Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shewmake on his way

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts

Shewmake on his way

Didn’t see it posted anywhere. Starting SS tonight?

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    Didn’t see it posted anywhere. Starting SS tonight?
    In yesterdays GDT. I hope so but I doubt it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    In yesterdays GDT. I hope so but I doubt it.
    I think they will. Grissom has been pretty bad on defense. Need to see what he has.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,993 Posts
    He is indeed starting tonight

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    finally a ROY opportunity. Arcia bout to get wallie pipped. Shewmake got some work to do to run down Outman..
    Coppy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Arcia will be back in like 10 days. Started swinging a bat this week, has been doing everything else already
    Ivermectin Man

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Good chance Shewmake is up to stay as a reserve player and Adrianza is DFA'd, imo. I don't expect Shewmake to be great or anything, but Adrianza is just not a MLB caliber player anymore. Guessing that's why Shewmake has been playing a ton of 2b even with Grissom in the bigs.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,494 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    Good chance Shewmake is up to stay as a reserve player and Adrianza is DFA'd, imo. I don't expect Shewmake to be great or anything, but Adrianza is just not a MLB caliber player anymore. Guessing that's why Shewmake has been playing a ton of 2b even with Grissom in the bigs.
    He hasn't gotten a lot of chances to play but Adrianza was 0 for the seadson. It was time to fill that spot with someone else. Not sure you want both Grissom and Shewmake on the same roster and neither getting full playing time. Especially once Arcia gets back.
    Get off my lawn!

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanforlife88 View Post
    He hasn't gotten a lot of chances to play but Adrianza was 0 for the seadson. It was time to fill that spot with someone else. Not sure you want both Grissom and Shewmake on the same roster and neither getting full playing time. Especially once Arcia gets back.
    Grissom isn't ready. He needs to go back to AAA once Aricia is ready. Needs to work on his defense a ton if he's gonna make it as a SS. It may be best for him to try him out at more positions so he can be a super sub.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    Grissom isn't ready. He needs to go back to AAA once Aricia is ready. Needs to work on his defense a ton if he's gonna make it as a SS. It may be best for him to try him out at more positions so he can be a super sub.
    I honestly don't think his bat will play. I would stick him at 2B and let him just rake in AAA this year and then try to move him for best offer you can get.
    Coppy

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    600 Posts
    I think that's unlikely. If Grissom or Shewmake are up I think the Braves want them to have clear roads to playing time. With Arcia back that wouldn't be the case. Adriazna is a vet clubhouse guy that can field SS and a few different positions in a pinch. If we wanted to move on from him we could do so without having prospects rot on the bench.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    600 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    I honestly don't think his bat will play. I would stick him at 2B and let him just rake in AAA this year and then try to move him for best offer you can get.
    I agree with you. He's got a SS bat with a LF/1B/DH glove. I'd be interested to see if he could play some quality defense at 3B and possibly shift Riley to LF but otherwise it doesn't look good.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    I’m a little surprised anyone thinks shew is the answer to any roster spot

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

cajunrevenge (05-05-2023)

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    I’m a little surprised anyone thinks shew is the answer to any roster spot
    For real.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    I’m not sure Arcia is the answer either - he had a great start no doubt - but he might come in here cold as ice and put up 7M over three years back up worthy numbers. I wouldn’t be surprised to see the FO address this immensely at the deadline - and if that’s the plan, then Griss and Shew both need to be out by the lake raking on AAA pitching- would need both of them as part of package for a deal …. Problem of course is that a significant upgrade trade is gonna cost way more than those two … like AJSS - and that would piss me off to the end of the moon.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Slippyjms View Post
    I think that's unlikely. If Grissom or Shewmake are up I think the Braves want them to have clear roads to playing time. With Arcia back that wouldn't be the case. Adriazna is a vet clubhouse guy that can field SS and a few different positions in a pinch. If we wanted to move on from him we could do so without having prospects rot on the bench.
    Shewmake is hardly a prospect. He's 25 years old and has been extremely mediocre in the minors. His future is likely as a utility player.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,052 Posts
    Shewmake is hardly a prospect. He's 25 years old and has been extremely mediocre in the minors. His future is likely as a utility player.
    A utility player might be an ambitious goal for him considering his bat.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    What about Tim Anderson? He has a team option for next year And the White Sox aren’t very good.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    I would love to have Anderson - having a true hitter with a .300 batting average- with as many runners as we get on base - would just be huge.
    He’s not gonna hit 30 hrs or anything, but that would make our lineup just insane. And he does have some pop… and he’s only 30.

I bet the Sox will want the moon for him though- and not sure we realistically have enough - unless we gave up a multiple of our young stud pitchers- and we are going to need them. As long we keep winning I think the smart move is to stay the course with Arcia and hope he can be decent.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hulavol View Post
    I would love to have Anderson - having a true hitter with a .300 batting average- with as many runners as we get on base - would just be huge.
    He’s not gonna hit 30 hrs or anything, but that would make our lineup just insane. And he does have some pop… and he’s only 30.

I bet the Sox will want the moon for him though- and not sure we realistically have enough - unless we gave up a multiple of our young stud pitchers- and we are going to need them. As long we keep winning I think the smart move is to stay the course with Arcia and hope he can be decent.

Put Anderson in between Acuna and Olson and the lineup is even more insane. He’s from Alabama and grew up a Braves fan and is super competitive so I’m sure he’d love coming here. He’s a FA after next year so getting him extended wouldn’t be hard. Grissom would be the starting point and a couple of pitchers no doubt.
    Last edited by Hudson2; 05-06-2023 at 10:03 AM.