dans only grinded here for roughly a year and some change before we won the division again and have been competitive since.

Freddie was the last true link to the end of the Cox and Chipper era. Watched the team rise for a few seasons before being blown up and did stay with the team through the full rebuild.

Dansbys first full season was in 2017 when we opened suntrust and had pretty good attendance despite not being a playoff team.

Freddie was there for a lot of empty nights at the dying years of the Ted when we were throwing out those AAAA lineups.

I am pretty much over the fact Freddie left, but the two are not even comparable. Freddie was way more important to the franchise than Dansby ever was. The only reason people still love Dansby is because he was a local boy.
    Forever Fredi

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Chosen One For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (03-06-2023), UNCBlue012 (03-06-2023)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    527 Posts
    Wow!

The Braves plan to stop the sale of season tickets to preserve the availability of single-game tickets.

Braves president Derek Schiller says this is the first time in team history season ticket sales have been cut off before the first game.

The Braves plan to cut off the sale of season tickets on or around March 17. The team says it is on pace to approach the 2022 Truist Park record total of more than 3.1 million in attendance, the first time since 2020 at Turner Field the Braves topped 3 million.

The Braves finished fourth in the majors last season with their average of 38,461 fans at Truist Park.

"We are now focused on ensuring that more of our fans who only come to one or two games are able to buy seats," Schiller said in a statement released by the team.

The Braves say their April 6 home opener against San Diego and some other high-profile games already are approaching sellout or standing room only status.

After March 17, fans who want to purchase season tickets for 2024 can sign up and be placed on a waiting list for priority.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...tickets-opener

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NYCBrave For This Useful Post:

buck75 (03-06-2023), JohnAdcox (03-06-2023)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,858 Posts
    Eclipsing 3 million again would be great. I assume a competitive team would get them there.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

buck75 (03-06-2023)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,130 Posts
    The pitch clock has potential to add layers of strategy I never considered: https://blogs.fangraphs.com/max-sche...h-clock-rules/

Of course the dinosaurs complaining about losing compelling strategy with the introduction of the DH are the same fools complaining about the pitch clock. I'm sure those mouth breathers won't concede the fact the pitch clock may add more strategy to the game than any amount of PHing for the pitcher or bunting from the pitcher ever did. Instead, they will continue to cry about change because change is bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,897 Posts
    Show us on the doll where the bad man touched you.
    Ivermectin Man

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,365 Posts
    The pitch clock has potential to add layers of strategy I never considered: https://blogs.fangraphs.com/max-sche...h-clock-rules/

Of course the dinosaurs complaining about losing compelling strategy with the introduction of the DH are the same fools complaining about the pitch clock. I'm sure those mouth breathers won't concede the fact the pitch clock may add more strategy to the game than any amount of PHing for the pitcher or bunting from the pitcher ever did. Instead, they will continue to cry about change because change is bad.
    I am not sure there is any strategy in that article. Just players gaming a rule, which players have been doing for decades now. there is going to be punch counter punch between hitters and pitchers until the league has to modify the rule to end the clear advantage one might have.. if that ever comes about.. To me, I like the pitch clock to a degree, just think it is a bit too much too quick and probably more favorable to the pitcher, which might not be too bad since the other rule changes favor the offense.
    Coppy

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    I am not sure there is any strategy in that article. Just players gaming a rule, which players have been doing for decades now. there is going to be punch counter punch between hitters and pitchers until the league has to modify the rule to end the clear advantage one might have.. if that ever comes about.. To me, I like the pitch clock to a degree, just think it is a bit too much too quick and probably more favorable to the pitcher, which might not be too bad since the other rule changes favor the offense.
    Huh? Scherzer literally discussed his strategy with the pitch clock.

In-game strategy is infinitely more compelling than a manager predictably bunting a pitcher or sending up someone to PH for the pitcher. Yet the dinosaurs complained about losing that boring strategy while also complaining about gaining the compelling strategy. They also bemoan analytics despite the fact analytics introduce quite a bit of defensive strategy and lineup construction strategy.

So their arguments were never about "strategy". "Strategy" was just the tagline used by dumb people to justify why they don't like change, and lack the self awareness to recognize that fact.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,365 Posts
    Huh? Scherzer literally discussed his strategy with the pitch clock.

In-game strategy is infinitely more compelling than a manager predictably bunting a pitcher or sending up someone to PH for the pitcher. Yet the dinosaurs complained about losing that boring strategy while also complaining about gaining the compelling strategy. They also bemoan analytics despite the fact analytics introduce quite a bit of defensive strategy and lineup construction strategy.

So their arguments were never about "strategy". "Strategy" was just the tagline used by dumb people to justify why they don't like change, and lack the self awareness to recognize that fact.

But what Max is doing is no different that what hitters would do before the clock. Stepping out and breaking temp was a 'strategy' imployed for decades. So was the quick pitch if a pitcher wanted to do it. So the pitch clock isn't adding 'new' strategy just changing the way players game a rule. No different than a guy trying to deke a pitcher into a balk when leading off 3rd.. or a pitcher steping off to shorten a lead, or even a group of players using trash cans to get pitch types. So I don't think you comparing apples to apples. What a manager has to do within a game (bunting/ PH'ing) is not equal to what players do within a game to game a rule. And I seriously doubt a manager is going to imploy a staff wide pitch clock strategy.
    Coppy

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,130 Posts
    Yeah, I see what you mean. I suppose what I'm calling "new strategy" is more along the lines of "faster paced strategy". These bits of gamesmanship will be occurring every 10-20 seconds, which I think will be far more entertaining than a guy stepping out of the box and grabbing his nuts every other pitch. Or watching a manager tell the pitcher to bunt when we all know that's what always happens, and knew it was going to happen 20 minutes before it actually happens.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 03-06-2023 at 07:10 PM.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Yeah, I see what you mean. I suppose what I'm calling "new strategy" is more along the lines of "faster paced strategy". These bits of gamesmanship will be occurring every 10-20 seconds, which I think will be far more entertaining than a guy stepping out of the box and grabbing his nuts every other pitch. Or watching a manager tell the pitcher to bunt when we all know that's what always happens, and knew it was going to happen 20 minutes before it actually happens.
    Mike "The Human Rain Delay" Hargrove would have led the league in times struck out without ever swinging the bat. Nomar wouldn't have been far behind.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

buck75 (03-08-2023)

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,761 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    Mike "The Human Rain Delay" Hargrove would have led the league in times struck out without ever swinging the bat. Nomar wouldn't have been far behind.
    And yet, Nomar was one of the exceptions to the rule for his time. but he definitely inspired newer up and coming younger players to have all these rituals. Ryan Howard was another one.

You also can't discount that games are also taking longer because batters are taking more pitches. Working more counts. Was watching some odl games on MLB network and the amount of swings at first pitches and grounders to short on 92mph fastballs was so common, not just against Maddux. Hitters would destroy those pitches now.
    Forever Fredi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,519 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    Ugh, Nomar.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,897 Posts
    Sure hope this RP from Detroit pans out because JHM was a legit option for LF if he was playing well a few months in
    Ivermectin Man

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Tapate50 For This Useful Post:

buck75 (03-08-2023)

NL Rookie of the Year CrazyTrain's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    191 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VirginiaBrave View Post
    Won't matter b/c the Cubs are back to being irrelevant. Enjoy all the losing, Dans!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,897 Posts
    This Painter kid from Philly is gonna be a problem.
    Ivermectin Man

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    619 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    This Painter kid from Philly is gonna be a problem.
    Yep…. At least we aren’t Philly fans thinking: “These Strider and Grissom and Harris kids in ATL are gonna be a problem”
    😁😁😁😁😁