Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Technology Nerd Thread

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    I received an invitation to Google Glass about a month ago, but couldn't afford to get one (so ended up selling my code on eBay for $50). It is the benchmark for wearables as far as I'm concerned, but still needs a literal ****-ton of development before it's consumer ready. Although I'm sure if Google dropped the price to $300 they would sell like hotcakes, even as a relatively simple piece of equipment.

Pebble Steel is beautiful, I have been considering it ... but apparently Samsung just pushed up the launch of the Galaxy Gear II to the MWC in a few weeks, so I'm going to wait ... just like I'm waiting for KitKat on my Note.

You just know that somebody is going to break through on watches in a unique way, and I think it's going to happen this year.
    I think Razer may be the big break through. For those who haven't checked it out here's a preview

http://www.engadget.com/2014/01/06/r...bu-smart-band/

The broad potential of the device is exciting and the price point can't be beat. Question is will adoption be high enough. If it is it could be the killer smartwatch the big breakthrough as stylish, cheap, social, and health.

Love the Pebble Steel look though, just odn't know if I'd love it as a smart watch. I have little hope for the Galaxy Gear 2.

And Glass is going to be the future. Maybe not glass as you know it now but imagine if you will you like fixing your own computer. You own a dell laptop and you can get an AR guide on how to remove say the motherboard that shows you on your device what you need to do. The utilization potential of AR is insane. NYPD or LAPD (I Forget) Is testing glass which could work very well in law enforcement. From a consumer perspective, as a city dweller/visitor the navigation could prove wonderful. And unlike smartwatches you can audibly respond to texts and things of that nature.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,757 Posts
    LOL at the thought of Apple improving their iPhone….

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    They'll improve it, it's more the innovation that's the problem. Has the iPhone ever made as drastic of a change and design innovation as the G2? Hopefully the new one will change I like competition.

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    440 Posts
    Google glasses will be a dud:

A) you look like a douche for wearing one in public. No hottie will ever wear one.
    B) privacy issues. Creeps will love them.
    C) every bar, concert, theatre will ban them. They've already started.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Krgrecw View Post
    Google glasses will be a dud:

A) you look like a douche for wearing one in public. No hottie will ever wear one.
    B) privacy issues. Creeps will love them.
    C) every bar, concert, theatre will ban them. They've already started.
    Concert and theaters yes, bars, not so much. I believe the only bar I've heard of banning them is that douchebag guy who did it for publicity. And what privacy case can you make for glass that you can't make for a cell phone?

As fat as the hottie point, thats just moronic. Though fun fact, people said the same thing about vibram's years ago, meanwhile you catch Hugh Jackman, Channing Tatum, and ScarJo among the people who wear them. Ignoring that little pointless anecdote. What you don't realize is glass is very much in beta, and it's going to switch it's tech up as it gets out of beta they'll focus on consumer design and attraction.

Gwinnett Bound
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    199 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    Concert and theaters yes, bars, not so much. I believe the only bar I've heard of banning them is that douchebag guy who did it for publicity. And what privacy case can you make for glass that you can't make for a cell phone?

As fat as the hottie point, thats just moronic. Though fun fact, people said the same thing about vibram's years ago, meanwhile you catch Hugh Jackman, Channing Tatum, and ScarJo among the people who wear them. Ignoring that little pointless anecdote. What you don't realize is glass is very much in beta, and it's going to switch it's tech up as it gets out of beta they'll focus on consumer design and attraction.
    Now you're letting google, the NSA and whoever can hack the glasses the chance to see the world through your eyes. How that doesn't set off red alarms in your head is crazy to me.

Here's how I picture Zito walking around thinking he's cool. I can't photoshop so this is the best I can do.

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,757 Posts
    They'll improve it, it's more the innovation that's the problem. Has the iPhone ever made as drastic of a change and design innovation as the G2? Hopefully the new one will change I like competition.
    That's the point. They have innovated that phone since the iPhone 1 (which was obviously amazing at the time)... Samsung has blown it out of the water.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    Ehhh, the GS4 is basically the GS3 with a slightly larger screen and some gestures from the Note 2. Samsung largely sat on their laurels with the GS4 and losing sales to Motorola, LG and HTC who did all make big changes to their flagship devices.

Samsung is falling into the device spam cycle, they're far and away my least favorite of the big 4 Android phone manufacturers.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    And ESP I don't own a cactus, or any kind of khaki pants much less a duct taped pair of Khaki shorts. I do admittingly own a pair of cargo shorts which I wear when I need to carry a lot of **** during the summer or at picnics cause what else do you wear to a picnic other than cargo shorts? And I'm not a crazy person like my dad who wears pants all of the time.

Gwinnett Bound
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    199 Posts
    And ESP I don't own a cactus, or any kind of khaki pants much less a duct taped pair of Khaki shorts. I do admittingly own a pair of cargo shorts which I wear when I need to carry a lot of **** during the summer or at picnics cause what else do you wear to a picnic other than cargo shorts? And I'm not a crazy person like my dad who wears pants all of the time.
    It concerns me that you're worried about the cactus and khaki shorts since those are the two least offensive parts of that outfit.

Now I do agree with you on the cargo carrying capabilities of cargo shorts. Bro fist.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ESP47 View Post
    It concerns me that you're worried about the cactus and khaki shorts since those are the two least offensive parts of that outfit.

Now I do agree with you on the cargo carrying capabilities of cargo shorts. Bro fist.

Vibrams are the greatest pair of footwear that there is. I don't wear them nowcause **** that I'm not getting frost bite. But once it gets above 40 I wear it as long as it's not nasty outside. THey look wonky but they're super comfortable and fantastic for exercising.

ANd the glass I'll get you can hate i don't care. When your ass is lost or walks into a someone because you're staring at your phone, you can get at me then. What what

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    440 Posts

You do realize it's awfully obvious if someone is taking a picture with a cellphone. Can a person wearing this sit and take pics and record videos of random people? Yes. Very Secretly. That's a major privacy issue. That's Why concerts and theaters are banning them. You can record video all day long. Bars will too. It will weird people out. No reason to even have this.

Google glass is a nerd thing. No Hollywood star/hottie will ever wear or use one of these. You think people go out and buy Vibram because Channing Tatum uses one? Nope. You think if Channing Tatum wore google glass and talked about how cool they are people would buy one? Yes

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    I bought vibrams since their inception.

I wear them for workouts, and sometimes I wear them socially depends on if it's nasty outside because your feet will odor the entire room if it gets wet and ultra sweaty.

Great shoes, also great conversation pieces. It started the conversation with my ex, she bought some we went out running a few times and went from there.
    Forever Fredi

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    440 Posts
    Exactly Sav. It's a niche product. If you work out you'll like them. Unlike clothes, music, movies, technology no one Is going to go out and buy vibram if some hot actor/actress/athlete wears them. but people will buy clothing brands, listen to a certain musical artist, watch a hard to find movie, or use technology if an actor/athlete/musician/actress
    Talks about it.

How does google glasses improve your daily life? Why should joe blow buy one? How does it make his life easier or better?

It doesn't make your life any easier. Why it will fail. Just like that watch. Served no purpose.

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    If the watches were an upgrade on fuelband or fitbit I'd buy. For casual reasons no. Fuelband is so generic but I keep getting a free one lol.
    Forever Fredi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    You do realize it's awfully obvious if someone is taking a picture with a cellphone. Can a person wearing this sit and take pics and record videos of random people? Yes. Very Secretly. That's a major privacy issue. That's Why concerts and theaters are banning them. You can record video all day long. Bars will too. It will weird people out. No reason to even have this.

Google glass is a nerd thing. No Hollywood star/hottie will ever wear or use one of these. You think people go out and buy Vibram because Channing Tatum uses one? Nope. You think if Channing Tatum wore google glass and talked about how cool they are people would buy one? Yes
    It's not obvious someone is taking a photo if you're discreet. I've snapped many photos without the target knowing. Hell I recorded a whole concert without someone finding out. There is a reason to have it if you're connected. I've already listed many reasons why it will change how things work.

Imagine if you will, a surgeon who can see your body temp, heart rate or whatever they look at in their peripheral vision so they can monitor it more closely and be more attentive to his surgery. That's one of many practical uses that glass can have. Again you're massively underestimating the value overall to a city dweller/visitor. Police are researching it's effectiveness.

As far as no hollywood star/hottie will ever wear of them, how else would you explain people like Brandy, Alyssa Milano, or Neil Patrick Harris want to be part of the explorer program?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    So the iPhone saphire glass rumor is killed for now. Supposedly cost killed it. Sapphire will supposedly be on the iWatch screen.

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    440 Posts
    So the iPhone saphire glass rumor is killed for now. Supposedly cost killed it. Sapphire will supposedly be on the iWatch screen.

I don't think it's killed. There's a factory in Arizona with an order making them. Apple is a secretive company. Won't know for sure until one leaks out

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    I don't think it's killed. There's a factory in Arizona with an order making them. Apple is a secretive company. Won't know for sure until one leaks out
    You won't know for sure, but according to people who're generally right about apple pre-releases, they tested it at Foxconn and nixed it. Maybe they'll change their mind since they still have a month or so to finalize the design.

I'm guessing given the new screen sizes they may be doing too much trying to build a sapphire screen as well. Who knows the reasoning but as of now, the rumor of an all sapphire screen is dead. Sure there will be a new one in a few weeks though

Also the rumor is the 5c will be gone. Not going to free like say the 4s. I find that hard to believe since Apple for 2 years has done the free-100-200 model that they'll drastically change that. Rumors of the introduction of a phablet lead me to believe they'll switch to a free-100-200-300 model. But I'm not sure about the other part.

On an unrelated musing, is Microsoft really in trouble now? I don't expect the tech giant to vanish, but between the rise in mobile usage and their poor foothold on tablets or smartphones, it's looking rough for them. Even the XBox One is struggling right now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts
    On an unrelated musing, is Microsoft really in trouble now? I don't expect the tech giant to vanish, but between the rise in mobile usage and their poor foothold on tablets or smartphones, it's looking rough for them. Even the XBox One is struggling right now.
    I'm kind of the tech guy in the small town I live in. I've been doing pc tech support and repairs as a hobby/side job here for about 10 years. Over the last couple years, seems like everyone is moving away from PC's. Everyone and their grandmother has a tablet, mostly ipads. Only people who need it for work are buying desktops or laptops these days.