Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: GDT 5/23 STRIDER: I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post
    Again, if Freddie Freeman wanted to be a Brave, he’d still be a Brave.

The problem isn’t losing Freeman. The problem is, or will be, signing Olson into his late 30’s. And many on this board said as much the day he signed.
    I think its a big problem we played cute with one of the top 10 players in franchise history because a model said he wouldn't age well (which will be wrong).
    Natural Immunity Croc

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    314 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PawPawMaxwell View Post
    does any fan site poster really know what/who said during the negotiations with FF? IMO FF's commitment to family, remember Charlie is getting ready for school for a much longer period of time than the LA or Atlanta contract. The Orange County mansion, aging parents and Charlie convince me that FF really wanted to be "Home" in LA area.
    If had not acted the way he did last year during the two series last year I might buy that. But I give the man the benefit of the doubt those tears were genuine and the body language backed it up. There is no way he wanted to leave.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    What does Olson look like in a two years as his swing speed slows and he starts whiffing even more?

I think the trendlines we have seen the last two years would make a reasonable person assume that Olson becomes a negative before Freeman does.
    Olson is streaky. He always has been. Look at the way he ended last year, or the way he began this year.

It would be nice to have the consistency of Freeman. If Freddie would have signed the better deal offered then Olson wouldn't be an issue for us.

I believe there is something to the talk that the agent played a game of chicken with Freddie's negotiations. But ultimately the agent works for the player and not the other way around.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    I think its a big problem we played cute with one of the top 10 players in franchise history because a model said he wouldn't age well (which will be wrong).
    I don't think we played cute. His agents thought they had all the leverage and overplayed their hand.

I wish FF had communicated to AA directly or been more forceful with his agents. I still think AA would have signed him to the Dodger deal.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,513 Posts
    The only one who played games were Freeman and his agent. How do you not understand this yet?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    The only one who played games were Freeman and his agent. How do you not understand this yet?
    How do any of us know this one way or the other.

We tried to get him at the most 'efficient' contract as possible. There are players that you just shouldn't do that with and Freeman was one of them.
    Natural Immunity Croc

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    How do any of us know this one way or the other.

We tried to get him at the most 'efficient' contract as possible. There are players that you just shouldn't do that with and Freeman was one of them.
    Crying about Freddie won't bring him back. Chipper said it best, if he wanted to be a Brave, he would be a Brave. He owns some culpability in his decision. I think Olson will be ok..but it's neigh a point in comparing the two. Freddie is just better.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    I believe this.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,701 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    I don't think we played cute. His agents thought they had all the leverage and overplayed their hand.

I wish FF had communicated to AA directly or been more forceful with his agents. I still think AA would have signed him to the Dodger deal.
    Looks like we overplayed our hand to me. Olson on an 8-year contract and assets to get him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Deester11 View Post
    Crying about Freddie won't bring him back. Chipper said it best, if he wanted to be a Brave, he would be a Brave. He owns some culpability in his decision. I think Olson will be ok..but it's neigh a point in comparing the two. Freddie is just better.
    If I were the face of the franchise that just helped the team win a world series (AND NEVER ASKED OUT WHEN THEY SUCKED) I would be pretty insulted that there was talk of "What about the end of the contract".

This is one of the top 10 players in franchise history. Just give him the ****ing deal and DEAL with the fact the outyears won't be super efficient.
    Natural Immunity Croc

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Looks like we overplayed our hand to me. Olson on an 8-year contract and assets to get him.
    Hmm...I hated giving up so much, understood it, but the prospect end is a wash AT THE MOMENT. Cusick is 2-1, 1.64 ERA 33INN/30K'S. Estes (I liked a lot) is 1-3, 4.24 ERA 34INN/30K'S. Shea is batting.213 with 7 hr's 21 RBI..687OPS.

The money is one thing, losing Freddie is one thing and the prospects another. Olsons cold stretches are brutal, but his hot stretches are great. I think he'll live up to the prospect and money part. The Freddie part...nope. But I think he'll be ok being Olson. At least I hope so.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    If I were the face of the franchise that just helped the team win a world series (AND NEVER ASKED OUT WHEN THEY SUCKED) I would be pretty insulted that there was talk of "What about the end of the contract".

This is one of the top 10 players in franchise history. Just give him the ****ing deal and DEAL with the fact the outyears won't be super efficient.
    How the F did they insult him by offering him a comparable deal sans a year?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    How the F did they insult him by offering him a comparable deal sans a year?
    Organization should have ran to lock Freeman up for his whole career.

I don't care at all what we would have paid in him in years 8-10. We had our window NOW.

Not giving him the years he wanted is an insult to an all time franchise guy.
    Natural Immunity Croc

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Organization should have ran to lock Freeman up for his whole career.

I don't care at all what we would have paid in him in years 8-10. We had our window NOW.

Not giving him the years he wanted is an insult to an all time franchise guy.
    I don't necessarily disagree but I think he still owns some culpability in the direction of where he wanted to be.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,364 Posts
    I mean if FF wanted to be a Brave then he would be a Brave..

also, if The Braves wanted FF to be a Brave then he would be a Brave...

There is 2 sides and niether did their part well enough to keep a superior player.
    Coppy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    I don't necessarily disagree but I think he still owns some culpability in the direction of where he wanted to be.
    Freddie wasn't perfect in this process for sure but I honeslty believe that AA got too cute with 'efficiency' scenarios. Sometimes you have to throw away all you know is 'wrong' for something like this.

AA has been a fantastic GM but there will always be a massive 'What If' associated with his tenure if the Braves don't win another world series with this group. Even if he just wins 1 more then nobody will say a thing. However, if the Braves can't find a way to get one more I don't think he is going to be remembered favorably in Braves history.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Y’all still whining about Freeman? Lolol. Get over it bc Olson is here for 6 more years after this one and he’ll be 35 years old that’s middle 30’s not late 30’s like somebody else said. FF is a lot more consistent and Olson is streaky he always has been. He’s still a top 5 1b in baseball at 22 million a year.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Freddie wasn't perfect in this process for sure but I honeslty believe that AA got too cute with 'efficiency' scenarios. Sometimes you have to throw away all you know is 'wrong' for something like this.

AA has been a fantastic GM but there will always be a massive 'What If' associated with his tenure if the Braves don't win another world series with this group. Even if he just wins 1 more then nobody will say a thing. However, if the Braves can't find a way to get one more I don't think he is going to be remembered favorably in Braves history.
    Having FF instead of Olson doesn’t guarantee you another WS lol.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,701 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    Having FF instead of Olson doesn’t guarantee you another WS lol.
    Maybe not guarantee it, but FF's 7.1 fWAR last season makes that team much better

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,701 Posts
    If FF were hitting 2nd in Atlanta, the top 3 NL guys in xwoba would be hitting 1-2-3....

Acuna is #1
    Murphy is #2
    FF is #3

Olson isn't bad, #18