Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910
Results 181 to 192 of 192

Thread: Braves Sign Teheran to 6 year extension

  1. #181
    Called Up to the Major Leagues NYCBrave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    1,845
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    890
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    343
    Thanked in
    227 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Thought this was a great stat:

    Tehearns strikeout to walk ratio of 3.78 to 1 last season ranked as the ninth-best season among those who qualified for the ERA title at age 22 or younger in baseball’s live ball era (since 1920).
    Wow, thanks for sharing. That's pretty impressive.

  2. #182
    Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    1,059
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    2
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    234
    Thanked in
    154 Posts
    If Homer Bailey gets his 6 years 100 million that's be tossed around then Teheran is way worth this contract.

  3. #183
    It's OVER 5,000! cajunrevenge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    uranus
    Posts
    12,254
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    3,279
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    2,754
    Thanked in
    1,806 Posts
    Bailey is one year from free agency and Teheran is 5. Players with less service time give a discount for guaranteed money.

  4. #184
    BBQ Lead Hostess BRule's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    4,015
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    206
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    426
    Thanked in
    282 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Orphan Black View Post
    If Homer Bailey gets his 6 years 100 million that's be tossed around then Teheran is way worth this contract.
    The 2 aren't similar situations.... at all.
    The Atlanta Braves signed Nick Markakis for 4/45 - Never forget 12/3/2014

    "Klay Thompson > James Harden" - Heyward

    "Chris Bosh is the MVP of the Miami Heat" - Heyward

    "Hibbert is better than Dwight Howard"- Heyward


    "Steven Adams will be a top 10 center in two years - thethe

  5. #185
    Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    1,059
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    2
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    234
    Thanked in
    154 Posts
    Why does service time matter? What you're are saying is that if two pitchers can put up similar numbers the pitcher with less time til free agency should get substantially more money...where's the logic in that?

    I didn't say they were similar situations. I just said that if Bailey can get 6 years 100 million right now, Teheran is way worth this contract.

  6. #186
    Sabermetric Slut
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Your Mom's Basement
    Posts
    17,744
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,039
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    5,033
    Thanked in
    3,244 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Orphan Black View Post
    Why does service time matter? What you're are saying is that if two pitchers can put up similar numbers the pitcher with less time til free agency should get substantially more money...where's the logic in that?

    I didn't say they were similar situations. I just said that if Bailey can get 6 years 100 million right now, Teheran is way worth this contract.

    Because someone as far away from free agency like Teheran has their prices limited pretty hard. If we just went with JT from year to year then he would be forced to make league minimum these next two years. And then he would go to arbitration and likely make 5 million. Then that would price go up somewhat in his second arbitration year and then even more in his 3rd and final arbitration year before free agency. Why pay JT market value of 15-18 million a year when there is no way he's going to make more then league minimum the next two years if he didn't sign a deal? That's why deals for guys like JT are smaller in value. If JT was a year or two away from FA he would not be signing for 6/32.

  7. #187
    Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    1,059
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    2
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    234
    Thanked in
    154 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Because someone as far away from free agency like Teheran has their prices limited pretty hard. If we just went with JT from year to year then he would be forced to make league minimum these next two years. And then he would go to arbitration and likely make 5 million. Then that would price go up somewhat in his second arbitration year and then even more in his 3rd and final arbitration year before free agency. Why pay JT market value of 15-18 million a year when there is no way he's going to make more then league minimum the next two years if he didn't sign a deal? That's why deals for guys like JT are smaller in value. If JT was a year or two away from FA he would not be signing for 6/32.
    Ummm...they didn't pay JT market value of 15-18 mil...that was my point.

  8. #188
    It's OVER 5,000! yeezus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    8,108
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,501
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1,720
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Orphan Black View Post
    Ummm...they didn't pay JT market value of 15-18 mil...that was my point.
    I think you're saying that from a pure value standpoint, Teheran is a much bigger bargain. I agree with you 100%, but that's to be expected because he doesn't have the service time. Still a bargain, though.

  9. #189
    Sabermetric Slut
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Your Mom's Basement
    Posts
    17,744
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,039
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    5,033
    Thanked in
    3,244 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Orphan Black View Post
    Ummm...they didn't pay JT market value of 15-18 mil...that was my point.
    Because he is 5 years from free agency. And I explained to you why. You are the one who said you don't see the logic in someone closer to FA getting more money.

  10. #190
    Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    1,059
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    2
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    234
    Thanked in
    154 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Because he is 5 years from free agency. And I explained to you why. You are the one who said you don't see the logic in someone closer to FA getting more money.
    That's because it wasn't logic...it is something that is done because that's how it has always been done, but I think the Braves are showing they are willing to go against what has been done in the past (which made no sense) to try and keep the team competitive. That means taking on a little more risk by signing their players with less service time for relatively below market value of their projected production.

  11. #191
    Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    9,511
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    28,964
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    5,573
    Thanked in
    3,261 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Orphan Black View Post
    That's because it wasn't logic.
    But there is a very clear logic, and this is it: A player, under most normal circumstances, must play six years to reach free-agent status; as said player approaches free-agent status, he has thus played more seasons, providing more data about the productive quality of said player. This qualitative data is quantified by the team hoping to contractually extend said player, in terms of dollars as well as years, and with more robust qualitative data comes more certainty comes more dollars and years.

    Players nearer their first free-agency being paid more than players farther from it isn't just some strange convention rooted in the perfunctory ignorance of the past; there's a fairly transparent cost/benefit reasoning at play.
    Last edited by jpx7; 02-20-2014 at 11:56 AM.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

  12. #192
    Sabermetric Slut
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Your Mom's Basement
    Posts
    17,744
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,039
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    5,033
    Thanked in
    3,244 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Orphan Black View Post
    That's because it wasn't logic...it is something that is done because that's how it has always been done, but I think the Braves are showing they are willing to go against what has been done in the past (which made no sense) to try and keep the team competitive. That means taking on a little more risk by signing their players with less service time for relatively below market value of their projected production.
    Actually that happens all the time. Players a few years away from free agency will sign for under market value for guaranteed money.

Similar Threads

  1. Flowers, Braves agree to one-year extension
    By UNCBlue012 in forum The 2019 Chronicles: The Free Men of the Golden Wren Era Take the Neck's Step.
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 08-29-2018, 07:03 PM
  2. Cervelli signs three-year extension with Pittsburgh
    By CJ9 in forum The 2019 Chronicles: The Free Men of the Golden Wren Era Take the Neck's Step.
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 05-18-2016, 11:17 AM
  3. Braves agree to 3-year extension with Chris Johnson
    By tvsportscaster in forum 2014 Legendary
    Replies: 132
    Last Post: 05-03-2014, 08:25 AM
  4. Simmons signed to 7 year extension
    By Tapate50 in forum 2014 Legendary
    Replies: 189
    Last Post: 03-03-2014, 02:56 PM
  5. Kimbrel signs 4 year extension with a club option for fifth year
    By CrimsonCowboy in forum 2014 Legendary
    Replies: 180
    Last Post: 02-19-2014, 02:38 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •