Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: GDT 5/28/23: Braves vs Philthies - Putting it on the line

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    612 Posts
    I concur on sitting Murph regularly- especially when Marcel is having the month he’s having.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hulavol View Post
    I concur on sitting Murph regularly- especially when Marcel is having the month he’s having.
    It's a good problem to find when you have too many bats that are producing to fit into the lineup. The problem is that we don't have the versatility to give other guys an occasional day off. For instance, we don't have anyone that can spell Riley or Olson for a day off their feet, even if it is just to DH for the day. I wouldn't mind seeing Harris getting a mental day off soon. Acuna could use a day off his feet and go in as DH.
    Get off my lawn!

Prosecutor of the
    International Criminal Court

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    83 Posts
    Funny I literally don't have a single post complaining about other guys not being rested, albeit I do agree with others that Snit is horrendous at it. Case and point, no reason Acuna shouldn't get a single day off to continue to at least monitor over working him.

The Murphy one is different. We don't need to overwork him, the concern is that out of respect to TD, snit is playing Murphy like a part-time player as opposed to an all star. He is an elite player this year so it costs us valuable wins if he literally sits 1 out of every 3 games. Not suggesting he needs to play a 150 rate, but at least more than a 110 games played rate. Especially with the DH.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AJonesATL View Post
    Funny I literally don't have a single post complaining about other guys not being rested, albeit I do agree with others that Snit is horrendous at it. Case and point, no reason Acuna shouldn't get a single day off to continue to at least monitor over working him.

The Murphy one is different. We don't need to overwork him, the concern is that out of respect to TD, snit is playing Murphy like a part-time player as opposed to an all star. He is an elite player this year so it costs us valuable wins if he literally sits 1 out of every 3 games. Not suggesting he needs to play a 150 rate, but at least more than a 110 games played rate. Especially with the DH.
    Currently, Murph is the better hitter and the better defender, he should get a lions share of the games behind the dish. I think the reason TdA isn't getting a ton of DH appearances is a mixture of Ozunas hot bat and inability to play defense and no third catcher to guard against injury are main reasons.
    Get off my lawn!

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,288 Posts
    Olson had a tremendous April (driven by an unsustainable BABIP and FB/HR) but there was a concern with his strikeout rate. While his overall numbers are down in May, his underlying metrics are improved across the board

April vs May
    .252/.369/.563 vs .219/.350/.510
    BABIP: .346 vs .213
    K %: 35% vs 23%
    Sw Strike %: 15.4% vs 13%
    B% 14.8% vs 16.2%
    EV: 95.2 vs 95.0

With how hard Olson hits the ball and plate discipline, keeping the k rate below 25% seems like the break even point for him to be a top 5 1B.
    Last edited by chop2chip; 05-29-2023 at 02:51 PM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to chop2chip For This Useful Post:

Super (05-29-2023)

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    I’m actually in full support of resting Murphy frequently, especially with the production Ozuna gives us at DH and TDA being an above average catcher. I wish Snitker would make more efforts to rest our other star players.
    Yeah, i'm cool with resting Murphy. But do wish Snit would give Acuna, Olson, Riley, Albies more days off so they arent burnt out.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    612 Posts
    Hopefully we can pound Oakland into oblivion early in each game and let Charlie play first and third and Hilliard and Pilar cover the OF - ideally in the fourth inning each night.
    Never happen, I know.

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hulavol View Post
    Hopefully we can pound Oakland into oblivion early in each game and let Charlie play first and third and Hilliard and Pilar cover the OF - ideally in the fourth inning each night.
    Never happen, I know.
    I'm expecting to drop a game to them, baseball is stupid like that.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    487 Posts
    I suspect that the usage pattern for Murphy has been thoroughly discussed by Murphy and Snit, and Murphy has had some significant input. I believe that they are in agreement on the need for rest, and further, that when Ozuna cools off, as he will, that Murphy and d’Arnaud will both see significant AB’s at DH.

Snit is not beloved by the players because he makes unpopular decisions without their input.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    531 Posts
    The Braves' broadcast kept alluding to tough part of the schedule being done, but it's not quite over yet outside of the next 3 games.

Just in the next 12 days, the Braves will see:
    Merrill Kelly
    Zac Gallen
    Max Scherzer
    Justin Verlander
    MacKenzie Gore

Atlanta needs to feast when they get to the Washington/Detroit/Colorado/Philadelphia/Cincinnati stretch

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,854 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WaitingFor2017 View Post
    The Braves' broadcast kept alluding to tough part of the schedule being done, but it's not quite over yet outside of the next 3 games.

Merrill Kelly
    Zac Gallen
    Max Scherzer
    Justin Verlander
    MacKenzie Gore

Atlanta needs to feast when they get to the Washington/Detroit/Colorado/Philadelphia/Cincinnati stretch
    Arizona is a good team but the Mets and Nats aren't. Verlander and Scherzer aren't the aces they once were.

It's OVER 5,000! bravesnumberone's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,013 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Arizona is a good team but the Mets and Nats aren't. Verlander and Scherzer aren't the aces they once were.
    They still will dominate Atlanta.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,288 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WaitingFor2017 View Post

Merrill Kelly
    Zac Gallen
    Max Scherzer
    Justin Verlander
    MacKenzie Gore

Dodgers, Orioles, Mets, Phillies, Mariners, and Rangers essentially back to back is brutal. Braves were lucky that they held their head above waters.

God bless Ozuna for leading the team

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,288 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesnumberone View Post
    They still will dominate Atlanta.
    Braves have always hit Scherzer.

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory Mad Dog Murph's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    243 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AJonesATL View Post

Well he’s catching tonight so there you go

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    595 Posts
    If TDA is being used in an ideal fashion he's platooning with Rosario. Let Murphy DH and put Ozuna in LF. Gets everyone plenty of usage and rest.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    I will no longer question the way the Braves handle the catcher position. They have proven beyond all doubt they know exactly how to get value behind the plate.