Thread: Minor League Thread

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    I guess we will know soon enough what the Braves intentions are. Winans will audition today. Maybe Waldrep next week?
    Mort out for first round.
    Dont think it's been said how long Morton is out but we only need a 3rd starter in the 1st round given the days off/schedule. If we play Philly, i would much rather have Morton pitch in CBP than Elder. Nevermind, just saw he's out for the NLDS, brutal.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    Dont think it's been said how long Morton is out but we only need a 3rd starter in the 1st round given the days off/schedule. If we play Philly, i would much rather have Morton pitch in CBP than Elder. Nevermind, just saw he's out for the NLDS, brutal.
    He could replace an injured pitcher.
    Coppy

Creepy Lurking Stalker
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Tough crowd in regard to Morton. The old dude finished an inning with a broken leg a couple Octobers ago.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to SoCalDawg For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (09-25-2023)

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    149 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDawg View Post
    Tough crowd in regard to Morton. The old dude finished an inning with a broken leg a couple Octobers ago.
    Right?
    He’s as tough as they come.
    If he says he won’t be effective if he pitches I’m gonna believe him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,992 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDawg View Post
    It’s just the one same old troll getting on him

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,992 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Waldrep...
    4.1 ip 4 h 0 er 3 bb 5 k

Dodd...
    4.0 ip 1 h 0 er 2 bb 7 k

Nice outing from Dodd Vs a good team
    Waldrep also hit a guy and threw 2 wild pitches. Although with that split finger the wild pitches aren’t surprising.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to zbhargrove For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (09-25-2023)

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    No idea. I really wish I could see him pitch... is he just wild as hell or barely missing?
    His command of the fb is the issue imho. He will sometimes lead with it but get behind in the count allowing smart hitters to lay off of his most devastating pitch. He’s not crazy wild, but it’s all relative if hitters can lay off his fb. When he’s ahead in the count, it’s unfair to try to hit him.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Jay212033 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (12-23-2023)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Now if he can just do something about that 40% K-rate.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    Now if he can just do something about that 40% K-rate.
    He played better towards the end of the season but he definitely has to cut waaaay down on the Ks.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay212033 View Post
    He played better towards the end of the season but he definitely has to cut waaaay down on the Ks.
    Dude went through a lot before he played meaningful games. He takes instruction well and I'm hoping he makes enough adjustments to jump up our (the Braves) prospects list. He surpassed everyone's expectations defensively. We shall see obviously...but that K rate was a problem for many of the lower level hitters.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Deester11 View Post
    Dude went through a lot before he played meaningful games. He takes instruction well and I'm hoping he makes enough adjustments to jump up our (the Braves) prospects list. He surpassed everyone's expectations defensively. We shall see obviously...but that K rate was a problem for many of the lower level hitters.
    The decision not to field a Dominican Summer League team in 2021 never made a ton of sense to me. The Coppolella sanctions are the hatrack on which a myriad of excuses are hung and when you add the COVID lay-off year into the mix, I guess a case can be made to not have a team that year although it didn't deter any other major league franchise from putting teams in that league. That threw Tavarez into the FCL for his first taste of professional experience, which turned out to be a steep climb for someone who had basically taken a year off from competition.

I've griped about it before, but a lot of the Braves' minor league hitting prospects seem to have horrendous K-rates. I get that they have a "swing hard" approach to hitting, but if that's not combined with pitch recognition and some measure of contact, AA is often the ceiling for a ton of those guys. Notable exceptions appear to be Baldwin and Alvarez, so it's not universal. I've always thought the contact-recognition-power progression is the optimal approach. Things might be changing a bit in terms of instruction because the K-rates for the DSL players was considerably lower this year than it has been in the past.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    The decision not to field a Dominican Summer League team in 2021 never made a ton of sense to me. The Coppolella sanctions are the hatrack on which a myriad of excuses are hung and when you add the COVID lay-off year into the mix, I guess a case can be made to not have a team that year although it didn't deter any other major league franchise from putting teams in that league. That threw Tavarez into the FCL for his first taste of professional experience, which turned out to be a steep climb for someone who had basically taken a year off from competition.

I've griped about it before, but a lot of the Braves' minor league hitting prospects seem to have horrendous K-rates. I get that they have a "swing hard" approach to hitting, but if that's not combined with pitch recognition and some measure of contact, AA is often the ceiling for a ton of those guys. Notable exceptions appear to be Baldwin and Alvarez, so it's not universal. I've always thought the contact-recognition-power progression is the optimal approach. Things might be changing a bit in terms of instruction because the K-rates for the DSL players was considerably lower this year than it has been in the past.
    I've followed Bobby Moore, Romes hitting coach for a while. He's the offensive version of Wash when it comes to offense. There are plenty of adjustments he gets hitters to make, but somewhere along the way, pitch recognition has become a weakness for a lot of Braves hitters. I will say..if the hitters are going to miss that much, they may as well let it rip. But it gets ugly.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Deester11 For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (12-24-2023)