Thread: The Twitter Deal

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts

The Twitter Deal

Banks that committed to help finance Elon Musk’s takeover of Twitter Inc. plan to hold all $13 billion of debt backing the deal rather than syndicate it out, according to people familiar with the matter, in another blow to a market that serves as a crucial source of corporate funding.

The banks decided to park the debt on their balance sheets to avoid selling it at a loss to bond and loan fund managers, who have grown increasingly skittish amid rising market turmoil, the people said.

Twitter could have the dubious distinction of being the biggest so-called hung deal of all time, surpassing a crop of them in the global financial crisis, when banks were stuck with around $300 billion of committed debt they struggled to sell to investors.

The Twitter move threatens to bring the faltering leveraged-buyout pipeline to a standstill by tying up capital that Wall Street could otherwise use to back new deals.

The $44 billion Twitter takeover is backed by banks including Morgan Stanley, Bank of America Corp. and Barclays PLC, which signed agreements in April to provide Mr. Musk with the debt financing he needed to buy the company. They had originally intended to find third-party investors, such as loan asset managers and mutual funds, who would ultimately lend the money as is customary in leveraged buyouts.

But rising interest rates and growing concerns about a recession have cooled investors’ appetite for risky loans and bonds. Mr. Musk’s past criticism of Twitter’s alleged misrepresentation of the condition of its business and the number of fake accounts on the platform aren’t helping either—nor is a deterioration in Twitter’s business, the people added.

Banks would likely face losses of around $500 million or more if they tried to sell Twitter’s debt at current market prices, The Wall Street Journal previously reported. If all the banks hold the debt instead, they can mark it at a higher value on their books on the premise that prices will eventually rebound.

Banks also face a timing problem: Mr. Musk and Twitter have until Oct. 28 to close his planned purchase, and there is still no guarantee the unpredictable billionaire will follow through or some other trouble won’t arise. (If the deal doesn’t close by that time, the two parties will go to court in November.) That means the banks wouldn’t have enough time to market the debt to third-party investors, a process that normally takes weeks, even if they wanted to sell it now.

Assuming the deal closes, banks hope to be able to sell some of Twitter’s debt by early next year, should market conditions improve by then, some of the people said. Twitter’s banks are discussing how to potentially slice up the debt into different pieces that could be easier for hedge-fund investors or direct lenders to swallow, one of these people said.

The banks have good reason to want to hold the debt for as short a time period as possible.

Holding loans and bonds can force them to set more capital aside to meet regulatory requirements, limiting the credit banks are able to provide to others. Banks also face year-end stress tests, and they will want to limit their exposure to risky corporate debts before regulators evaluate the soundness of their balance sheets.

So far this year, banks have already taken hundreds of millions of dollars worth of losses and been forced to hold a growing amount of buyout debt.

Twitter’s debt, including $6.5 billion of term loans and $6 billion of bonds, would add to the increasing pile banks eventually intend to syndicate, recently estimated by Goldman Sachs at around $45 billion.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/elon-mu...d=hp_lead_pos4
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Safe to say these banks are hoping the deal doesn't close.

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Safe to say these banks are hoping the deal doesn't close.
    I think you mean the Globalists who have used Twitter for a decade now to shape public opinion and withhold actual truth.

But sure - Probably a lot of overlap in those two groups.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    I think you mean the Globalists who have used Twitter for a decade now to shape public opinion and withhold actual truth.

But sure - Probably a lot of overlap in those two groups.
    Although I worked for couple of them for many years, I'm not a fan of any of the banks in this syndicate. To the extent I have a rooting interest I'm hoping the deal goes through so they end up with the debt on their books. I'm buying popcorn so I can enjoy the show when the **** hits the fan.

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Twitter Inc. has struggled for most of its history to make a profit. If Elon Musk completes his $44 billion acquisition of the social-media platform, one factor will make that harder: the money he borrowed to fund the transaction.

As part of the deal, Twitter will add about $13 billion of debt. Analysts estimate, based on terms previously laid out in documents related to the transaction, that Twitter would be on the hook for annual interest payments of more than $1 billion, compared with some $51 million in 2021. Twitter has posted average annual earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation and amortization of about $700 million over the past five years.

That interest burden means Twitter will need to find ways to make revenue grow and expand profit margins, said Jordan Chalfin, a senior analyst at credit-research firm CreditSights. “They’ll probably burn a significant amount of cash,” he said.

Because some of the buyout debt is expected to be a floating rate, Twitter could end up paying more, analysts said, based on the details previously laid out in the documents. The Federal Reserve has raised rates this year and is expected to do so again in November.

Meanwhile, the broader business environment has gotten more challenging, particularly for social-media companies because of headwinds in the digital advertising industry.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/elon-mu...=hp_lista_pos1

The finances on this deal are going to be a challenge for a lot of parties.

"I am your retribution."