Thread: Braves pay to remove Odor. Bring back Allard

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanforlife88 View Post
    DoB is very adamant we will not be a luxury tax team, citing sources inside the Braves organization who handle the budget.

David O'Brien
    @DOBrienATL
    ·
    9h
    Right. But that's only important if you're pushing luxury tax. They won't be. It will show up in their "official" payroll in some places, but doesn't mean anything to team for their own bookkeeping. Doesn't affect what they have to spend this year one bit.

David O'Brien
    @DOBrienATL
    ·
    9h
    You can tell me it's not accurate, or I can go with what I'm told by the people actually setting the payroll who say they won't be a luxury tax team. But if you know more than them about their plans, by all means, forge ahead.
    DOB is good at what he does, but we'd basically have to punt free agency/trade deadline if we're not even gonna dip into the tax. Fangraphs us at 228 already, Spotrac is at 214. Unless AA can get someone to take on Ozuna, Rosario and Pina while taking on no salary coming back.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Lol @ DOB. AA isn’t gonna tell him what we have to spend. McGuirk has already said he wants us to be too 5 payroll and that brings luxury tax.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    DOB is good at what he does, but we'd basically have to punt free agency/trade deadline if we're not even gonna dip into the tax. Fangraphs us at 228 already, Spotrac is at 214. Unless AA can get someone to take on Ozuna, Rosario and Pina while taking on no salary coming back.
    yep.. we are already done this year if DOB is correct.. I doubt he is correct and he won't come back and eat crow when we do dip this year.
    Coppy

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    BTW today is the 1st day that free agents can officially negotiate with any team they like.

I fully expect AA to sign Correa and deGrom today or this offseason is FINNISH!
    Get off my lawn!

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    I'm expecting it to be a slow playing market. Maybe a couple BP arms sign today but doubt anyone big-time signs this quickly. I'm most interested which SS comes off the board first?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    I highly doubt DOB's sources are that high up. People making those decisions don't typically discuss those sort things with reporters off the record. If DOB isn't willing to name his source, then he's probably talking to a scout or an assistant.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    I hope it doesn’t drag out like it did last year. Boras has Correa and Xander so it probably will. He wants Turner and Swanson off the board first so he can control the last 2 pieces.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    I hope it doesn’t drag out like it did last year. Boras has Correa and Xander so it probably will. He wants Turner and Swanson off the board first so he can control the last 2 pieces.
    I think the problem is one of Correa or Turner (perhaps both) will have to land before teams look into Bogaerts or Swanson and I think Bogaerts and Swanson know that their markets get radically different and offers likely get better if they wait. It's going to be musical chairs with the half dozen teams looking for shortstops hoping they have a chair to land on when the music stops.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    77 Posts
    I’m going to be wrong but I have a feeling we get deGrom and he will sign early. Idk why I have that feeling, maybe it’s just diarrhea, but have the feeling nonetheless.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunit24 View Post
    I’m going to be wrong but I have a feeling we get deGrom and he will sign early. Idk why I have that feeling, maybe it’s just diarrhea, but have the feeling nonetheless.
    It really does feel like a 3 team race for him with the Mets, Rangers, and Braves. I do agree that I think he signs early. But I feel like it is the Rangers that he signs with. He'd need to take a drastic pay cut to sign here, and I don't see that happening.

We are okay in the rotation....again, we are okay, not great.....But our biggest need is to sign or replace Dansby. That should be our #1 priority and first move on our agenda.
    Get off my lawn!

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    It really does feel like a 3 team race for him with the Mets, Rangers, and Braves. I do agree that I think he signs early. But I feel like it is the Rangers that he signs with. He'd need to take a drastic pay cut to sign here, and I don't see that happening.

We are okay in the rotation....again, we are okay, not great.....But our biggest need is to sign or replace Dansby. That should be our #1 priority and first move on our agenda.
    You can do a LOT worse than Wright/Fried/Strider/Charlie as a top 4, with guys like Soroka, Anderson, Muller, Tarnok, Elder, etc for the 5th spot. Fully agree we need to focus on finding how to keep Dansby or replace him before we do anything else.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Only way I could see deGrom is if they can move Ozuna AND Rosario both. The Dodgers are gonna be right there for deGrom imo.

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Only way I could see deGrom is if they can move Ozuna AND Rosario both. The Dodgers are gonna be right there for deGrom imo.
    Sounds like Rangers or Mets for him.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    The Dodgers make some sense for deGrom, but personally, I think they are a long shot. They need to replace Turner at SS and they already are paying Bauer $45m next season.
    Get off my lawn!

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,290 Posts
    The Dodgers make some sense for deGrom, but personally, I think they are a long shot. They need to replace Turner at SS and they already are paying Bauer $45m next season.
    They are off the hook completely for Bauer since he’s suspended by MLB.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    They are off the hook completely for Bauer since he’s suspended by MLB.
    Looked at it incorrectly. For whatever reason, I thought 2024 was the final year of his deal.

However, he is appealing the suspension and if it is overturned, or shortened, he is due $35.3M for 2023....so even if they cut him, they'd still have whatever the retro is on the salary held against their luxury tax.

Just something to watch. I doubt his suspension is reduced a significant amount.
    Last edited by bravesfanforlife88; 11-10-2022 at 03:12 PM.
    Get off my lawn!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    With Kershaw thinking about retirement and Buehler out with TJ they need another top starter bad.

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    With Kershaw thinking about retirement and Buehler out with TJ they need another top starter bad.
    I think they'll be more in on Rodon than DeGrom. Could maybe see Verlander too.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    Sporttrac has them sitting around $212M right now for opening day payroll. That is without Kershaw who i'm fairly confident resigns.

That being the case, I don't see them getting Kershaw along with 2 of deGrom/Verlander/Correa/Boegarts/Swanson/Turner....
    Get off my lawn!

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    DOB is good at what he does
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jpx7 For This Useful Post:

drewdat (11-12-2022), Garmel (11-12-2022)