Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Braves acquire Joe Jimenez from Detroit

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    527 Posts
    Looks like the Braves got cash back in the deal as well, so that probably made the price a little higher. I haven't seen it reported how much though

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    AA building for when it counts.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,051 Posts
    Malloy is a steep price to pay for a reliever with one year of control. He's young (he'll only be 23 next year), he's almost major league ready (something very valuable), and he's got a useful offensive profile with his ability to get on base while having a little pop. I doubt he becomes a superstar but he could easily become a major league regular. I could also see him as a super utility player which is also something pretty valuable these days.

If Jimenez can repeat what he did last year he'll be a fantastic addition to the pen but it's a pretty risky move. Middle relievers are super risky assets in general and Jimenez has been a perfect example of that. He's had something of an up and down career. If his control regresses then we'll be stuck with a dud.

I'm not super impressed with this move by AA. It's not terrible but it's not his best.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    have to worry about HRs with Jimenez much more than you do about control. his 2021 is clearly an outlier BB-wise, a RP can be just fine with a BB rate in the 3s. he’s had a HR problem though
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

Gwinnett Bound
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    Malloy is a steep price to pay for a reliever with one year of control. He's young (he'll only be 23 next year), he's almost major league ready (something very valuable), and he's got a useful offensive profile with his ability to get on base while having a little pop. I doubt he becomes a superstar but he could easily become a major league regular. I could also see him as a super utility player which is also something pretty valuable these days.

If Jimenez can repeat what he did last year he'll be a fantastic addition to the pen but it's a pretty risky move. Middle relievers are super risky assets in general and Jimenez has been a perfect example of that. He's had something of an up and down career. If his control regresses then we'll be stuck with a dud.

I'm not super impressed with this move by AA. It's not terrible but it's not his best.
    I feel like to be a super utility guy you have to have a good enough glove where a team is excited to play you all over the diamond. I get the sense that for Malloy its less "he's such a good defender he can play everywhere" and more "he's not good enough to play anywhere, so lets try him multiple places and see what is serviceable."

I would say I'm pretty meh on this trade. Jimenez has a chance to be a legit setup guy, per AA in his call after the trade. Those guys are costing an arm and a leg right now, but with Detroit giving cash the Braves basically just acquired one for what I view as a middling prospect in any top 15 farm system. He's probably getting 2/$20m in this market at least, and rather than spending what cash we have left on a reliever we got him for $0. It might not work out- he might be bad and Malloy might be great- but it seems a worthwhile risk.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post

Regardless of how the braves viewed him position wise, it is curious why they would make that move now, after a good year in the minors and the hype he has been getting.

Braves only have 1 position player in their top 10, which is Braden Shewmake at #5. Their highest rated OF prospect is Franklin V at #16 and he is already 24 years old.

That being said, with Rosario on a 1 year deal, and Ozuna for the next 2, there is no heir apparent replacement for them in LF. It seems like Malloy was the reasonable one to slide in there.

I wonder if AA is planning to make a trade for Reynolds, who would have it covered for the next few seasons. Otherwise, we are going to be looking for a LFer next season.
    Get off my lawn!

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    I think this trade means AA is planning on acquiring a LF somehow. If he isn’t, I don’t think he’d deal Malloy our only OF prospect

It's OVER 5,000! bravesnumberone's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,022 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chico View Post
    I think this trade means AA is planning on acquiring a LF somehow. If he isn’t, I don’t think he’d deal Malloy our only OF prospect
    One would think, but who knows? As it stands, we have one and potentially two black holes in the lineup. We've heard a lot of talk about how Wash can whip Grissom into being a pretty good defensive shortstop. But that's not addressing the likely lack of offensive production or whether he can adjust to the pitchers adjusting to him. We also have a defensive black hole in LF as the roster currently stands.

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesnumberone View Post
    One would think, but who knows? As it stands, we have one and potentially two black holes in the lineup. We've heard a lot of talk about how Wash can whip Grissom into being a pretty good defensive shortstop. But that's not addressing the likely lack of offensive production or whether he can adjust to the pitchers adjusting to him. We also have a defensive black hole in LF as the roster currently stands.
    Look around baseball, every team has a couple weak spots in their lineup. No one has 9 superstars in their lineup. Dodgers lineup is questionable right now, bottom of Houston's lineup is questionable, Yankees too. Even Philly's bottom 3 has questions.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Malloy feels more like Tommy LaStella. Granted, LaStella has carved out a pretty nice career as a utility player, but he's not someone you really lament losing. Jimenez might account for more WAR in 2023 they Malloy might for his entire career.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,022 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    Look around baseball, every team has a couple weak spots in their lineup. No one has 9 superstars in their lineup. Dodgers lineup is questionable right now, bottom of Houston's lineup is questionable, Yankees too. Even Philly's bottom 3 has questions.
    There are a lot of levels between superstars and what we have at those spots. The goal should be to improve and add depth where possible.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    David O'Brien
    @DOBrienATL
    ·
    13h
    Anthopoulos indicated this would be the last big piece added to the bullpen. Jiménez will set up Iglesias and can be a backup closer along with Minter.
    Get off my lawn!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanforlife88 View Post
    David O'Brien
    @DOBrienATL
    ·
    13h
    Anthopoulos indicated this would be the last big piece added to the bullpen. Jiménez will set up Iglesias and can be a backup closer along with Minter.
    I figured we were done with the bullpen after this.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,022 Posts
    How are we defining big piece?

Mashin' to Mississippi
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    Dont like giving up Malloy given he's like our only good hitting prospect but Jimenez was legit last year. Wish he had more team control but guess we could re-sign him, however the market is crazy these days.

The thing about Malloy is that regardless of level he’s got on base everywhere he’s been

Mashin' to Mississippi
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    Lack of offensive production at SS is fine if AA can address LF … that’s a big IF rn tho

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Right now we have McHugh, Iggy, Jimenez, Chavez, Santana, Anderson, Yates, Minter, Lee. I'd say we're more than okay with the pen. Focus now turns to the offense. I guess if you could get someone cheap or on a minor league deal, they could be added. But wouldnt expect anyone who costs a decent coin.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    An apatite that can give Mark Bowman and Pablo Sandoval a run for their money.
    Get off my lawn!

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    There are a lot of levels between superstars and what we have at those spots. The goal should be to improve and add depth where possible.
    I never said we're fine there. But i would expect AA to add someone in LF/SS. Might not be what fans want but we'll see what he does provided he does.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanforlife88 View Post
    David O'Brien
    @DOBrienATL
    ·
    13h
    I think he'll maybe look for a LHP off the scrap heap and give him an NRI to spring training.