Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: GDT 5/15/23: Braves @ Rangers

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Let's dig up all the posts confidently claiming Grissom was clearly better than Arcia. Then let's find the ones where folks thought Shew was an actual option at SS.
    Next time he goes 0-4 it will be proof any other option would have been better and that AA should have used the Murphy package to get the similarly impactful mythically available SS on the trade market.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    If Ozuna continues to improve could that make TDA a trade chip? Not my best idea but Braves do need to address the rotation quickly.

Swallowed by Mark Bowman
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,279 Posts
    In the "credit where it's due" department, just about every player and decision I whined about in spring training (Ozuna, Arcia, Murphy and Morton to an extent) is at least playing and working out reasonably well.
    Last edited by MadduxFanII; 05-16-2023 at 10:19 AM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MadduxFanII For This Useful Post:

Mrs. Meta (05-16-2023)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Don’t think you can trade TDA. The clubhouse Laidership is too strong and he can be used to make him very valuable. Unless someone totally blows you away, which they won’t.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,369 Posts
    Let's dig up all the posts confidently claiming Grissom was clearly better than Arcia. Then let's find the ones where folks thought Shew was an actual option at SS.
    2 problems with this..

Arcia has not had an WRC over 100 but once and that was barely. This year he is hitting fewer FB but they are homers 20+% of the time which is career high. He is sporting close to a 400 babip.. If his line drive and EV's stay up like this then he will be an ok hitter once things normalize.. but no one, not one person could have predicted him being a plus hitter. You, yourself said he was average fill in that AA got to hedge against Swanson leaving. So you yourself didn't expect him to be this good early on...

2nd.. Grissom being this bad defensively. Sure we all questioned arm and range/foot work.. but he can't catch either.. he looked like a drunk softball player playing for his used car dealership on tuesday nights.

I am always for the kids getting shots over carerr players who established themselves as who they are. Pilar/Arcia/Rosey were all guys I was not excited for.. So far Pilar and Arcia seemed to have somehow changed their strips while I got to witness the disaster that Grissom was at SS. I have no comment on Shew, because he hasn't had a chance yet and right now just biding his time in AAA... what type of player he will be is still unknown, because if Arcia can somehow become something at 28/29, then who knows with Shew.
    Coppy

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,369 Posts
    Anyone who would want TDA wouldn't want to part with pitching to get him. 2 playoff teams making trades is very rare thing and I don't see a non playoff team wanting him.
    Coppy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    TDA is a rising FA IIRC. Leadership was a quality asset of FF's and Dansby but they are now gone. Whatever a trade for TDA would return is not the biggest issue. It would free up money and roster space.
    Dont forget the CBA tax issue. Every blogger on earth is ranting about a Giolito trade. My question would be how and why.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,862 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PawPawMaxwell View Post
    TDA is a rising FA IIRC. Leadership was a quality asset of FF's and Dansby but they are now gone. Whatever a trade for TDA would return is not the biggest issue. It would free up money and roster space.
    Dont forget the CBA tax issue. Every blogger on earth is ranting about a Giolito trade. My question would be how and why.
    Why would we not want Giolito?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    527 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Why would we not want Giolito?
    Do we even have the pieces to acquire him? We could easily be outbid by any other team with a stronger farm system.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to NYCBrave For This Useful Post:

PawPawMaxwell (05-16-2023)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,862 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBrave View Post
    Do we even have the pieces to acquire him? We could easily be outbid by any other team with a stronger farm system.
    Hard to say. He's not going to cost much since he's a rental.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,492 Posts
    There's actually an $8 million option on TDA this offseason. If he doesn't fall off a cliff the rest of the year, I'd think we exercise that option. It's clear AA, Snit and company love him.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Anybody patting themselves on the back for Arcia...hmmm. I'll leave that thought to myself, but he's been good. I don't think he still would have been my long term answer, but nor did I think Grissom was that dude. Shew...well...i don't know who pined for him. He is what we thought he was. Fact is, I can live with this version of Arcia.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,703 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Deester11 View Post
    Anybody patting themselves on the back for Arcia...hmmm. I'll leave that thought to myself, but he's been good. I don't think he still would have been my long term answer, but nor did I think Grissom was that dude. Shew...well...i don't know who pined for him. He is what we thought he was. Fact is, I can live with this version of Arcia.
    I wanted shewmake once I saw Grissom's defense. I can live with Grissom starting a game at ss, but I never wanna see him there full time again. Shewmake playing solid defense and not hitting a lick would make the braves better than Grissom playing ss full time. Neither obviously are the option Arcia is

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ9 View Post
    There's actually an $8 million option on TDA this offseason. If he doesn't fall off a cliff the rest of the year, I'd think we exe(Nor mine)rcise that option. It's clear AA, Snit and company love him.
    CBA> CBA> A back up catcher for $8M is a bit much dont you think.. Oh wait......Hell It aint your money. J/K

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    Might as well go ahead and commit suicide. As I see it we only have 3 viable trade chips and 2 of them wont insure anything. The only part that I see that would get viable rotation help (not rentals) is Ozzie. Ozzie by virtue of his contract and production would possibly fill every void left on the team. I AM NOT ADVOCATING A TRADE OF OZZIE. Hold your fire. But for discussion, what would be a possible package for Ozzie?
    Grissom: Since he can keep a foot in the door do/should we expect a contributing piece in return.
    TDA I covered my opinions above.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,051 Posts
    Our real problem is we don't have a great option at short. Arcia is going to fall back to earth hard. There's no way he's a .900 OPS hitter and it's highly unlikely he's an .800 OPS hitter. His career high OPS coming into this year was .734 and his career OPS sits at .674.

One thing I'm actually shocked about is that Arcia has played league average defense so far. His defense has been trending downward for years. I suspect he'll end the season as a below average defender.

So unless Arcia started taking something, we should probably expect him to hit one of his prolonged slumps at some point and end the year with a .750ish OPS (if we're lucky). Getting that out of a SS with mediocre defense isn't exactly anything to write home about.

Yes Grissom has disappointed and while Shewmake can pick it at SS he's a disaster at the plate. But those facts don't make Arcia someone we should be content with as our SS. We need to ride his hot streak while it lasts yet with always an eye on potential improvement.

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    220 Posts
    The best option for a decent hitting Ozuna is trading him at the deadline and eating most of the money. He is extraneous even if he is hitting. AA has systematically built the team to swallow up Ozuna's place on it.

Meanwhile, Albies contract is so good that he's probably worth an overall top-10 prospect. It's almost impossible to trade him from that standpoint.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Arcia as a 2 WAR player is completely fine for this team. Not every position has to be “ideal” especially when the market is thin on those players. There was no one to trade for and those big contracts will be bad. Arcia is perfectly fine, as many said, but some still refuse to accept for some weird reason.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    If Ozuna continues to improve could that make TDA a trade chip? Not my best idea but Braves do need to address the rotation quickly.

Probably not. The depth behind Murphy and TDA is nil.

As a side note, our old friend Bill is leading the world in runners thrown out. It really sucks to have lost him, even if Murphy is better.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,703 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    Probably not. The depth behind Murphy and TDA is nil.

As a side note, our old friend Bill is leading the world in runners thrown out. It really sucks to have lost him, even if Murphy is better.
    I think it's becoming obvious our running game issue was pitcher related