Page 16 of 27 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread: Spring Training Thread

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    Does a player really gain anything from 100 PA in AAA? I mean, I would think consistent reps at SS and regular playing time would benefit both. So, to me, it would make more sense to have one in the Majors and one in AAA, so both are playing regular. Instead, we will get to watch Arcia be amazingly underwhelming and the 2 guys we hope will be the future SS have to split time at SS and 2nd base. I get the 'safe' move, but the Braves are where they are because they didn't play it safe and let the rookies run the show.
    It all depends on the player. Braves have had success with the aggressive promotion of some guys, but I think a case can be made that neither Grissom nor Shewmake are finished products and both may need to clean up a few things.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    to me it means Grissom can’t handle short and they don’t believe in Shewmake’s bat, at least not yet.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,133 Posts
    Remember when folks on this board were smart enough to not let 20 ST PAs influence their views on a player? Now all of a sudden half the posters here think Shewmake was an actual option at SS.

We knew Grissom might not be able to handle SS. We knew Arcia was the backup plan.

So none of this should be surprising to anyone. Arcia at SS was always a good chance of happening. He is clearly a low end regular, but nothing I’ve seen suggests Grissom is more than that either. At least these moves keep all the mediocre options in the organization.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,369 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Remember when folks on this board were smart enough to not let 20 ST PAs influence their views on a player? Now all of a sudden half the posters here think Shewmake was an actual option at SS.

We knew Grissom might not be able to handle SS. We knew Arcia was the backup plan.

So none of this should be surprising to anyone. Arcia at SS was always a good chance of happening. He is clearly a low end regular, but nothing I’ve seen suggests Grissom is more than that either. At least these moves keep all the mediocre options in the organization.
    Or. Hang with me here for a minute. Or maybe it was shew was getting a lot of reps and our beat writers were hyping him as a possible opening day player. Couple that with high draft pick pedigree and folks got caught up in it. But was it really for shew. Or was it for ANYONE else but Arcia. We as fans have been spoiled by watching prospects come up after 20 at bats in the minors and cement themselves as a starter for the big club. So maybe it has less to do with who we want as our starting SS. But who we don’t want. Give me potential all day everyday versus 6 prior years of ****.
    Coppy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,703 Posts
    Why would anyone think shewmake had a shot? Hmmm...

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,369 Posts
    Happy ****ing Soroka Day bitches.
    Coppy

7. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

buck75 (03-22-2023)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Man I don’t care how he pitches today as long as he’s healthy
    Last edited by Hudson2; 03-22-2023 at 07:17 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,703 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    Man I don’t care how he pitches today as long as he’s healthy
    I said that last year, and he looked like me pitching in little league. I wanna see him look better than that

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    I said that last year, and he looked like me pitching in little league. I wanna see him look better than that
    Relax. Pitching is hard, and he's done very little over the last 3 years.

It will take time. I'd say we'd have an idea by later this summer.
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,051 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post

If anyone thought Shewmake should win the job because of a few ST ABs, then they should never be allowed to evaluate baseball talent. But I don't think everyone who ranks Shewmake over Arcia uses that reasoning. Shewmake is almost certainly the best defensive SS out of the three candidates. Grissom is brand new to the position and Arcia is below average defensively these days. If we were chiefly concerned about defense, we'd be going with Shewmake.

Grissom most likely has the best bat of the three. If we were willing to run a below average glove out there, Grissom would have been the better choice.

Arcia is just bad all around. He's below average defensively, he's not terribly useful at the plate, he really brings nothing to the table. I don't know why AA thinks for a second that Arcia should be anything other than a reserve infielder and a mediocre one at that.

If Arcia were to start all year, I'd be surprised if he put up a WAR over 1. Over the last 4 years his total WAR has been 0.1 in over 1,000 PAs. The lowest WAR of any SS with enough ABs to qualify last year was 1.2. No SS last year with at least 300 PAs put up a WAR less than 1. Arcia isn't a low end regular, he's a replacement level player.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,369 Posts
    So is anyone else sort of worried about our pen being a bit thin..

I mean we have Minter and Riggy.. but after that, it feels like some '?'

Yates, Anderson, Stephenson, Jiminez.. is that an inspiring next 4

after that it is Chavez and Lee..
    Coppy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,051 Posts

Don't forget about McHugh.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,703 Posts

Mchugh

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,703 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    If anyone thought Shewmake should win the job because of a few ST ABs, then they should never be allowed to evaluate baseball talent. But I don't think everyone who ranks Shewmake over Arcia uses that reasoning. Shewmake is almost certainly the best defensive SS out of the three candidates. Grissom is brand new to the position and Arcia is below average defensively these days. If we were chiefly concerned about defense, we'd be going with Shewmake.

Grissom most likely has the best bat of the three. If we were willing to run a below average glove out there, Grissom would have been the better choice.

Arcia is just bad all around. He's below average defensively, he's not terribly useful at the plate, he really brings nothing to the table. I don't know why AA thinks for a second that Arcia should be anything other than a reserve infielder and a mediocre one at that.

If Arcia were to start all year, I'd be surprised if he put up a WAR over 1. Over the last 4 years his total WAR has been 0.1 in over 1,000 PAs. The lowest WAR of any SS with enough ABs to qualify last year was 1.2. No SS last year with at least 300 PAs put up a WAR less than 1. Arcia isn't a low end regular, he's a replacement level player.
    Again, snit said it would be shewmake or Grissom. Why shouldn't people take him at his word even though he obviously incorrect?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts

most projections have it as one of the league’s best pens, if not the best.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,369 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    Don't forget about McHugh.
    I guess I can toss him in the ?? pile since he is 35.
    Coppy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,992 Posts
    I guess I can toss him in the ?? pile since he is 35.
    Eh... dude is an elite reliever who doesn't rely on velocity... not too worried about him being 35. Nick Anderson will be fire if he stays healthy. I think Jiminez will still be a very good pen arm. Not too worried about then pen.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,369 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    Eh... dude is an elite reliever who doesn't rely on velocity... not too worried about him being 35. Nick Anderson will be fire if he stays healthy. I think Jiminez will still be a very good pen arm. Not too worried about then pen.

I am not sold on Jiminez nor Anderson. I did like Collin last year. And whatever TB did to him hopefully sticks around while we have him.

I will say, pen is usually fairly easy to upgrade and sometimes a prospect just appears from no where.
    Coppy

Spring Training Invitee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Does a player really gain anything from 100 PA in AAA? I mean, I would think consistent reps at SS and regular playing time would benefit both. So, to me, it would make more sense to have one in the Majors and one in AAA, so both are playing regular. Instead, we will get to watch Arcia be amazingly underwhelming and the 2 guys we hope will be the future SS have to split time at SS and 2nd base. I get the 'safe' move, but the Braves are where they are because they didn't play it safe and let the rookies run the show.
    It depends what the player needs. If the player needs game reps to get comfortable with a new approach at the plate to combat the book everyone has on him, 100 PAs in AAA can be huge. 100 PAs also gets Grissom roughly a month's worth of games to further polish his defense and prove his arm plays at SS.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,369 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OcalaBrave View Post
    It depends what the player needs. If the player needs game reps to get comfortable with a new approach at the plate to combat the book everyone has on him, 100 PAs in AAA can be huge. 100 PAs also gets Grissom roughly a month's worth of games to further polish his defense and prove his arm plays at SS.
    couldn't he do that in the majors? I mean him 'working' on things really going to be that much worse than Arcia??
    Coppy