Page 12 of 27 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Spring Training Thread

Anytime Now Frankie... tululush's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    180 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    He'll get called up when Arcia and Adrianza **** the bed. If they trade for someone, i guess it makes sense but even then...
    Glad the decided to save some money at the expense of digging their early season hole. Playing the superior player with a lot more upside is nonsensical.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,290 Posts
    Grissom clearly didn’t do anything this spring to “un-earn” his job. So if this was the plan all along then I don’t understand why a better veteran wasn’t brought in as insurance (for Adrianza’s role).

I think Arcia is fine as a placeholder.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to chop2chip For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (03-20-2023)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    180 Posts
    If this is about service time manipulation, when is the earliest Grissom can be brought up?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,133 Posts
    Folks acting like it's some travesty that Arcia is the opening day SS over Grissom or Shewmake are severely overestimating how good those guy are likely to be. Arcia is likely to be an unspectacular SS, just like Grissom would have been. The choice at SS moves the needle very little.

The moment Arcia was acquired it was blatantly obvious he was the stopgap after Swanson left, and I stated as much the day the trade occurred.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,290 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tululush View Post
    If this is about service time manipulation, when is the earliest Grissom can be brought up?
    There’s no way it’s that. They’d have to keep him down until July or August to save a year since he’s already accrued a couple months of playing time last year.
    Last edited by chop2chip; 03-20-2023 at 05:40 PM.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chop2chip For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (03-21-2023), jpx7 (03-20-2023)

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,033 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Folks acting like it's some travesty that Arcia is the opening day SS over Grissom or Shewmake are severely overestimating how good those guy are likely to be. Arcia is likely to be an unspectacular SS, just like Grissom would have been. The choice at SS moves the needle very little.

The moment Arcia was acquired it was blatantly obvious he was the stopgap after Swanson left, and I stated as much the day the trade occurred.
    Maybe. But maybe not. You know what Arcia is. You are projecting the other two guys.

But they’ve done a lot of projecting the last few years and a lot of guys have turned out to be better than one might predict. I would have liked for them to try and keep their streak going.

I’m going to guess one or both will be up around Memorial Day. That’s when they historically make adjustments.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,521 Posts

Got to hand it to you. You called this two years ago. No one wanted to believe it, but unfortunately the truth works that way a lot.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    180 Posts

How do you see the future of ss playing out? This time next year are we looking at Arcia again, Grissom/Shewmake or someone outside the organization?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,051 Posts
    Arcia is guaranteed terrible and you don't even get the benefit of developing a guy like you would with Grissom.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,051 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post
    Got to hand it to you. You called this two years ago. No one wanted to believe it, but unfortunately the truth works that way a lot.
    That's because only an idiot would go into the regular season with Arcia as their SS unless they've had about 4 injuries and a payroll like the Marlins.

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    There's gotta be a trade cooking. I just cant believe they'd do this.

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    149 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    That's because only an idiot would go into the regular season with Arcia as their SS unless they've had about 4 injuries and a payroll like the Marlins.

Arica will be average to slightly below average max
    I’m not happy about it but it’s not a huge drop.
    I just wanna know who the moron is that came up with the “we don’t wanna lose Adrianza” line to DOB.
    You mean like the time we already did and nobody wanted him because he’s not that good?
    I’d understand it more if he wasn’t a below average player and if there wasn’t multiple vets on the market that would at worse, produce the same as he will.
    Just go ahead and tell us you are trying to gain more control over the young guys and be financially smart.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Buzzworm For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (03-20-2023)

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts

Eh. I thought the same thing, but I also hate that I have no expectations from the SS position. I think Grissom can certainly be just as good or better at short than Arcia, but that's my opinion. The reasoning is absurd...but then again, some of us didn't care for the action plan there knowing Dansby wasn't coming back. It is what it is i guess....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,703 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzworm View Post
    Arica will be average to slightly below average max
    I’m not happy about it but it’s not a huge drop.
    I just wanna know who the moron is that came up with the “we don’t wanna lose Adrianza” line to DOB.
    You mean like the time we already did and nobody wanted him because he’s not that good?
    I’d understand it more if he wasn’t a below average player and if there wasn’t multiple vets on the market that would at worse, produce the same as he will.
    Just go ahead and tell us you are trying to gain more control over the young guys and be financially smart.
    Braves traded for Adrianza last year. He's been a
    Mlb player since 2013. I certainly don't think he's great, but he's played well for Atlanta
    Last edited by msstate7; 03-20-2023 at 07:42 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,703 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    Zips projects him at 1.4 fWAR in 110 games. That's approx 2.1 fWAR over a full season.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,369 Posts
    To say for certain that a needle wouldn't move when comparing a vertan scrub with a 20 something prospect who could quite possible move the needle a lot is blantanly stupid. I don't care if the fornt office or Twitner agrees. It is just as dumb as platooning Hech over Harris against LHP... um NO.. why not see what you have instead of seeing what you already know... you won't know what you have in AAA
    Coppy

It's OVER 5,000! bravesnumberone's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,022 Posts
    Considering it’s AA, I wouldn’t be shocked if he pulls a trade in the next couple of days, but who knows.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,703 Posts
    It seems to me the braves are telling us what they think of Grissom's defense without actually telling it in press release. The braves have invested a lot in their pitching, and I think they just want the beat defender they can play at ss. If LF and ozuna fail, maybe they rethink defense over offense at ss

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    There's gotta be a trade cooking. I just cant believe they'd do this.
    I’m with you. Something could be up. No clue what but this makes 0 sense.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,369 Posts
    The only thing that sucks as fans is not having advance stats that I am sure the front office has. Getting a bunch of soft hits doesn’t make a player better than a guy hitting .100 with rockets everywhere.

However, I wonder if twitner had a bigger role in this. Wanting to keep the 2 vertan scrubs over a rookie.
    Coppy