Page 7 of 27 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Spring Training Thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    Biggest thing about Shuster and Dodd to me is they don't walk hardly anyone. If they can maintain that at the MLB level then they'll be useful pieces. Give me a #4 or #5 starter who pounds the zone any day. When you're not walking the world you can usually eat some innings.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    589 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    I could see Shew starting in AAA just because he has options left and the team probably owes it to Grissom to get the start. But I wouldn't be surprised if at some point over the summer, Arcia is cut and Shew brought up to platoon with Grissom...depending on how everyone is performing that is.
    Why would the team cut Arcia? He is one of the 2 maybe 3 people in the organization that can play MLB shortstop everyday.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    Minter is 29 years old coming off his best season where he ranked 5th in RP WAR and has had only one season with a FIP > 3.00.
    Just a feel I get when I watch Minter. Aware of the results the past few years.

Still could see regression. But of course I'll always be happy when Old Guard guys succeed.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Slippyjms View Post
    Why would the team cut Arcia? He is one of the 2 maybe 3 people in the organization that can play MLB shortstop everyday.
    Ok. Sorry. Didn’t realize you were so close to Arcia. But he isn’t good and give me a young player with something to prove any day versus below avg guy who is what he is.
    Coppy

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    Ok. Sorry. Didn’t realize you were so close to Arcia. But he isn’t good and give me a young player with something to prove any day versus below avg guy who is what he is.
    At least woth arcia you know what you're gonna get. You don't know with Shewmake. Yeah it's great he's got a chip on his shoulder former first pick and struggled to prove why he was drafted so high.
    Forever Fredi

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    589 Posts
    I'm not close to Arcia but it's a terrible take. You don't cut one of the only guys that can do the job that's making no money. What happens if there's an injury?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,487 Posts
    I'm not close to Arcia but it's a terrible take. You don't cut one of the only guys that can do the job that's making no money. What happens if there's an injury?
    Actually Acria was decent for us last season and provided some power. So I don't see him going anywhere. If Shewmake were to be brought up, it would be someone else sent down.

As far as the overall roster construction early, it will be interesting to see what AA and Snit do.

For LF, you have Rosario, Luplow, Pillar, Hilliard, White to choose from.

For IF/SS, you have Grissom, Arcia, Adrianza, Shewmake, Hechavarria all vying for a spot.
    Get off my lawn!

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    If Arcia has options then you stash him... if not and shew is doing well in AAA and Grissom is at least holding his own, then yeah you ditch Arcia in favor of younger potential and deal with what you deal with. We will have Hech or someone burried in the minors that can cover positions if someone goes down. But if Shew is doing well in AAA, then Arcia should not block him... EVER!!!
    Coppy

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanforlife88 View Post
    Actually Acria was decent for us last season and provided some power. So I don't see him going anywhere. If Shewmake were to be brought up, it would be someone else sent down.

As far as the overall roster construction early, it will be interesting to see what AA and Snit do.

For LF, you have Rosario, Luplow, Pillar, Hilliard, White to choose from.

For IF/SS, you have Grissom, Arcia, Adrianza, Shewmake, Hechavarria all vying for a spot.

I think AA plays it safe to start. Arcia and Grissom.. RoSorryio and prob Pilar as our OF..

And Arcia is who he is.. I am not letting noise from one good season (SSS) change my mind. He is a .650 OPS guy who is slightly below average with glove.. I feel pretty confident you can find that production at the deadline if something were to happen..and I am not letting that block prospects who are an unknown.
    Coppy

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,487 Posts
    I think AA plays it safe to start. Arcia and Grissom.. RoSorryio and prob Pilar as our OF..

And Arcia is who he is.. I am not letting noise from one good season (SSS) change my mind. He is a .650 OPS guy who is slightly below average with glove.. I feel pretty confident you can find that production at the deadline if something were to happen..and I am not letting that block prospects who are an unknown.
    I don't think that Arcia is an everyday guy either. But if you can get 2-3 WAR our of some combination of him, Pillar, Hilliard, etc. over a full season by catching lightning in a bottle, i'd take that all day long.
    Get off my lawn!

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    589 Posts
    If Arcia has options then you stash him... if not and shew is doing well in AAA and Grissom is at least holding his own, then yeah you ditch Arcia in favor of younger potential and deal with what you deal with. We will have Hech or someone burried in the minors that can cover positions if someone goes down. But if Shew is doing well in AAA, then Arcia should not block him... EVER!!!
    Again why would you do that? If Grissom is holding his own and Shewmake's doing well in AA why would you want to start Shewmake's clock for him to be sitting on the bench. Arcia prevents that from happening. If Grissom gets hurt or can't handle the position defensively Shewmake can get called up and still step into the starting role. And Arcia's still there as a cheap competent backup. Arcia's presence does not block prospects. It blocks Adrianza Hech and the like.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Again why would you do that? If Grissom is holding his own and Shewmake's doing well in AA why would you want to start Shewmake's clock for him to be sitting on the bench. Arcia prevents that from happening. If Grissom gets hurt or can't handle the position defensively Shewmake can get called up and still step into the starting role. And Arcia's still there as a cheap competent backup. Arcia's presence does not block prospects. It blocks Adrianza Hech and the like.
    because Shew and Griss make a strong platoon at that point.. with Griss even spelling Ozzie some versus a RHP.

btw.. who is our back up 3B? Arcia I guess? Surprised we haven't seen Shew doing sometime at 3rd too. I guess if we don't have anyone who can cover 3rd, then arcia has a place no matter how bad he is.
    Coppy

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    If Shew makes it though I'm going to feel bad for Striker.

Thats almost as bad as how I was with Francouer in the opposite direction.
    Shew as a utility man even if he's not starting would be a win.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,675 Posts
    Grissom at DH tonight, not ss. Wondering if he's injured. Reps at ss seem like they'd be important

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    589 Posts
    because Shew and Griss make a strong platoon at that point.. with Griss even spelling Ozzie some versus a RHP.

btw.. who is our back up 3B? Arcia I guess? Surprised we haven't seen Shew doing sometime at 3rd too. I guess if we don't have anyone who can cover 3rd, then arcia has a place no matter how bad he is.
    Arcia is the back up at SS/2B/3B. Grissom should not be used as a weak side of a platoon. If he's in the majors he needs to either be starting every day or starting most days in a super sub role. If he's not ready for that he needs to be in AAA. Shewmake could come up and platoon with Arcia however.

Arcia's cheap provides stability and is at worst is the 3rd best SS in the organization and we already owe him his money for this year and have an option on him for next season too. I just don't understand why we'd want to dump him for nothing when SS is such a hard hole to fill and we have so little depth.

Although that being said Arcia should never see the OF again unless it's the most desperate of times. He is an IF only. His largest value is the ability to play SS on an extended basis.
    Last edited by Slippyjms; 03-18-2023 at 02:44 PM.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    We can only hope, especially with Hechavarria.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,477 Posts
    Bowman’s roster projection today has Shewmake as the opening day SS.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    Sounds like Shewmake can really play some defense. I guess we will see.
    thank you weso1!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ9 View Post
    Bowman’s roster projection today has Shewmake as the opening day SS.
    There has to be something else going on behind the scenes. Grissom hasn't been that bad defensively and has been fine offensively. Not to mention he has a much better track record than Shewmake... just seems weird

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,477 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    There has to be something else going on behind the scenes. Grissom hasn't been that bad defensively and has been fine offensively. Not to mention he has a much better track record than Shewmake... just seems weird
    Agreed. Something seems off. They went out of their way to talk so much about how much they loved Grissom all offseason. MLB even sent cameras to New Orleans to film one of Wash’s workout sessions with Grissom, I’m sure that had to be approved by the Braves.

Now he meets expectations this spring and loses the job? Nothing really makes sense on the surface.