Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: DOTW 7/10/13: Re-sign McCann?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Sadly I see Medlen traded after this season as well. But I still wouldn't bring Huddy back at more than 5-6 million. You are playing with fire hoping he will still be good at his age.
    I really wouldn't mind him at all for 5-7 mil to be the 5th starter. He will at least be good enough next year to be 5th starter.

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,761 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PawPawMaxwell View Post
    Some day Im going to learn how to pull down quotes and posts. What do the Rangers do with Kinsler if they take Uggla in a sympathetic gesture? And didnt Gattis get a look at 3rd in the minors and winter ball? The decision being to move him to LF.
    Winter ball would've been before we traded for JUP IIRC.

Hell even if he fields abotu the same as CJ, you put his bat in the game.

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BravesFanInSAV View Post
    Winter ball would've been before we traded for JUP IIRC.

Hell even if he fields abotu the same as CJ, you put his bat in the game.
    That is true as far as it goes but at that time Prado and Reed Johnson were penciled in to platoon and Francisco and Prado at 3rd.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yeezus View Post
    See I don't buy into Olt at all. I'd rather deal him for a younger, higher-upside guy. And man, having another guy who will strike out 160+ times? eek.
    I agree with this one as well. If you want a young 3rd base prospect and are looking for a willing trade partner, assuming Walden and Avilan pan out as projected then consider moving Kimbrel for Castellanos and maybe even Rondon.

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,761 Posts
    That is true as far as it goes but at that time Prado and Reed Johnson were penciled in to platoon and Francisco and Prado at 3rd.
    Point taken, but with Francisco being more of a ? than Reed Johnson, I'm sure they tried Gattis at 3rd in winterball so that 80% of the time, we'd see Gattis at 3rd and Prado in LF rather than Reed in LF and Prado at 3rd.

Winterball is just a place where the Braves experiment with their players anyways. Gattis was hitting for sure, so they just experimented where they could put him. AT the same time I'm sure Wren knew he was going to make a strong push for Upton, so Gattis' versatility was just icing on the cake.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    Point taken, but with Francisco being more of a ? than Reed Johnson, I'm sure they tried Gattis at 3rd in winterball so that 80% of the time, we'd see Gattis at 3rd and Prado in LF rather than Reed in LF and Prado at 3rd.

Winterball is just a place where the Braves experiment with their players anyways. Gattis was hitting for sure, so they just experimented where they could put him. AT the same time I'm sure Wren knew he was going to make a strong push for Upton, so Gattis' versatility was just icing on the cake.
    IIRC Upton came into the picture AFTER Arizona got Gregorious when they couldnt get Profar. Had already asked for Simmons and Wren backed away. Then when Prado (reportedly) wouldnt negotiate a long term deal and Arizona accepted Prado and DelGado and threw in Chris Johnson out of the blue.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    It hasn't been emphasized, but re-signing McCann means we can trade Gattis for that young third baseman we all want.

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,761 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    It hasn't been emphasized, but re-signing McCann means we can trade Gattis for that young third baseman we all want.
    The question is, will that 3rd baseman be young enough to satisfy Zito's hunger?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    The question is, will that 3rd baseman be young enough to satisfy Zito's hunger?
    I think there may be one or two in the DSL young enough to satisfy him.

Called Up to the Major Leagues AUTiger7222's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    137 Posts
    I know that the Braves are our favorite team and the players are special to us but lets not get blinded by that fan(atisism).

Smoltz is first up so remember Every time Smoltz signed a new contract it was coming off injury. BTW he made 13oM
    Chipper signed his first big contract early in his career and was quoted as saying: "I didnt know there was this money in the world" BTW he got substantial signing bonus money as well.
    McCann signed his current contract pre arbitration and wanting to get married. No way was his contract discounted.
    Hudson got 4 years, 3 guaranteed coming off TJ surgery and in his mid 30's.
    Andruw Jones signed a very similar contract to Chippers at the insistance of his father.

So what Im saying here is that I dont see a truly hometown discount in the bunch.
    Really? Chipper and Andruw didn't take discounts to stay with the Braves? Andruw Jones was 24-years old, had Scott Boras as his agent and was coming off 2 monster seasons and the Braves got him re-signed for 6-years $75M or an average of $12.5M a year. Andruw had his dad do the contract with the Braves instead of Boras because he wanted to say. Had Andruw hit the free agent market, he would have gotten $150M easily because of the deals A-Rod, Jeter and Helton had just gotten. And do I really need to say anything about Chipper? He kept restructuring his contract and deferring money to say with the Braves and to try to keep the Braves competitive.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to AUTiger7222 For This Useful Post:

Metaphysicist (07-12-2013)

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    211 Posts
    I love Mac but I still don't re-sign him. We have his replacement and another option coming in Bethancourt. With a lot of our young talent that will need to be locked up soon, this is an easy spot to save. My ideal scenario is if Beachy comes back strong and Teheran continues to look like a top of the rotation starter, then let Hudson, Maholm, Mccann walk. Rotation is Minor, Beachy, Teheran, Medlen, Wood/others battle it out. Then spend our money on a big 3B.

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,761 Posts
    Betancourt isn't a sure thing.

McCann is. You know what you're going to get out a healthy McCann, an 80% McCann, a 50% McCann.

Gattis may end up cooling down, you don't know that. You're underrating McCann's value. If McCann was injury free, this is a no-brainer but it also means his market value may fetch him a little less than what Mauer got.

The fact that he does have the injury ring flying above his head, gives us an advantage in negotiations IMO, unless a team like New York literally has money to throw at him at no risk.
    Forever Fredi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts

McCann is. You know what you're going to get out a healthy McCann, an 80% McCann, a 50% McCann.

Gattis may end up cooling down, you don't know that. You're underrating McCann's value. If McCann was injury free, this is a no-brainer but it also means his market value may fetch him a little less than what Mauer got.

The fact that he does have the injury ring flying above his head, gives us an advantage in negotiations IMO, unless a team like New York literally has money to throw at him at no risk.
    Bethancourt is FAR from a sure thing. I read something a bit ago that said no one believes in his bat outside the Braves org. He isn't really an option except as a defensive backup.

Called Up to the Major Leagues AUTiger7222's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    137 Posts

I don't think if he were fully healthy he would be in the Yadier Molina range, not Joe Mauer range. But the injury history will lessen his value some. Like I said I think we could get him for 4 years $48M as the base value of a deal.

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    I know that the Braves are our favorite team and the players are special to us but lets not get blinded by that fan(atisism).

Smoltz is first up so remember Every time Smoltz signed a new contract it was coming off injury. BTW he made 13oM
    Chipper signed his first big contract early in his career and was quoted as saying: "I didnt know there was this money in the world" BTW he got substantial signing bonus money as well.
    McCann signed his current contract pre arbitration and wanting to get married. No way was his contract discounted.
    Hudson got 4 years, 3 guaranteed coming off TJ surgery and in his mid 30's.
    Andruw Jones signed a very similar contract to Chippers at the insistance of his father.

So what Im saying here is that I dont see a truly hometown discount in the bunch.
    He still according to several people (JS being one of them) signed a team friendly deal. He could have gone the Glavine rate and taken taop dollar.

Chipper signed a 6/90 deal pretty fresh of being NL MVP around the same time as Hampton signed 8/121 Giambi 7/120 Jeter 10/189 and A-Roids 10/252. After a great career and very good 05 Chipper signed what became a 4/48 contract and was awesome. The only deal we paid close to market value for Chipper on was his last 3/42

Mac signed the deal pre-arb and sure he could have choked like Failcouer did and it wouldn't have been so team friendly, but his contract he signed was (IIRC not gonna research it) less than the similar deals signed by Wright and Reyes by a healthy margin.

Hudson signed for a essentially a 4/36 contract the same offseason a bum like Randy Wolf signed a 3/28 and John Lackey signed a 5/82. The offseason before saw massive contracts to lesser pitchers like AJ Burnett and Derek Lowe and the year Huddy would have been a FA (2010) saw Jorge de La Rosa sign 2/22. Hudson's first extension with the Braves 4/47 was also way below market, you saw what guys like Barry Zito, Gil Meche and bad Jason Schmidt got as FA. Imagine what Huddy could have gotten. He wanted to play here and signed for less because of it.

And Andruw's first contract was a mega steal, he was super young and signed a very reasonable contract. In FA he would have easily been a 100M+ player.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to zitothebrave For This Useful Post:

Metaphysicist (07-12-2013)

Scripps National Spelling Bee Finalist elmonthc's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Wed never be able to replace bmac as a catcher. I wouldnt go more thwn four years though.

Playing the Waiting Game
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    77 Posts
    I'm more concerned about losing Mac's presence behind the plate than I am his offensive ability. I think the Braves find a way to keep him with the club (Same for Hudson).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    I love Mac but I think we let him walk and try to spend some money on an ace. It is a risky proposition either way.
    aka RHT10/Cokeman

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    83 Posts
    If you wanna keep McCann be ready to say goodbye to at least one of Freddie/jason. And Kimbrel. Not only do I not think he's back, I don't think the braves are all that cocerned w bringing him back...

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory ChapelHillMatt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    187 Posts
    I hinted at this in the gamethread today but this is what frustrates me with this organization. We are going to let a very good hitter walk because we spent money on BJ and Uggla. For an organization like ours we simply can't make those kind of mistakes and because we did we are going to suffer for it. We have to stop handing out bad contracts to bad players and keep the good ones we have developed on our own.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to ChapelHillMatt For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (07-13-2013)