Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ST 3/2 at Mets - Kolby on mound, Grissom and Ozuna and minor leagues- on TV

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,050 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    I thought Twit has already come out and said Oboozuna is going to be on the roster on opening day. Maybe not though.

So far I have like Wall and White a whole lot better than Rosorrio or Oboozuna.. but we will see as camp progresses.
    Snit did. I don't see any way they release him before midseason at the soonest and only then if we can't do a bad contract swap.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,365 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    You're telling me that Dodd and Allard aren't going to finish 1-2 in the 2023 Cy Young voting?
    I think it is hard to 'get carried away' when someone is talking about the #5 starter/long relief role. It is like hyping the best piece you got at a garage sale.. so being excited about Dodd after 5 games is not getting carried away, unless you are saying he can replace Fried when he walks.
    Coppy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,897 Posts
    Weren’t we excited by Strider after 5 games ? Lol

That said- he was a 3rd rounder. Not exactly a throwaway pick. Here was the last write up on him from rotoworld back in July.

DYLAN DODD
    SP, ATLANTA BRAVES
    Braves LHP prospect Dylan Dodd struck out 10 over six innings while allowing two unearned runs Wednesday for High-A Rome.
    Dodd, 23, scattered seven hits and walked one batter. The 96th pick of last year's draft out of Southeast Missouri State, Dodd has been solid in his first full professional year with a 53/9 K/BB ratio that is more indicative of talent then his 4.05 ERA in 53 1/3 innings (10 starts) suggests. He pounds the strike zone with four pitches, and his change has a chance to be a swing-and-miss offering at the highest level. None of his other pitches project much more than average -- if that -- so this is more of a backend starting profile than a frontline option. Still, Atlanta has done wonders with this type of arm, and Dodd could be starting games with the Braves at some point in the next two years.
    Last edited by Tapate50; 03-03-2023 at 10:20 AM.
    Ivermectin Man

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Tapate50 For This Useful Post:

Hudson2 (03-03-2023)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,365 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    Weren’t we excited by Strider after 5 games ? Lol

That said- he was a 3rd rounder. Not exactly a throwaway pick. Here was the last write up on him from rotoworld back in July.

DYLAN DODD
    SP, ATLANTA BRAVES
    Braves LHP prospect Dylan Dodd struck out 10 over six innings while allowing two unearned runs Wednesday for High-A Rome.
    Dodd, 23, scattered seven hits and walked one batter. The 96th pick of last year's draft out of Southeast Missouri State, Dodd has been solid in his first full professional year with a 53/9 K/BB ratio that is more indicative of talent then his 4.05 ERA in 53 1/3 innings (10 starts) suggests. He pounds the strike zone with four pitches, and his change has a chance to be a swing-and-miss offering at the highest level. None of his other pitches project much more than average -- if that -- so this is more of a backend starting profile than a frontline option. Still, Atlanta has done wonders with this type of arm, and Dodd could be starting games with the Braves at some point in the next two years.
    I think a lot of us saw something in Strider that Dodd will never have... no knock on Dodd. That said, I like Dodd because of what you posted more so than 5 spring games. He hits the zone, has enough of a fastball to keep guys from just waiting on it. You put Dodd, Allard or Anderson for our 5th.. Dodd is my pick. Now if Ian can prove he can be effective and not walk the world, I would go with him and tell Dodd his chance will be coming. Allard I just don't trust. His track record of mediocrity and lower is far more telling than a few good innings in spring.

as far as DH/LF.. I am on record that Ozuna will rebound this year and be a positive, so keeping him around is fine by me.. but short ass leash. I hate Rasorryo.. cut him today for all I care. All the other guys, I don't konw.

Wall -- I really like the look of him at the plate, he just looked like a player and so far has looked good. But he is an older career minor leaguer and those guys rarely stick for long.. might show flashes but will then go into Travis Demerite mood..

White -- I love his speed and ability to play all 3 OF spots well.. not 100% sold on his offense. He said he found something in his swing..but he has zero history to back that up.. I say keep playing him to see what you got.

Pillar -- even fully healthy, he is probably a .700 - .750 OPS guy with avg defense.. not bad and deserving of a bench role on this team imo.

Luplow and Hilliard are basically the same to me.. I have no idea what to think of them, but while the WBC is going on, I hope to see a lot of all 5 of them.

and yes, I just channelled my inner clv (where has he been?) but I am on a really unimportant meeting right now.
    Coppy

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    619 Posts
    Dodd is gonna stick I think - he looks like he knows how to pitch, meaning not walking people. Ground balls and weak pop ups are just fine.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,365 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hulavol View Post
    Dodd is gonna stick I think - he looks like he knows how to pitch, meaning not walking people. Ground balls and weak pop ups are just fine.
    if anyone else can step up and be a 5.. then Dodd to AAA is not a bad thing.
    Coppy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,519 Posts
    I think it is hard to 'get carried away' when someone is talking about the #5 starter/long relief role. It is like hyping the best piece you got at a garage sale.. so being excited about Dodd after 5 games is not getting carried away, unless you are saying he can replace Fried when he walks.
    Oh. So what about the dude who is projected to be our starting SS then? Does he count?

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,365 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post
    Oh. So what about the dude who is projected to be our starting SS then? Does he count?
    Grissom.. I like what I have seen.. couple that with last year and the fact no one else to really compete with him.. I would say he is fine and just enjoying him playing well right now. I am more interested in our fringe guys..
    Coppy

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,365 Posts
    I wish I could be watching this Elder start.. Radio has him dealing..
    Coppy

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    488 Posts
    I don’t think it’s getting carried away to comment that guys are getting a lot of run and looking decent in ST games… or even dreaming of what they could become.

Nobody has been annointed, but watching and evaluating is what ST is all about for fans.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    I think a lot of us saw something in Strider that Dodd will never have... no knock on Dodd. That said, I like Dodd because of what you posted more so than 5 spring games. He hits the zone, has enough of a fastball to keep guys from just waiting on it. You put Dodd, Allard or Anderson for our 5th.. Dodd is my pick. Now if Ian can prove he can be effective and not walk the world, I would go with him and tell Dodd his chance will be coming. Allard I just don't trust. His track record of mediocrity and lower is far more telling than a few good innings in spring.

as far as DH/LF.. I am on record that Ozuna will rebound this year and be a positive, so keeping him around is fine by me.. but short ass leash. I hate Rasorryo.. cut him today for all I care. All the other guys, I don't konw.

Wall -- I really like the look of him at the plate, he just looked like a player and so far has looked good. But he is an older career minor leaguer and those guys rarely stick for long.. might show flashes but will then go into Travis Demerite mood..

White -- I love his speed and ability to play all 3 OF spots well.. not 100% sold on his offense. He said he found something in his swing..but he has zero history to back that up.. I say keep playing him to see what you got.

Pillar -- even fully healthy, he is probably a .700 - .750 OPS guy with avg defense.. not bad and deserving of a bench role on this team imo.

Luplow and Hilliard are basically the same to me.. I have no idea what to think of them, but while the WBC is going on, I hope to see a lot of all 5 of them.

and yes, I just channelled my inner clv (where has he been?) but I am on a really unimportant meeting right now.
    clv was having health issues at some point last season. Haven't seen him lately. Hope all is well.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mfree80 View Post
    I don’t think it’s getting carried away to comment that guys are getting a lot of run and looking decent in ST games… or even dreaming of what they could become.

Nobody has been annointed, but watching and evaluating is what ST is all about for fans.
    I hope everyone knows I was tweaking Cy with my comment. ST is what is it is. There will be some monster performances from guys who maybe get a cup of coffee in the big leagues and there will be some true surprises. Just have to wait and see how it all turns out.

Only thing I watch for is use patterns. Guys like White, Pillar, and Wall (Sierra less so) are getting long looks to see if there is a place in the plan for them. Looking for RHH guy who can play CF. Seeing guys like Milligan and Waddell get ABs (injury rehab in Waddell's case) makes me think they are just trying to find the appropriate placement for both in the coming minor league season: Gwinnett or Mississippi. Everybody knows what they have in Adrianza and Hecchavaria.
    Last edited by 50PoundHead; 03-03-2023 at 02:48 PM.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,858 Posts
    Ozuna hitting .308. He's back baby!

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Looks like Vodnik likes his apartment in Gwinnett.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,365 Posts
    jesus, if we can't hold an 8 run lead with 4 innings to go then we just need to burn it down and start over..
    Coppy

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,365 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Ozuna hitting .308. He's back baby!
    112.8 EV...... when you add all his hits up today..
    Coppy

18. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

thethe (03-04-2023)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    clv was having health issues at some point last season. Haven't seen him lately. Hope all is well.
    I'm sure he argued with his doctor from his usual position of confident ignorance, and was probably wrong.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    I'm fairly bullish on Ozuna and the other guy not being complete trash.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,703 Posts
    More fWAR this season - Harris or Acuna?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    Acuna with a missel up the middle for a base hit, 2 run HR for Olson, and Solo HR for Riley to start the game at home.
    Get off my lawn!