Page 28 of 29 FirstFirst ... 1826272829 LastLast

Thread: Technology Nerd Thread

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    440 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    Learning that AIM is being discontinued in December brought all kinds of wavy nostalgia today.

I finagled my way into my first girlfriend's panties using that beautiful program.

Shame they never thought to develop it as an app (edit: Apparently they did ... just not soon enough).

AOL IM Brings back memories.

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    I really regret not getting Pixel Buds when I had the shot. I don't really want to wait 5-6 weeks and instead will wait to see if anything else comes on the market to replace my motorola buds that are starting to die.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    Usually meh on Apple products but the AirPods have been great.

Was using Jaybird X1-X3 for years but hard to not use my AirPods. Only wish they were in black not white.
    Forever Fredi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    I heard the airpods were fine, but the concern was losing them. I want the Pixel Buds for the software support. I love the idea of Google Assistant in my headphones.

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    I don't know what type of activities you'd do to lose them.

I am active. Go running, I hit tennis balls for an hour with them on. I sweat a bunch and they don't slip out. Honestly I thought they'd be hard to lose but they're not. Someone would have to really poke them out of your ear. And when they're off you'd know so you'd stop immediately to try and find it. it has a really nice case that charges them when you're not using them.
    Forever Fredi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    Early returns from CES suck. Only new tech I've seen that's interesting is NVidea's BFGD, but I wouldn't pick it up because I have AMD.

But I finally got a Nest and it's amazing. Especially last week when my furnace shat the bed it let me watch my home temp from a far.

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    I'm late to the party. But I love my Note 8. Just got it this past Saturday.
    Forever Fredi

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Forever Fredi View Post
    I'm late to the party. But I love my Note 8. Just got it this past Saturday.
    I despise the location of the fingerprint scanner and the facial recognition tech is horrible. I switched from the S8+, to the Note 8, and then to the iPhone X. Have generally been pleased with the iPhone, although I find the camera oddly lackluster in comparison to Samsung's and the screen is just meh. If Samsung fixes the godforsaken fingerprint scanner (maybe in the screen?) for the S9 then I'll probably switch back, although I live and die by iMessage and Android still offers nothing remotely comparable in that realm.

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    I despise the location of the fingerprint scanner and the facial recognition tech is horrible. I switched from the S8+, to the Note 8, and then to the iPhone X. Have generally been pleased with the iPhone, although I find the camera oddly lackluster in comparison to Samsung's and the screen is just meh. If Samsung fixes the godforsaken fingerprint scanner (maybe in the screen?) for the S9 then I'll probably switch back, although I live and die by iMessage and Android still offers nothing remotely comparable in that realm.
    S9 supposedly will have fingerprint in screen. Which means Note 9 will.

I had an i7+ because when my Note4 died all the Note7 were being recalled. Had that for a year and finally switched back to the Note (Have been using Notes since the NII)

I bought a used iPhone 6+ in mint condition for under $100 cash just for FaceTime and message. Both my sister's and parents have iPhones and Facetiming my nieces and parents was a big plus. So now I just use Hotspot for my note8 and connect my 6+ via wifi hot spot just for FaceTime and iMessaging. Also so I can still use my Airpods for music without burning battery for my Note8. Most people probably wouldn't wanna carry around 2 phones but I used to carry my Note 4 and iPod Touch around for many years. So it works out for me.
    Forever Fredi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    I have to say, I played a lot with my girlfriend's dad's mac over the last few weeks. And boy is it frustrating. He has his son's old Macbook Pro, still in pretty great shape aside from the battery being shot to hell. Anyway he wasn't a good owner and never did the updates. He was so old I don't even remember who OS he was on but it was old. So we had to get him up to Mountain Lion to get the Mac App Store or something like that. So we do that and go to get whatever the current OS is (High Sierra?) and it can't because in order to get it you need to have a computer made in the last 6 years. It didn't matter that this was a higher end Macbook Pro and had the storage, RAM and pure processing power to run the OS from a logistic standpoint, all that mattered was that it was too old. You need a 2012 or newer Macbook to run the latest Mac OS. Now I was able to do what he wanted thanks to some website which gave me a dev download link to El Capitan in the app store. But basically he's sitting on a fully functioning device that isn't the fastest in the world. But at some point soon will not be able to use iTunes which is a big thing. Meanwhile his almost as old Windows PC can get the latest iTunes because Windows DGAF. You can have an old computer, as long as it meets the requirements to run the OS.

Of course that's not to say Windows is without issues. This was around the same time I was playing with Windows Firewall issues.

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    440 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    I have to say, I played a lot with my girlfriend's dad's mac over the last few weeks. And boy is it frustrating. He has his son's old Macbook Pro, still in pretty great shape aside from the battery being shot to hell. Anyway he wasn't a good owner and never did the updates. He was so old I don't even remember who OS he was on but it was old. So we had to get him up to Mountain Lion to get the Mac App Store or something like that. So we do that and go to get whatever the current OS is (High Sierra?) and it can't because in order to get it you need to have a computer made in the last 6 years. It didn't matter that this was a higher end Macbook Pro and had the storage, RAM and pure processing power to run the OS from a logistic standpoint, all that mattered was that it was too old. You need a 2012 or newer Macbook to run the latest Mac OS. Now I was able to do what he wanted thanks to some website which gave me a dev download link to El Capitan in the app store. But basically he's sitting on a fully functioning device that isn't the fastest in the world. But at some point soon will not be able to use iTunes which is a big thing. Meanwhile his almost as old Windows PC can get the latest iTunes because Windows DGAF. You can have an old computer, as long as it meets the requirements to run the OS.

Of course that's not to say Windows is without issues. This was around the same time I was playing with Windows Firewall issues.

Tell him that Apple is killing iTunes next year and to go ahead and sign up for Apple Music.

Secretary of Statistics AerchAngel's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    Question

I have a Sony 900EX series and a Sony HDR UHD player?

I saw Star Wars and Ragnarok and I saw them on lower level players as well. I saw no difference. They were the same.

Does an HDMI cable make a difference? I looked online and they said no. Both TV and DVD player tells me the throughput and it is not a lot.

When I watch Into the Badlands on Netflix, it killed in visuals compared to those black HDR UD dvds, not even close.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Krgrecw View Post
    Tell him that Apple is killing iTunes next year and to go ahead and sign up for Apple Music.
    He wouldn't do that because of Amazon. But also there's no way Apple kills iTunes. Rebrands it and reroll it sure. But the best way to piss off a healthy chunk of their iPhone users is to eliminate iTunes as people who had iPhones because they had iPods 15 years ago will just say **** you to Apple and leave. Some people have hundreds if not thousands of dollars in music in iTunes that if that just poofed away or had some forced monthly subscription, people wouldn't just take it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AerchAngel View Post
    Question

I have a Sony 900EX series and a Sony HDR UHD player?

I saw Star Wars and Ragnarok and I saw them on lower level players as well. I saw no difference. They were the same.

Does an HDMI cable make a difference? I looked online and they said no. Both TV and DVD player tells me the throughput and it is not a lot.

When I watch Into the Badlands on Netflix, it killed in visuals compared to those black HDR UD dvds, not even close.
    I'll get into it later, but HDMI does matter for transmission rates which with large data files (like a 4K film) can make a difference. I haven't played a ton with 4K blu rays, but when I have, I've noticed a better quality. Not jaw dropping, but IMO it's better than regular blu ray by a decent amount and DVD by a ton.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    I'll get into it later, but HDMI does matter for transmission rates which with large data files (like a 4K film) can make a difference. I haven't played a ton with 4K blu rays, but when I have, I've noticed a better quality. Not jaw dropping, but IMO it's better than regular blu ray by a decent amount and DVD by a ton.
    well regular blu-ray players play much better on my HDR UH D DVD and TV, Serenity is much different on that than the other old Blu-Ray player I had.

I am not happy because my 1/3 off at the video place ends soon and I want to watch all the blockbusters before it runs out.

Logan
    Jumangi
    Mazerunner
    Blazerunner
    Justice League
    Wonder Woman

I want to see them in the best format. I already seen them in blu-ray.

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    440 Posts
    He wouldn't do that because of Amazon. But also there's no way Apple kills iTunes. Rebrands it and reroll it sure. But the best way to piss off a healthy chunk of their iPhone users is to eliminate iTunes as people who had iPhones because they had iPods 15 years ago will just say **** you to Apple and leave. Some people have hundreds if not thousands of dollars in music in iTunes that if that just poofed away or had some forced monthly subscription, people wouldn't just take it.
    Only idiots pay $1.25 a song when you can download whatever and how many songs you want for $9.99 a month. People will still have access to their catalog of downloaded songs but you won’t be able to purchase songs anymore. No one is going to leave the Apple ecosystem after years to join the ****ty fragmented android system over that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Krgrecw View Post
    Only idiots pay $1.25 a song when you can download whatever and how many songs you want for $9.99 a month. People will still have access to their catalog of downloaded songs but you won’t be able to purchase songs anymore. No one is going to leave the Apple ecosystem after years to join the ****ty fragmented android system over that.
    Android is hardly fragmented. And people will leave if they piss on iTunes. And some peopel won't pay for streaming because they don't spend 120 bucks a year on music.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    well regular blu-ray players play much better on my HDR UH D DVD and TV, Serenity is much different on that than the other old Blu-Ray player I had.

I am not happy because my 1/3 off at the video place ends soon and I want to watch all the blockbusters before it runs out.

Logan
    Jumangi
    Mazerunner
    Blazerunner
    Justice League
    Wonder Woman

I want to see them in the best format. I already seen them in blu-ray.
    Honestly the only film I have on 4k that i've watched on my whole setup is the Last Jedi and it looked amazing. Though I wasn't comparing it to anything. I did just get Bladerunner 2049 and am incredibly excited to watch that and I have the Nolan anthology which is epic.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    Honestly the only film I have on 4k that i've watched on my whole setup is the Last Jedi and it looked amazing. Though I wasn't comparing it to anything. I did just get Bladerunner 2049 and am incredibly excited to watch that and I have the Nolan anthology which is epic.
    i must be doing something wrong. It looked the same on Blu-Ray as in UHD/HDR. I even went to the settings and how the setup and it said HDR at whatever MPS or something like that.

I have a Sony 90055EX and a SONY X700 DVD player, the TV was 1000 and the DVD was 240.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    i must be doing something wrong. It looked the same on Blu-Ray as in UHD/HDR. I even went to the settings and how the setup and it said HDR at whatever MPS or something like that.

I have a Sony 90055EX and a SONY X700 DVD player, the TV was 1000 and the DVD was 240.
    Hmm, I mean there's a chance those particular films weren't shot in a high enough resolution to really notice a huge difference between the upscaling or not. Also could depend on how they were scaled. For example FLAC is a high quality audio sound if it comes from the Master, but if it comes from the CD it's just a larger CD file.