Page 1 of 41 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Minor League Thread

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts

Minor League Thread

Without rico to do the daily minor league threads, I think we just use this thread for conversation about the minor league happenings. I don't see any need to make daily threads.

Everyone was off yesterday - action gets started again tonight. Soroka starting for Gwinnett is probably the most interesting one. 17-year-old Didier Fuentes gets his second start in Augusta.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,704 Posts
    Are there any promising position guys in lower minors?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Are there any promising position guys in lower minors?
    Not many. I’m interested in the 1-3 hitters in the August and Rome order. There are some others, but not many.

For Augusta, it’s Tyler Collins, Ambioris Tavarez and David McCabe. Collins has elite speed but questions about how much he can actually impact the ball when he swings. Tavarez can really defend at shortstop, tons of hitting questions. McCabe is playing 3B now but might go to 1B in the future. Good hitting background but he’s a college guy in Low A, so I’d wait until he gets to at least Rome before taking much out of his performance.

For Rome, it’s Kevin Kilpatrick, Drake Baldwin and Ignacio Alvarez. Kilpatrick was a late pick last year and is a great athlete in center, we’ll see how the offensive package comes together. Baldwin was our 3rd rounder last year as a catcher and is off to a good start offensively. Alvarez was an unknown when we took him in the fifth round last year but all he’s done is hit since getting drafted. He’s 19 and in High A, and off to a good start while playing shortstop. I really don’t think he’s a shortstop long term, but could probably handle the other infield spots. Tons of contact, good walk numbers - his impact likely comes down to how much power he gets to, but there’s a lot to like with him. Alvarez is probably the best prospect of the six I mentioned. Him or Baldwin.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CJ9 For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (04-19-2023), msstate7 (04-18-2023)

Gwinnett Bound
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ9 View Post
    Not many. I’m interested in the 1-3 hitters in the August and Rome order. There are some others, but not many.

For Augusta, it’s Tyler Collins, Ambioris Tavarez and David McCabe. Collins has elite speed but questions about how much he can actually impact the ball when he swings. Tavarez can really defend at shortstop, tons of hitting questions. McCabe is playing 3B now but might go to 1B in the future. Good hitting background but he’s a college guy in Low A, so I’d wait until he gets to at least Rome before taking much out of his performance.

For Rome, it’s Kevin Kilpatrick, Drake Baldwin and Ignacio Alvarez. Kilpatrick was a late pick last year and is a great athlete in center, we’ll see how the offensive package comes together. Baldwin was our 3rd rounder last year as a catcher and is off to a good start offensively. Alvarez was an unknown when we took him in the fifth round last year but all he’s done is hit since getting drafted. He’s 19 and in High A, and off to a good start while playing shortstop. I really don’t think he’s a shortstop long term, but could probably handle the other infield spots. Tons of contact, good walk numbers - his impact likely comes down to how much power he gets to, but there’s a lot to like with him. Alvarez is probably the best prospect of the six I mentioned. Him or Baldwin.
    Good summary. I like Nacho Alvarez a good bit- he was primarily thought of as a good fielder when he was first taken, but he was playing third. Braves must feel really good about his ability with the glove to move him to SS for his first full season. I think he can be a guy if I can keep the plate discipline and find a little bit of pop.

I still believe in Kadon Morton's tools at the plate, but he's got to find a way to cut down on the swing and miss. When he gets a hold of one he can hit it a long way.

McCabe has been very good so far and has some promise.

Not really low minors, but I think Cody Milligan can be a useful bench piece for a contending team. The guy plays hard and finds a way to make things happen. Having a great start to the season so far, as is Luke waddell at Mississippi who I also think ends up a bench piece for the Braves during this window.

Collins seemed to get a lot of hype, but he seems more like Terrance Gore to me and less like Michael Harris. All sorts of speed but not really anything else.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to McCann'sCans For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (04-19-2023)

Gwinnett Bound
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ9 View Post
    Without rico to do the daily minor league threads, I think we just use this thread for conversation about the minor league happenings. I don't see any need to make daily threads.

Everyone was off yesterday - action gets started again tonight. Soroka starting for Gwinnett is probably the most interesting one. 17-year-old Didier Fuentes gets his second start in Augusta.
    Fuentes may be absolutely nothing, but he looked very good in his first start for a 17 year old. Would be exciting to see him burst onto the scene.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to McCann'sCans For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (04-19-2023)

Spring Training Invitee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    53 Posts
    I was at the Augusta game on Sunday. Couple of thoughts:

McCabe mashed the ball all day. Big dude. Made a couple really good throws from beyond the foul line. I can see how he might be a 1B though with his size though.

Tavarez looked lost at the plate but made all the plays in the field.

Collins didn’t do much and looked like a slap hitter.

Jared Johnson was a reliever, came in throwing absolute gas. Everyone was watching the radar on the stadium screen. He touched 99 a couple times. Would be interested to see more of him. He looked great. Control looks to be a little iffy at first but when he got warm it was fun to watch.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    620 Posts
    Good to hear about JJ…. He could be a future high leverage fireballer..

Gwinnett Bound
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluedevilruss View Post
    I was at the Augusta game on Sunday. Couple of thoughts:

McCabe mashed the ball all day. Big dude. Made a couple really good throws from beyond the foul line. I can see how he might be a 1B though with his size though.

Collins didn’t do much and looked like a slap hitter.

Jared Johnson was a reliever, came in throwing absolute gas. Everyone was watching the radar on the stadium screen. He touched 99 a couple times. Would be interested to see more of him. He looked great. Control looks to be a little iffy at first but when he got warm it was fun to watch.
    Collins has Juan Pierre vibes to me. Not suggesting he's going to be a long time MLB CF, just in that he's a slappy hitter who might be a HR every 500 ABs kind of guy.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluedevilruss View Post
    Good observations. From what I saw of him, he guesses a lot right now. No idea how he's being set up, but what's encouraging is that when he guesses right, he's been on pitches pretty well. Gonna be a minute before he figures it out. Fielding wise, I said before the season started that he's good in the field. He's done nothing to alter that thought in a negative way.

Danville Rookie
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Deester11 View Post
    Good observations. From what I saw of him, he guesses a lot right now. No idea how he's being set up, but what's encouraging is that when he guesses right, he's been on pitches pretty well. Gonna be a minute before he figures it out. Fielding wise, I said before the season started that he's good in the field. He's done nothing to alter that thought in a negative way.
    Ironic that he's showing glove first considering every report I read on him said his bat was what was his loudest tool (some said he had elite bat speed and projection). He's a big guy but there are large SSs now in MLB - if he fills out more, though, he projects more as a 3B than a SS. Obviously its still very early in his career and he's just now being exposed to stateside pro ball so I'd give him a couple of years to assess where he's at.

Spring Training Invitee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    53 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ramadon101 View Post
    Ironic that he's showing glove first considering every report I read on him said his bat was what was his loudest tool (some said he had elite bat speed and projection). He's a big guy but there are large SSs now in MLB - if he fills out more, though, he projects more as a 3B than a SS. Obviously its still very early in his career and he's just now being exposed to stateside pro ball so I'd give him a couple of years to assess where he's at.
    He looks the part of a baseball player I will say that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    Austin Smith activated off the IL and going to Double A. Probably not a future closer or anything, but could be an interesting reliever to watch. Closed for Rome last year and had a solid year.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    Fuentes was listed as the starter in Augusta tonight, but now it’s Cedric de Grandpre - an interesting juco arm from last year’s class. Hope Fuentes isn’t hurt.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ramadon101 View Post
    His glove got good reviews in minor league camp last year. So much so that it's not a given he moves off short. As stated above..he's beginning to fill out.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    Anyone watch Soroka tonight. Seems he is still a bit wild but results remain good.

5ip. 4hits. 2 walks. 4 Ks. No runs. 80 pitches. Probably it for him.
    Coppy

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    Well color me shocked.. Soroka went out and completed 6 innings (10 pitches last inning) hit a guy, K'd a guy, DP grounder. 91(54) pitches is a great sign.. just like to see better strike to ball ratio.

Mchugh with 1.2 innings 1 walk, 1 hit 2 K's 0 runs.
    Coppy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,992 Posts
    Soroka’s first inning was rough but he was REALLY good afterwards. Not really wild at all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Soroka is getting better. There’s no room right now with Elder pitching well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,522 Posts
    Soroka sitting at 92 concerns me in my hopes of him getting back to his former form.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post
    Soroka sitting at 92 concerns me in my hopes of him getting back to his former form.
    He averaged 92.9 during the best season of his career.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to CJ9 For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (04-19-2023)