Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: DOTW 7/10/13: Re-sign McCann?

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AUTiger7222 View Post
    I absolutely love McCann. My favorite player but I don't think it would be a wise deal for the Braves to give him big money. I just think a catcher needy team like the Rangers or Yankees are going to pay McCann a boat load of money. And they also have the DH to fall back on as well. If the Braves had the DH it would be a no brainer to keep B-Mac.
    Yankees have like 10 top catching prospects. They may go after Mac but I doubt it unless they free up money from A-Roid. Yankees don't seem keen to go bonkers on the luxury tax anymore. Rangers are an option but they seem near the north end of their spending and I think they'll gun hard for pitching.

I don't know if Mac will stay around or not. I know that if he wasnt to stay here, we won't match the best offer he'll get.

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    116 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    Yes he should be resigned as long as he takes a discount of some sort. Like 4/44 with a vesting 5th year option based on health and performance. There's a risk with him, but he's been our best player. I'd resign Mac, get Gattis a 3B mitt and get started on winning next year.
    you don't really think Gattis can play 3b, do you? Its a tough position and look at home many runs a stiff like CJ costs us. Gattis wouldn't even be at CJ's level defensively, IMO.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Yes he should be resigned as long as he takes a discount of some sort. Like 4/44 with a vesting 5th year option based on health and performance. There's a risk with him, but he's been our best player. I'd resign Mac, get Gattis a 3B mitt and get started on winning next year.
    that's a (minimum, IMO) $19MM discount. Very unlikely.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    If Mac can be had for around $12M per year Wren almost has to sign him. If the price gets driven into the $15M per year range he has to let him walk.

If Mac is resigned, Wren suddenly has a trade chip in Gattis that can help fix the few problems that exist with this roster. It is clear Gattis' bat is real, or at least real enough that Wren should not be paying $15M for a 35 year old catcher at the end of some long contract.

Brian Jordan's New BFF JohnAdcox's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    459 Posts
    I honestly believe that three things have to happen to make resigning B Mac even remotely likely:

First, The Braves advance far into the post season, creating revenue.

Second, B Mac signals willingness to consider at least something of a hometown discount.

Finally, the team hears serious rumbling that the DH is coming to the NL sooner rather than later, perhaps in return for, I don't know, maybe the union agreeing to accept harsher penalties for illegal substance use in the wake of any drug scandals that might happen to come to light.

If all three happen to create a perfect storm, I'd say there is a decent chance. Any two? A longshot. One or none? Slim at best.

Thoughts?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    I'm not sure how much revenue playoff games bring in so I can't even comment on the first one.

But I definitely think the 2nd one is key and the third could certainly play a role as well. Pretty obvious that Gattis would be an amazing DH/Backup catcher for us.

I also think Liberty could decide to sell the team at any point. That could be another wildcard.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    116 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    If Mac can be had for around $12M per year Wren almost has to sign him. If the price gets driven into the $15M per year range he has to let him walk.

If Mac is resigned, Wren suddenly has a trade chip in Gattis that can help fix the few problems that exist with this roster. It is clear Gattis' bat is real, or at least real enough that Wren should not be paying $15M for a 35 year old catcher at the end of some long contract.
    I don't think its as much about the annual $$ here as it is about contract lenght, we just can't go long unless we're using the DH. Somebody will give him 5 years, and it won't be us. Really doesn't matter if your at 12MM, 13 or 14 if you can't go out the same # of years.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    I am on the fence leaning towards re-signing him for 15 mill a year for 4-5 years or less if we can get it. I like Gattis but with catchers not being able to play full time and his ability to play other positions I think its worthwhile to have both of them. Justin and Heyward are only signed for 2 more years so we could let one of them go and use Gattis in a corner outfield spot. Odds are we dont keep both Heyward and Justin Upton regardless of if we sign McCann anyways. The only place I see them spending the money would use to re-sign McCann is on Kimbrel.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,278 Posts
    I want to resign him so bad. Love Mac. I just dont think it would be wise to go beyond 4 years

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Haven't seen the name Christian Bethancourt in this thread

I enjoy Gattis as much as the next guy but before you kick a player the caliber of McCann to the curb I'd like a little more there ---- there

and I do think Mac will take a hometown discount
    Last edited by 57Brave; 07-11-2013 at 03:30 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    If the Braves are willing to spend upwards of 13M then just make him a qualifying offer of around 14M and see what happens with Uggla and Justin Upton.

Called Up to the Major Leagues AUTiger7222's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    137 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnAdcox View Post
    I honestly believe that three things have to happen to make resigning B Mac even remotely likely:

First, The Braves advance far into the post season, creating revenue.

Second, B Mac signals willingness to consider at least something of a hometown discount.

Finally, the team hears serious rumbling that the DH is coming to the NL sooner rather than later, perhaps in return for, I don't know, maybe the union agreeing to accept harsher penalties for illegal substance use in the wake of any drug scandals that might happen to come to light.

If all three happen to create a perfect storm, I'd say there is a decent chance. Any two? A longshot. One or none? Slim at best.

Thoughts?
    The DH is coming to the NL. It's just a matter of when, not if. The MLBPA has seen how many player's careers have been prolonged thanks to it and the amount of money they've made just to swing the bat and there's just too much money involved for it not to get put into the NL eventually.

Called Up to the Major Leagues AUTiger7222's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    137 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TURBO View Post
    I want to resign him so bad. Love Mac. I just dont think it would be wise to go beyond 4 years
    I think if McCann would be willing to do 4 years 48 mill as the base contract with incentives that could make it 56-60 mil overall and a vesting option for a 5th year (called an evergreen clause by JS) based on innings caught and plate appearances I think the Braves would make that deal. I certainly would.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yeezus View Post
    that's a (minimum, IMO) $19MM discount. Very unlikely.
    You flat out don't know. I'm sure Mac knows that he can get more money leaving here for somewhere else. and if he wants to go that route he will. But he's a Georgia boy, who's wife is a georgia native, who's charity is Georgia based, who's family is all Georgia based, who was drafted by the Braves and has only played for one club. If there ever was a great FA that Braves had who was likely to take a steep discount it was Mac, and I'm sure Mac knows by taking a steep cut he frees up the ability to keep Heyward and Freeman.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stpeteirish View Post
    you don't really think Gattis can play 3b, do you? Its a tough position and look at home many runs a stiff like CJ costs us. Gattis wouldn't even be at CJ's level defensively, IMO.
    Gattis I'm fairly comfortable with thinking he can best Johnson, he's got more athletic ability than CJ. Guys like Bench and Torre were able to make late career moves to 3B, I'm pretty sure Gattis could as well. Though ideally, I'd send Freddie back over there (again can't be much worse than CJ) and go with C/1B platoon with Mac and Gattis.

I'd also not be opposed to if someone would offer a fortune trading Freddie. And by a fortune realize I'm talking several top prospects or young major league players of high caliber.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    There is a constant litany on these and other boards about player so and so taking a home town discount to resign. It simply never happens. Players (all players) are not worried that much about their future but the future of their children and grandchildren. A player like Paul Janish who will never earn more than the league minimum is already set for life but you cant say the same for their future generations.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PawPawMaxwell View Post
    There is a constant litany on these and other boards about player so and so taking a home town discount to resign. It simply never happens. Players (all players) are not worried that much about their future but the future of their children and grandchildren. A player like Paul Janish who will never earn more than the league minimum is already set for life but you cant say the same for their future generations.
    John Smoltz, Chipper Jones, Brian McCann's first contract, Tim Hudson, Andruw Jones, all players who took steep hometown discounts for this team. Sure many of them were years ago, but it does happen. Heck recently Cliff Lee turned down 50 million to play in Philly.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to zitothebrave For This Useful Post:

AUTiger7222 (07-12-2013)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PawPawMaxwell View Post
    It does happen. Chipper took discounts for years. And that's just one example.

High School Draftee ProbationDeac's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    Gattis I'm fairly comfortable with thinking he can best Johnson, he's got more athletic ability than CJ. Guys like Bench and Torre were able to make late career moves to 3B, I'm pretty sure Gattis could as well. Though ideally, I'd send Freddie back over there (again can't be much worse than CJ) and go with C/1B platoon with Mac and Gattis.

I'd also not be opposed to if someone would offer a fortune trading Freddie. And by a fortune realize I'm talking several top prospects or young major league players of high caliber.
    I mean it would have to be a ridiculous great deal for me to agree with trading Freddie.

I will agree with others that Mac could give us a nice hometown discount. It has happened in the past and certainly could again. With that said, I think it's more likely then not that Mac is playing somewhere else next year.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    I know that the Braves are our favorite team and the players are special to us but lets not get blinded by that fan(atisism).

Smoltz is first up so remember Every time Smoltz signed a new contract it was coming off injury. BTW he made 13oM
    Chipper signed his first big contract early in his career and was quoted as saying: "I didnt know there was this money in the world" BTW he got substantial signing bonus money as well.
    McCann signed his current contract pre arbitration and wanting to get married. No way was his contract discounted.
    Hudson got 4 years, 3 guaranteed coming off TJ surgery and in his mid 30's.
    Andruw Jones signed a very similar contract to Chippers at the insistance of his father.

So what Im saying here is that I dont see a truly hometown discount in the bunch.