Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Paxton

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    more of a " what if" comment.
    Texas would look awfully different today had Paxton sent out those ballots.

you can look it up

//////

makes me wonder had DeSantis not had the cover of Abbot would he have been so foolishly brazen
    Will never know

https://twitter.com/TheUSASingers/st...59012804366341
    Last edited by 57Brave; 05-30-2023 at 05:46 PM.
    The best way to stop a bad guy with a gun is to make sure he doesn’t get a gun.

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,787 Posts
    Lol and yell make fun of thethe

Hey when is Guilium getting reinstated. Last you commented was "stay tuned"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    The conversation is about Texas
    Not me focus Grasshopper

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    It sounds like a new Netflix series. There are allegations of illicit affairs, fraud, corruption, payoffs and abuse of office, all surrounding a powerful statewide elected official. But it isn’t fiction. It’s the alleged scandal surrounding Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton, impeached Saturday by the state House of Representatives in a 121-23 vote, with 71% of Mr. Paxton’s fellow Republicans saying aye. The state Senate will try his case this summer.

He was pursued by an unlikely collection of do-gooders straight from a TV script. Their leader, Rep. Andy Murr, sports a handlebar mustache out of the 1870s. His teammates range from a wicked smart female prosecutor (Rep. Ann Johnson) to an aw-shucks nonlawyer with a brilliant legal mind (Rep. Charlie Geren) to two small-town attorneys with ability and attitude (Reps. David Spiller and Oscar Longoria).

Mr. Paxton faces sordid charges. The House Committee on General Investigating alleges that the attorney general had an affair with a state senator’s district director. When the senator discovered the affair, she fired her staffer, believing it bad form for her to be sleeping with the husband of the senator’s colleague, state Sen. Angela Paxton. Mr. Paxton then allegedly arranged for his mistress to be hired by a real-estate developer, Nate Paul, a controversial businessman with a history of bankruptcies and lawsuits. Investigators allege Mr. Paul may also have paid for renovations to Mr. Paxton’s home.

The investigating committee argues these actions gave Mr. Paul leverage to get the attorney general to use his office on Mr. Paul’s behalf in business disputes, leading to Mr. Paxton’s alleged violations of state law.

The first involved a charity’s lawsuits against Mr. Paul. First, the charity sued when Mr. Paul refused to open his books on commercial properties that the nonprofit had invested in with him. The suit was settled in mediation, with Mr. Paul agreeing to buy out the charity for $10.5 million. He failed to pay, so the charity sued again. Over the strenuous opposition of senior advisers, the attorney general directed his office’s Charitable Trust Division to intervene for Mr. Paul by pressuring the charity to accept less than half the amount it had won in mediation. The charity refused, went to court, and eventually won $21 million from a forced sale of the properties.

The committee also alleges Mr. Paxton tried to stop unrelated forced sales of Mr. Paul’s properties. Late on Friday, July 31, 2020, Mr. Paxton told a senior staffer to research whether in-person foreclosure sales held on courthouse steps violated Covid restrictions, with the aim of getting out an opinion by the end of the weekend. Though the senior staffer tasked with drafting the opinion told Mr. Paxton these didn’t violate Covid rules, the attorney general insisted they did and between 1 a.m. and 2 a.m. on Sunday, Aug. 2, his office issued an opinion saying so.

This was highly unusual. Such opinions require a written request from outside the attorney general’s office: Mr. Paxton provided a phone number for the supposed requester to the senior staffer who researched the matter, but when the staffer called, that person “was completely unfamiliar with the matter,” according to committee investigators. The opinion’s speedy release was also unusual. It normally takes 180 days, not 30-some hours. In this case, alacrity was helpful for Mr. Paul; his attorneys tried to use the opinion to stop foreclosures on a dozen or more properties.

The committee also alleges Mr. Paxton provided Mr. Paul an unredacted copy of a search warrant executed on Mr. Paul by the Federal Bureau of Investigation in August 2019. Mr. Paul apparently wanted to know what the feds knew and from whom they had learned it. Mr. Paxton allegedly rejected advice from senior aides to leave the issue alone and three times tried to force the warrant’s release to Mr. Paul, according to investigators. He failed. After obtaining a copy of the unredacted warrant in his official capacity, in the summer of 2020 he asked an aide to deliver to Mr. Paul “a manila envelope containing several sheets of paper,” according to investigators. After that, Mr. Paul’s lawyer stopped asking for the warrant.

Then the show stopper: The committee alleges Mr. Paxton circumvented law and longstanding procedures to hire an outside attorney recommended by Mr. Paul. Styling himself a “special prosecutor,” a nonexistent title in Texas, Brandon Cammack issued grand-jury subpoenas for banks and individuals involved in civil disputes with Mr. Paul and law-enforcement officials involved in the federal investigation of him, including the magistrate who authorized the search. A state judge subsequently quashed the subpoenas. Seven senior aides to Mr. Paxton reported this to the FBI. Mr. Paxton then fired the whistleblowers who hadn’t already resigned, allegedly violating another state law.

Mr. Paxon denies wrongdoing, insisting he’s the victim of an “illegal, unethical and profoundly unjust” process.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/viewers...pos_4#cxrecs_s
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,734 Posts
    Little thethe seems to have taken a vacation now that Ken Paxton has admitted to rigging the vote in Texas for Trump.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Nate Paul, a real estate investor and close associate of impeached Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton, has been charged with eight felony counts of financial crimes.

The 23-page federal indictment accuses Paul of making false statements to mortgage lenders and credit unions to secure business loans. The court filing indicates the alleged financial crimes occurred in 2017 and 2018.

His relationship with Paxton is a key focus of impeachment articles brought against the embattled attorney general last month, CNN has reported.

Paul’s attorney, Gerry Morris, declined to comment on the charges to CNN.

Paxton, who is also facing an FBI investigation, is not named in the indictment unsealed Friday morning.

“The charges against Paul evidently have nothing to do with Attorney General Ken Paxton. Nothing whatsoever. That should speak volumes as to how weak this impeachment effort is,” said Tony Buzbee, who is representing Paxton in the impeachment.

However, another of Paxton’s attorneys, Dan Cogdell, told the Dallas Morning News the criminal charges filed against Paul could be part of a strategy to get the real estate developer at the center of the impeachment case against Paxton to testify against the attorney general.

“You don’t have to be Nostradamus to assume that they’re going to try to flip Nate Paul to testify against Ken [Paxton]. I don’t know that for a fact. But I’d be very surprised if that wasn’t the case,” Cogdell told the newspaper.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/06/09/polit...xas/index.html

"I am your retribution."

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    Great actor. Very underrated. Sorely missed.
    Underrated bit character in “True Lies”
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 57Brave View Post
    The conversation is about Texas
    Not me focus Grasshopper
    Some people CAN walk and chew gum
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    From Ben Wallace of the Houston Chronicle:

We may never know if State Sen. Angela Paxton is more Tammy Wynette or Carrie Underwood.

The Texas Senate voted to bar Paxton from having a say in the impeachment trial of her husband Ken Paxton at his trial, which starts Sept. 5.

If allowed to vote with the other 30 Texas Senators, many wondered if she’d have a conflict of interest in a Tammy Wynette “Stand By Your Man” kind of way, as my Texas Take podcast partner Scott Braddock put it this week, or in a Carrie Underwood “Before He Cheats” way, given an alleged affair that has become a key component of the impeachment proceedings.

It was just on Monday I reported that Paxton announced she would be present from the trial but didn’t quite say if she’d recuse herself from the vote. Well, the Senate decided for her.

We also learned Senators were unanimous in ordering Ken Paxton to appear before them in person for the trial, though they didn’t outline penalties if he doesn’t comply. Ken Paxton’s attorneys did not immediately respond to a request for comment, nor did lead prosecuting attorneys.

He has denied all wrongdoing and cast the trial as politically motivated, rushed and unfair.

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,734 Posts
    The idea of an impartial jury in an impeachment trial is ridiculous to begin with. If everyone with biased recused themselves there would be no one left to vote.

It’s over."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    A Ken Paxton guilty verdict would only heighten the feeling of retribution and justice against corrupt public officials that is in the air.
    FFF - BB, BB, 2B, HR, 2B, HR, 1B, BB, BB, 1B, BB, BB, HR

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Runnin View Post
    A Ken Paxton guilty verdict would only heighten the feeling of retribution and justice against corrupt public officials that is in the air.
    Mostly on the eGOP side. This is all the bushes and Rove types that are pushing Paxton out the door. It’s disgusting but squishy people on the right won’t realize until it’s too late. The pull “MAGA” has on these weak ass eGOPers is pathetic and the left uses it brilliantly.
    Last edited by thethe; 09-04-2023 at 06:58 AM.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    eh...Paxton is a crook

and the Republican members of the Texas House of Representatives who voted to impeach him are to be commended

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    eh...Paxton is a crook

and the Republican members of the Texas House of Representatives who voted to impeach him are to be commended
    Sure sure - led by the bush apparatus that is enraged they lost a chance for their prized political lineage to continue on to an eventual presidency.

Stop pretending it’s anything other than that. Paxton is no different than any of the other AGs in the country. He just refuses to bow down to the new world order.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    The big question now is in the new age of weaponized lawfare do the people of this country have a choice in who leads them?

I can see many obviously think the answer to that question is no.
    Last edited by thethe; 09-04-2023 at 07:59 AM.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    dude committed crimes and abused his office...law and order and all that jazz

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,734 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    The big question now is in the new age of weaponized lawfare do the people of this country have a choice in who leads them?

I can see many obviously think the answer to that question is no.

Your boy tried to take that away from people. Majority of voters didnt even want him in the first place.

It’s over."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    Your boy tried to take that away from people. Majority of voters didnt even want him in the first place.
    I think there is an unspoken subtext to maga's support for Paxton. Which is it that his impeachment does strike a blow for accountability for officials who have abused their office. The dots are not too hard to connect.

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    dude committed crimes and abused his office...law and order and all that jazz
    Yeah the people of Texas are unconvinced.

If he didn’t fight the 2020 election we wouldn’t be here and you know it.

Keep pretending it’s about some event from the 2010s.
    Natural Immunity Croc