Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: GDT 5/15/23: Braves @ Rangers

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBrave View Post
    Do we even have the pieces to acquire him? We could easily be outbid by any other team with a stronger farm system.
    He's rental having a good/not great season. I would somewhat compare it to the Snydergaard or Jose Qunitana trades last season. Should not cost anything extravagant.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PawPawMaxwell View Post
    CBA> CBA> A back up catcher for $8M is a bit much dont you think.. Oh wait......Hell It aint your money. J/K
    We can shed money other places. I would not expect us to pick up the option on Morton (though, honestly I wouldn't be completely surprised if we did).

Rosario will be gone. So will Jiminez, Pillar, and Chavez. Potentially 35+ million freed up from the luxury tax calculations before factoring in increases in Arbitration.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    Our real problem is we don't have a great option at short. Arcia is going to fall back to earth hard. There's no way he's a .900 OPS hitter and it's highly unlikely he's an .800 OPS hitter. His career high OPS coming into this year was .734 and his career OPS sits at .674.

One thing I'm actually shocked about is that Arcia has played league average defense so far. His defense has been trending downward for years. I suspect he'll end the season as a below average defender.

So unless Arcia started taking something, we should probably expect him to hit one of his prolonged slumps at some point and end the year with a .750ish OPS (if we're lucky). Getting that out of a SS with mediocre defense isn't exactly anything to write home about.

Yes Grissom has disappointed and while Shewmake can pick it at SS he's a disaster at the plate. But those facts don't make Arcia someone we should be content with as our SS. We need to ride his hot streak while it lasts yet with always an eye on potential improvement.
    That would be roughly a 2 WAR SS, which most of us said was possible a couple months ago, and you deemed impossible. A 2 WAR SS is absolutely a positive on a team that is stacked at almost every other position.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    That would be roughly a 2 WAR SS, which most of us said was possible a couple months ago, and you deemed impossible. A 2 WAR SS is absolutely a positive on a team that is stacked at almost every other position.
    Especially for his cost.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    Especially for his cost.
    This was always hte correct argument.

Arcia will produce a bunch of surplus value and thats all you can ask for when you have a loaded everyday lineup.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,993 Posts
    Our real problem is we don't have a great option at short. Arcia is going to fall back to earth hard. There's no way he's a .900 OPS hitter and it's highly unlikely he's an .800 OPS hitter. His career high OPS coming into this year was .734 and his career OPS sits at .674.

One thing I'm actually shocked about is that Arcia has played league average defense so far. His defense has been trending downward for years. I suspect he'll end the season as a below average defender.

So unless Arcia started taking something, we should probably expect him to hit one of his prolonged slumps at some point and end the year with a .750ish OPS (if we're lucky). Getting that out of a SS with mediocre defense isn't exactly anything to write home about.

Yes Grissom has disappointed and while Shewmake can pick it at SS he's a disaster at the plate. But those facts don't make Arcia someone we should be content with as our SS. We need to ride his hot streak while it lasts yet with always an eye on potential improvement.
    I think you’re overstating Arcia’s defensive decline quite a bit. The last couple years he’s mainly been playing at positions other than his native position at SS… mainly 2B and LF… now that he’s back at SS, he’s been as solid as he always had been there. I highly doubt he will be a below average defensive SS by the end of the year. Sure he’s not gonna keep up at .900 OPS with a .392 BABIP… but he did have a well documented swing change and the Braves always saw something they loved. I think some of what he’s doing is a little more real than you’re giving credit.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,052 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    I think you’re overstating Arcia’s defensive decline quite a bit. The last couple years he’s mainly been playing at positions other than his native position at SS… mainly 2B and LF… now that he’s back at SS, he’s been as solid as he always had been there. I highly doubt he will be a below average defensive SS by the end of the year. Sure he’s not gonna keep up at .900 OPS with a .392 BABIP… but he did have a well documented swing change and the Braves always saw something they loved. I think some of what he’s doing is a little more real than you’re giving credit.
    His main position last year was 2B. He played in the OF for a little bit but only a fraction of the time he spent at 2B. His numbers at 2B were pretty mediocre. In 2021 he spent most of his time in LF but surprisingly his numbers were averageish there too.

A guy who can only play an average 2B is unlikely to be an incredible SS.

But Arcia's defense at SS specifically has been in decline for a while. When he first came up he was a good SS. His 2017 and 2018 numbers were good but he fell off in 2019. His numbers have never really recovered at SS with average defense being his ceiling. Statcast has him a little below average this year. I expected worse but it's still early.

I'll also say, Arcia doesn't do great on the eye test either. Over his time here he's looked very mediocre at SS.

I do think the Braves love for Arcia is overstated. They were trying hard to shift Grissom to SS in the offseason and talked that up. Not something you do if you love a guy. Also, they've kept Arcia buried in the 9th spot. So I don't think the Braves are big believers in his hot start.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    All this effort and these words to combat the idea that Arcia can be a cheap 2 WAR SS on a stacked team. Amazing, useless dedication.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Super For This Useful Post:

Carp (05-18-2023)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,052 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    All this effort and these words to combat the idea that Arcia can be a cheap 2 WAR SS on a stacked team. Amazing, useless dedication.
    You said yourself how stacked the team is. On a worse team no one would be saying much about Arcia as there would be other more pressing problems to discuss.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to striker42 For This Useful Post:

Super (05-17-2023)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    You said yourself how stacked the team is. On a worse team no one would be saying much about Arcia as there would be other more pressing problems to discuss.
    I feel the opposite. On a non stacked lineup SS would be an area where we could look to make a big upgrade. Simple fact is you aren't going to have all-star at every position. Arcia at SS is a nice roleplayer which is what the team needs.

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,761 Posts
    His main position last year was 2B. He played in the OF for a little bit but only a fraction of the time he spent at 2B. His numbers at 2B were pretty mediocre. In 2021 he spent most of his time in LF but surprisingly his numbers were averageish there too.

But Arcia's defense at SS specifically has been in decline for a while. When he first came up he was a good SS. His 2017 and 2018 numbers were good but he fell off in 2019. His numbers have never really recovered at SS with average defense being his ceiling. Statcast has him a little below average this year. I expected worse but it's still early.

I'll also say, Arcia doesn't do great on the eye test either. Over his time here he's looked very mediocre at SS.

I do think the Braves love for Arcia is overstated. They were trying hard to shift Grissom to SS in the offseason and talked that up. Not something you do if you love a guy. Also, they've kept Arcia buried in the 9th spot. So I don't think the Braves are big believers in his hot start.
    Harris was in the 9th hole when he was hot last year. Only hitting leadoff to spell Ronnie IIRC. How many times did we hear Chip say having Harris bat 9th with Ronnie 1st is having two lead off hitters?
    Forever Fredi

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,494 Posts
    According to FG, just for ****s and giggles I looked up MLB WAR by teams.

Braves 35.7 (best in baseball ahead of the Blue Jays)
    Mets 32.8
    Phillies 29.6
    Marlins 24.2

That takes into account every position, starting pitchers, and relief pitchers
    Get off my lawn!

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    SS is not a place to spend resources for this current incarnation of the Braves. I realize there are folks who are unwilling to walk back statements about how bad Arcia is, or how great Grissom would be, but the fact of the matter is a ~2 win SS making pocket change is a perfectly fine solution for a championship caliber team.

It should surprise nobody that the worst positions on the field are CF (injured Harris), LF and DH (bad players)...maybe focus there.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 05-17-2023 at 06:31 PM.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,494 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    SS is not a place to spend resources for this current incarnation of the Braves. I realize there are folks who are unwilling to walk back statements about how bad Arcia is, or how great Grissom would be, but the fact of the matter is a ~2 win SS making pocket change is a perfectly fine solution for a championship caliber team.

It should surprise nobody that the worst positions on the field are CF (injured Harris), LF and DH (bad players)...maybe focus there.
    Those are areas of concern, but I feel like the most pressing concern is the rotation. With only 3 main starters, we are putting a ton of stress on the bullpen and it has been showing.
    Get off my lawn!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,052 Posts
    You upgrade based on what's available. That being said, SS is thin in the league.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    SP is the obvious hole right now. You get another SP and the bullpen will have less stress on it. With 2 good hitting catchers we can live with 1 of them at DH so LF is the obvious hole and Rosario and Ozuna have showed signs of life.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts

Plenty of guys struggle learning a new position. Did you bother seeing why his defensive ratings were mediocre at 2b? Was it lack of range? Poor defensive alignment? Lack of assists?

So far, statistically he's back to being the roughly average defensive SS he was in 2020. And the eye test matches what the stats suggest as well. Just admit you were wrong and move on.