Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,761 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    He's probably going to need some of those arms when members of our current staff move on and even with we do trade some young arms to fill unexpected holes, we're still likely to be on the hook for salaries on guys whose extensions didn't work out. To be clear, I'm not saying what's been done can't work, but a lot of folks seem to be dismissing any risk involved in the approach.
    I think the team not just AA, is banking on having an ultra competitive and winning team for the next TV contract that's coming in 2026.
    Forever Fredi

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Chosen One For This Useful Post:

Barnes (12-31-2022), jpx7 (01-12-2023)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,289 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    I would rather not stack bad deals in the future for a 3% better chance of winning it all. Spending that doesn't hamstring the future makes perfect sense.
    I think you’re strawmanning my point here. I’m just suggesting why in principle teams don’t frontload (emphasis) contracts. Think structuring a a 4/40m contract as 10-10-10-10 instead of 15-15-5-5.

Are you referring to the deferral approach? I agree that that approach in its extreme is wreckless.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    I can't think that any of these extended players ever had a prayer of being non-tendered .
    That's probably true and I phrased it wrong. What I was driving at is it's just going to be very difficult to unload these guys if there is a downturn in their production.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (01-12-2023)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Chosen One View Post
    AA is gambling on this core, because as mentioned before, when he came in the sanctions and penalties hurt us on both domestic and international drafts for a few years.

His strategy is to bank on the core holding steady until he can reload the farm.
    That might be true, but right now, he's following the same pattern he did in Toronto even though he said he wouldn't repeat that approach. Granted, given the current state of the upper levels of the farm system, it's not like he has been unloading sure things, but if he needs to make another trade where we move prospects, he's going to have to go deeper and that is going to erode depth further. Not saying it can't work.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    527 Posts
    That might be true, but right now, he's following the same pattern he did in Toronto even though he said he wouldn't repeat that approach. Granted, given the current state of the upper levels of the farm system, it's not like he has been unloading sure things, but if he needs to make another trade where we move prospects, he's going to have to go deeper and that is going to erode depth further. Not saying it can't work.
    Can you clarify what you mean by same pattern in Toronto? I thought in Toronto he was known for trading a ton of prospects, some of which ended up being big time mistakes

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBrave View Post
    Can you clarify what you mean by same pattern in Toronto? I thought in Toronto he was known for trading a ton of prospects, some of which ended up being big time mistakes
    That's what I mean. I should have clarified that. I don't know if Malloy, Muller, Salinas, et. al., will ever amount to much, but Anthopoulos was a now-for-later guy in Toronto.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    That's what I mean. I should have clarified that. I don't know if Malloy, Muller, Salinas, et. al., will ever amount to much, but Anthopoulos was a now-for-later guy in Toronto.
    difference is in toronto it was some big time prospects. not really the case here.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Super For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (01-12-2023)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    difference is in toronto it was some big time prospects. not really the case here.
    I'd say up to Contreras he had been extremely reluctant to move anyone with a chance.

I would guess the weakness of the Braves system is probably making recent moves look more consequential than they are because they are more notable in system but probably aren't particularly notable league wide.

Just a thought.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Southcack77 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (01-12-2023)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    527 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    Right. AA showed very serious restraint from trading any prospects his first few years. Then the last couple of years he's seemed to be able identify who to keep and who to trade. Nobody he's traded so far is anyone we've missed much. Imagine if he had traded Strider or Harris?

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    181 Posts
    Bill and Langeliers are the only real notable players traded away. I still don’t understand moving Bill. I guess Oakland was fixated on the guy from Milwaukee and only way they would give him up is Bill in return. I just wish AA could have made Bill our full time DH

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jpack1 For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (01-04-2023), jpx7 (01-12-2023)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    527 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpack1 View Post
    Bill and Langeliers are the only real notable players traded away. I still don’t understand moving Bill. I guess Oakland was fixated on the guy from Milwaukee and only way they would give him up is Bill in return. I just wish AA could have made Bill our full time DH
    That's definitely one that could very well come back to hurt us. Still doesn't make the most sense.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpack1 View Post
    That's my only trepidation. But then I argued enough about it.

Arizona Fall Leaguer
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Chosen One View Post
    I think the team not just AA, is banking on having an ultra competitive and winning team for the next TV contract that's coming in 2026.
    This x 1000. Spending now is an investment which will pay off during the term of the new local TV contract.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,897 Posts
    Ivermectin Man

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Tapate50 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (01-12-2023)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,897 Posts
    Reading that article and the park effect of Truist....Does anyone remember when it first opened and HRs were absolutely FLYING out of that place? I guess the ball changed?
    Ivermectin Man