Thread: Technology Nerd Thread

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,760 Posts
    Bought the Samsung gear fit watch for 99 at best buy. Retails between 149 and 199 at most places. Great deal despite it being limited. I'm hoping someone Will develop useful apps for it. Don't use the pedometer and sleep feature much because thr S Health app sucks. As a watch by itself though it's really beautiful.
    Forever Fredi

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    440 Posts
    The IBM and Apple enterprise deal will be huge for Apple.

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,467 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Krgrecw View Post
    The IBM and Apple enterprise deal will be huge for Apple.
    I'm not commenting on the deal, but what don't you think will be huge for Apple? I guess them buying Beats but ater it happened you probably would have changed your tune.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,467 Posts

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    440 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    I'm not commenting on the deal, but what don't you think will be huge for Apple? I guess them buying Beats but ater it happened you probably would have changed your tune.

What's wrong with the beats deal? It gives them the most respected guy in the music game.
    You still going to sing Teslas praises after It leaks that Apple is a big partner of Theresa?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,467 Posts
    What's wrong with the beats deal? It gives them the most respected guy in the music game.
    You still going to sing Teslas praises after It leaks that Apple is a big partner of Theresa?
    LMAO For real?

Not even 20 posts up

Hate the ****ing Beats deal. I'll give Tim Cook the benefit of the doubt
    Well it warms my heart that you've come around and think that everything apple does is brilliant and gonna be huge for them.

You confuse me with an Apple hater. If Apple makes a quality product that I could see the value in, I'd buy it. I've considered buying a Mac Book pro. I'm just leery of spending big money on a computer again.But I have 0 interest in buying an iPhone when they're the same prive or more than far superior Android Phones and Android's OS is far superior.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,467 Posts
    http://www.droid-life.com/2014/08/17...t-of-features/

249 compared to 229 for the G Watch. Gauntlett has been thrown it seems.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Just saw this; so glad ... almost pulled the trigger on a Gear Live for $140 from Amazon yesterday. Will gladly wait (with scant patience).

Also, Texas Instruments processor? That's interesting.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,467 Posts
    Kind of with Qualcomm's processors being the dominating one, but they have ARM processors out there already. I'm guessing they made a deal with Motorola that was cheaper than Qualcomm. IIRC the issues non-qualcomm companies had on devices had to do with LTE radios. That shouldn't be an issue on the wearable market.

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    440 Posts
    Motorolas having a press conference five days before Apple has theirs? That's retarded. All the tech press will be talking about The new iPhones and ios8. Any other device will be lost in the shuffle.

To each his own, but I'm not sold on smart watches. I imagine more people will be into activity trackers than smart watches

You still need your phone nearby to really do anything with a smart watch so you're using two devices; one that does everything (phone) and one that doesn't do a tenth as much but it goes on your wrist (watch). Why would someone need a smart watch?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,467 Posts
    Motorolas having a press conference five days before Apple has theirs? That's retarded. All the tech press will be talking about The new iPhones and ios8. Any other device will be lost in the shuffle.

To each his own, but I'm not sold on smart watches. I imagine more people will be into activity trackers than smart watches

You still need your phone nearby to really do anything with a smart watch so you're using two devices; one that does everything (phone) and one that doesn't do a tenth as much but it goes on your wrist (watch). Why would someone need a smart watch?
    Actually many smartwatches have the capacity to act just like activity trackers. They can store information locally so I'm presuming say the moto 360 could have like the fitbit your pedometer info and then wirelessly sync it to your phone.

Then add to that say you're at work or at a meeting and you want to check for an important message, it's much easier to just glance at your watch then to pull your phone out of your pocket. Say you're a city traveller and you're walking around wouldn't it be easier to ust lift your hand up to see where you're going instead of either holding your smartphone all of the time or pulling it from your pocket.

Of course the second Apple announces a Smartwatch you'll be on board. So there's no point really debating you.

Secretary of Statistics AerchAngel's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    I love my 10 inch pad, it blew my friends iPad away at a 1/3 the cost. What was really cool, I had a 32 gb card with 6 blue ray movies on it and played perfectly. He can only keep two on at most.

He did boast battery life when watching movies, but since I have an LG charger, that is not an issue.

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    440 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    Actually many smartwatches have the capacity to act just like activity trackers. They can store information locally so I'm presuming say the moto 360 could have like the fitbit your pedometer info and then wirelessly sync it to your phone.

Then add to that say you're at work or at a meeting and you want to check for an important message, it's much easier to just glance at your watch then to pull your phone out of your pocket. Say you're a city traveller and you're walking around wouldn't it be easier to ust lift your hand up to see where you're going instead of either holding your smartphone all of the time or pulling it from your pocket.

Of course the second Apple announces a Smartwatch you'll be on board. So there's no point really debating you.

I didnt start an apple comparison you did. I just stated that I don't think smart watches will ever be mainstream. Every smart watch has always been a dud on the market.
    A pedometer doesn't make this valuable.

In your scenario about waiting for an important message wouldn't it be easier to look at your wrist? Yes it would. But what if they had a question? Out comes the phone.

If you're out walking and whatever, what if you need to text or need to make a call? Out comes the phone

Secretary of Statistics AerchAngel's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    I didnt start an apple comparison you did. I just stated that I don't think smart watches will ever be mainstream. Every smart watch has always been a dud on the market.

In your scenario about waiting for an important message wouldn't it be easier to look at your wrist? Yes it would. But what if they had a question? Out comes the phone.

If you're out walking and whatever, what if you need to text or need to make a call? Out comes the phone
    It can wait till I can get home. As for texting, they will be waiting a long time. I don't text and need help when I do.

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    440 Posts
    Wouldn't be shocked if most traffic accidents are because of texting one day soon.

Years ago, I tried to build a little cell phone jammer in the front of my car so the bastards around me would focus on driving instead of calling. then someone told me that'll make it worse, since everyone will look at Thier phone and think something's wrong with if.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,467 Posts

I just brought up Apple cause that's the benchmark for you considering something is a good idea.

IIRC Android Wear is fully google now integrated so you can respond via voice input and create via voice input. So say you got off the train to meet your buddy Jeff for lunch and you're 10 minutes away and you're supposed to be there, wake up your screen, give Google Now your voice command to text jeff and tell him you're late. And someone is making a keyboard that you can use on Android Wear, don't recall if it's out.

As far as why they've failed in the past, that mainly has to do with Ugly devices that don't do much. Moto360 will be the first real smartwatch test in the non-Apple ecosystem. iWatch depending on cost will probably have heavy adoption for iPhone users.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,467 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,467 Posts
    I've been watching the Surface pro 3 ad comparing it to the Mac Book Air is interesting.

If I compare the 128 GB 13 inch Macbook Air vs Surface. Mac Book air costs 950 bucks comes with a 1.4 GHz i5 processor 4 GB ram, 128 GB flash ram. Surface Pro 3 with the surface keyboard, 128 GB ram, 4 GB Ram 1.9 GHz i5 costs 1,129 bucks. In terms of internals they're basically equals. I'm not sure where the 2 processors stack up without knowing the specifics as the listed info on processors always suck. As far as accessory differences, in the Surfaces advantage it has a touchscreen. For the macbook's advantage it has more USB ports (2 to 1) it has a thunderbolt port as well. Both have a minidisplay port.

In otherwords, I think microsoft is lying in their ad saying the Macbook is lesser to the Surface. Which bargain wise I don't believe it is. Upgrade the macbook air to an i7 8GB of Ram and 512 GB of ram it comes to 1749 and the surface for the same price runs 2079 with the keyboard.

I like the Surface but I don't think Microsoft is wise comparing it to a non-touchscreen computer. Would be better comparing it someone using a Macbook and an iPad both instead using the surface as one computer.
    Last edited by zitothebrave; 08-24-2014 at 09:22 AM.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,467 Posts
    They say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.