Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: GDT March 5 - Charlie and almost the full lineup!

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,487 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    We already know LF/DH are going to be garbage, and SS is a question mark with a potential answer, so those aren't my biggest concern.

My biggest concern is Albies and how badly his approach has warped into this pull happy wannabe power goon with terrible plate discipline. He was injured in 2022, but his O-Swing% and Pull% were quite a bit higher than usual while his exit velocities were way down. He has his back foot so close to the plate now in an effort to pull every single pitch it seems like he won't be able to put anything in play hard other than an outside pitch. I worry he has been allowed to ingrain so many bad hitting habits he will really struggle.
    Losing Dansby means that we will need Acuna/Albies to return to their normal form, hope Olson can be better than last year, and that Murphy/dArnaud will provide similar production to last years tandem.

It is a big ask, but I do feel like we will even out overall.
    Get off my lawn!

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    I am a bit worried about Oz as well. But he seems like a tinkerer.. I wonder if he is thinking pulling is a better approach with the elimination of the shift.. making more of it than he should since he is not a power guy. That said, my biggest worry is his inability to not swing at balls. I doubt he becomes unplayable.. it just might be a few rough stretches while he finds his grove again.
    Coppy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    Ozzie's calling card in the minors seemed to be elite contact ability-man that would stink if its already gone but if he's in that bad of position at jump its entirely possible.
    Ivermectin Man

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    His contact rates appear to be intact. It's the quality of that contact that suffered. I'm obviously not qualified to play swing doctor, but he looked like a disaster last year.

Of course, all of 2022 was a small sample for him, so it may be foolish to read too much into what he did last year. It's just the thing that worries me most for 2023, and will be something I'm eager to see play out.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 03-06-2023 at 04:45 PM.

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,029 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    His contact rates appear to be intact. It's the quality of that contact that suffered. I'm obviously not qualified to play swing doctor, but he looked like a disaster last year.

Of course, all of 2022 was a small sample for him, so it may be foolish to read too much into what he did last year. It's just the thing that worries me most for 2023, and will be something I'm eager to see play out.
    High fastballs. Can't hit 'em, can't lay off 'em.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GovClintonTyree View Post
    High fastballs. Can't hit 'em, can't lay off 'em.
    I won’t berate him. I couldn’t either
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    526 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    I am not sure anyone is referring to the actual class that was removed but more to the fact we couldn't take part in any drafts for basically 3 years.. or was it 5.. I know they tappered off.. But not having that resource does hurt, but it is unknown how much.

man, I went back and looked at the entire 2018 class for the most part, that whole class was trash. And the Braves basically didn't have a pick in round 1 that year due to Stewart not signing.. So you could say Lango was our 2018 pick that netted us Oly.

And with the Braves most likely being competitive for the next 4+ years just with the team they have, those waves don't really have to start crashing until the 2021 crop is ready.
    I remember we were supposed to be very competitive in 2014 and beyond. Well 2014 ended up being a disaster and led to a total rebuild lol. Not saying that's about to happen, but a reason why I never expect anything.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBrave View Post
    I remember we were supposed to be very competitive in 2014 and beyond. Well 2014 ended up being a disaster and led to a total rebuild lol. Not saying that's about to happen, but a reason why I never expect anything.
    I agree, nothing is given.. The Mets were supposed to be WS bound with Thor, DeGrom, Harvey.. and another one that is escaping me.. but that didn't happen either.

I do like this team a whole lot better than the 14 team too.
    Coppy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,481 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBrave View Post
    Yep. And the state of the farm is in about as bad a shape or worse than it was at that time.

But, while that 2014 team looked good on paper, this team is objectively more talented and it’s not close. We just can’t sustain more than a couple major injuries.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post
    Yep. And the state of the farm is in about as bad a shape or worse than it was at that time.

But, while that 2014 team looked good on paper, this team is objectively more talented and it’s not close. We just can’t sustain more than a couple major injuries.
    Most competitive teams can't sustain more than a couple major injuries. Unless you're one of the teams who can just buy depth every year, you generally can't take more than a couple big losses.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    526 Posts

Well the positive is that even if we do somehow end up being a disaster this year. I don't see how that will lead to an immediate rebuild.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    Even the Dodgers depth has been tested the last two years… and this year on the IF
    Ivermectin Man

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    512 Posts

I usually pick two lower level clubs to go to not including rookie ball. So this year aside from Rome, it'll be Augusta. Either the reports will be decent..or..it'll be an exercise in time management.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,675 Posts
    I'm confused on what the braves are doing. Started Rosario vs the lhp Sunday, and today vs the rhp, they're starting pillar. I want Rosario seeing rhp

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    I'm confused on what the braves are doing. Started Rosario vs the lhp Sunday, and today vs the rhp, they're starting pillar. I want Rosario seeing rhp
    umm.. don't you know twit has to get ready for the season too. why would he make good decision in spring when we all know he won't in reg season.
    Coppy

16. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

msstate7 (03-07-2023)

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,477 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Rosario is with the Puerto Rico WBC team.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,675 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ9 View Post
    Ok, that explains it then.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ9 View Post
    yeah, I also don't think anyone cares about handedness this early on.. just getting guys some reps and probably the first 2 weeks prior to WBC was already mapped out who plays/pitches and for how long. opposition and stituations don't matter other than pitch count or injury.
    Coppy

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Is this the tread we say how we won’t miss Dans.
    Coppy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    Shuster with a great start
    Ivermectin Man