Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Braves acquire Joe Jimenez from Detroit

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanforlife88 View Post
    Regardless of how the braves viewed him position wise, it is curious why they would make that move now, after a good year in the minors and the hype he has been getting.
    imo this is precisely why he was traded right now. he had an unexpectedly good season but doesn’t really have a position (he’s not a super utility guy at all) and AA is selling at what he thinks is the high point.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    So the pessimist in me says we sold high on Malloy b/c we didn't have any money. Trying to replace Kenly for 3 million.

To take a point from your joke, the Braves seem to do a good job of knowing who to trade and who to keep. If they are moving on from him, I doubt Malloy is a starter. There were scouts who think he could be a starter, Klaw is one IIRC. So I'm sure he'll kill us on the trade.

I would have thought giving up our top position prospect, even if that guy isn't that good, for a one year non-stud is odd.
    I was dreading the loss of Lango in the Olson trade. I was convinced we'd be regretting it for years as he posted 3+ WAR seasons with ~400 PAs. Now he's looking like a .300 OBP power goof at C, and I'm not nearly as concerned. Meanwhile, Contreras has turned into a guy who's so good offensively he is perhaps the best option on the roster to get the bulk of the DH PAs.

So I agree, the Braves recent track record of pushing legit hitters up to the MLB team makes it hard to question dealing Malloy.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (12-09-2022)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,704 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    I was dreading the loss of Lango in the Olson trade. I was convinced we'd be regretting it for years as he posted 3+ WAR seasons with ~400 PAs. Now he's looking like a .300 OBP power goof at C, and I'm not nearly as concerned. Meanwhile, Contreras has turned into a guy who's so good offensively he is perhaps the best option on the roster to get the bulk of the DH PAs.

So I agree, the Braves recent track record of pushing legit hitters up to the MLB team makes it hard to question dealing Malloy.
    Nah, that's why it's easy to deal him... positional prospects grow on trees in braves' country.

Oh yeah,
    Iglesias
    Minter
    Jimenez
    Mchugh
    Lee
    Yates
    Chavez

^^^ that's our relievers

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Nah, that's why it's easy to deal him... positional prospects grow on trees in braves' country.

Oh yeah,
    Iglesias
    Minter
    Jimenez
    Mchugh
    Lee
    Yates
    Chavez

^^^ that's our relievers
    Missing Santana and Anderson, our pen is DEEEP. Braves also might really like Jesse Franklin or LF could be a position the Braves just plug away every year at until they develop someone eventually with Harris/Acuna there for the next 5+ years.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,704 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    Missing Santana and Anderson, our pen is DEEEP. Braves also might really like Jesse Franklin or LF could be a position the Braves just plug away every year at until they develop someone eventually with Harris/Acuna there for the next 5+ years.
    Think Ian will be a reliever? If he can regain control that fastball/change up would be tough with only 1 look at it

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Think Ian will be a reliever? If he can regain control that fastball/change up would be tough with only 1 look at it
    He's trade bait for Reynolds (i wish). I dont think he'd do well as a RP.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    I think he was referring to Nick Anderson, the reliever we picked up earlier this offseason from the Rays
    Get off my lawn!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesfanforlife88 For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (12-09-2022)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,704 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanforlife88 View Post
    I think he was referring to Nick Anderson, the reliever we picked up earlier this offseason from the Rays
    I'll get up to speed in a week or 2. Be patient with me, and thanks

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    imo this is precisely why he was traded right now. he had an unexpectedly good season but doesn’t really have a position (he’s not a super utility guy at all) and AA is selling at what he thinks is the high point.
    True. Probably a LF who can play some 3B. May be able to play 1B. He's a bat first guy. Good year in 2022. Solid power numbers. Strong walk rate and reasonable strikeout rate. I don't think it's that big a deal that we moved him, but we just have so few hitting prospects that the decision to move him stands out more.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (12-09-2022)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,051 Posts
    He's trade bait for Reynolds (i wish). I dont think he'd do well as a RP.
    I'm not sure how he'd do as a reliever. If he only had to go one inning he's probably get a little extra on his fastball which might help. Only having to face guys once would help prevent hitters from adjusting to his two pitch mix. His funky arm angle could also be harder for hitters having faced a normal arm angle all game.

However, fastball and changeup isn't a terribly common combo for shutdown relievers but it's not unheard of. Devin Williams uses that combo but his changeup is filthy. Anderson's changeup isn't about movement, it's about it looking exactly like his fastball. Considering the modest difference in speed between his fastball and change, there's not a lot of margin for error with Anderson.

If we can't trade him I'd try him in the pen. Maybe a boost to his fastball velocity would help his changeup be more effective.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,993 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    True. Probably a LF who can play some 3B. May be able to play 1B. He's a bat first guy. Good year in 2022. Solid power numbers. Strong walk rate and reasonable strikeout rate. I don't think it's that big a deal that we moved him, but we just have so few hitting prospects that the decision to move him stands out more.
    For a corner OF guy without much speed, I’d say his power is below “solid” at this point.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    I'm betting Anderson is in the top 6 in number of starts for the Braves in 2023, and is a perfectly fine back end rotation piece for a championship caliber club.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    If Jimenez duplicates the season he had last year, he’s going to get paid. He’ll only be 29 his first season of the new contract.

He’s only projected for 2.7M this year.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chico View Post
    If Jimenez duplicates the season he had last year, he’s going to get paid. He’ll only be 29 his first season of the new contract.

He’s only projected for 2.7M this year.
    He's unlikely to get paid an obscene amount. Probably something like 5/55 or so (assuming he repeats last season. If we offer a QO, he would be crazy to turn it down

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    david robertson just got $10m for one year from the Mets. sheesh. these prices are crazy.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

It's OVER 5,000! bravesnumberone's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,022 Posts
    Robertson has had a very good career. $10 million is reasonable and isn’t going to dent the Mets.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesnumberone View Post
    Robertson has had a very good career. $10 million is reasonable and isn’t going to dent the Mets.
    lol how will it “not dent” them? he’s not very good (don’t care what he did in 2018) and will be 38. if he remains not very good he won’t be very useful but will still be in the bullpen.

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    lol how will it “not dent” them? he’s not very good (don’t care what he did in 2018) and will be 38. if he remains not very good he won’t be very useful but will still be in the bullpen.
    He had a 2.4 ERA, 1.1 WHIP, 83 strikeouts to 35 walks in 63 innings. Hardly bad. Yeah he's older so i guess he could regress but hes been good. I guess he wasnt good in 19 or 21 but he was good last year.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    He's unlikely to get paid an obscene amount. Probably something like 5/55 or so (assuming he repeats last season. If we offer a QO, he would be crazy to turn it down
    Agreed, we can’t offer him a QO, he’d no doubt take it. I think avoiding arbitration with something like a year 3 year 22M deal might be smart.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    He had a 2.4 ERA, 1.1 WHIP, 83 strikeouts to 35 walks in 63 innings. Hardly bad. Yeah he's older so i guess he could regress but hes been good. I guess he wasnt good in 19 or 21 but he was good last year.
    disagree. unsustainably low ERA. walked too many guys. another year older. not a guy i want anywhere near the backend of the Braves pen.