Thread: Happy Memorial Day

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,364 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    Agree
    I editted that for clarity. 2 seamer and sinker are tech the same pitch.. but I swear he has one that breaks down more and one that was dropping less and cutting back in to righties more. again, maybe I am just mis-remembering a change as his 'sinking' pitch. regardless, I still like the 2 seamer/slider/change combo and not worry about striking out a bunch of guys.
    Coppy

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,033 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Garmel View Post
    Soroka's movement on his pitches wasn't great but not awful. The only thing bad was his extension to the plate. Exit velocity was fantastic. https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/savan...r-pitching-mlb
    Whoa. 1st percentile on extension. And the guy is 6’5”.

So I’m thinking either the Achilles repair impairs his ability to get down the mound or he’s scared to push off and tear it again. Either way, that’s a problem. And probably why he’s spraying it a bit.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GovClintonTyree View Post

So I’m thinking either the Achilles repair impairs his ability to get down the mound or he’s scared to push off and tear it again. Either way, that’s a problem. And probably why he’s spraying it a bit.
    The confidence in his Achilles has to be in the back of his mind. I'm 6 months into mine and I'm afraid of steps now. I can't imagine the mental hurdle of twisting and turning on a mound.

That said, he's gotten this far with rehab from hell. One of you guys said he changed his throwing motion and plant to alleviate the impact on his Achilles. I'm sure the further removed he is from his injuries he can be MOR or 2 guy. Pulling for him for sure.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,991 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GovClintonTyree View Post

I think he's probably scared. Hell, we saw Acuna when he was afraid and uncomfortable using his legs last year. Give it this season, at minimum, for Soroka.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    how does a 4 seamer and 2 seamer get graded with in the same FA categorey. He was throwing a straight 94-95 four seamer and then 92-93 2 seamer with arm side run..

He seams to have a sinker and 2 seamer that look different. maybe I am confusing his slider, but he has a pitch that breaks down and one that breaks arm side. I know they are the same pitch in essence.

Not sure I am a fan of him throwing a 4 seamer really. I like his ability to tunnel his 2 seamer, change and slider.. If he wants to throw a 4 seamer up in the zone on occasion, then that can be there.
    Look at the pitch movement/velocity plots. Very clearly 4 distinct pitches. Some executed better than others.

https://www.fangraphs.com/players/mi...0&dh=0&data=pi

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts
    And I agree that sorokas most likely path for success is to be a sinker/slider/change guy that induces a lot of weak contact on the ground. Ditch the FA.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

Tapate50 (05-30-2023)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,364 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    And I agree that sorokas most likely path for success is to be a sinker/slider/change guy that induces a lot of weak contact on the ground. Ditch the FA.
    yeah, I don't get that, the difference in velo is so minimal that it really doesn't make sense... at least not as many times as he threw it. show it at top of zone if he can bust it in at 95-96.. but maybe 4-8 times a game..
    Coppy

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    The FA was at 93.6 which is just a bit below average velocity for a RHP in 2023. His 7.6" of "rise" is Grade 40, and the 4.1" of run is about Grade 45. This is a bit below average pitch, and while it isn't good it's better than expected. Let's call it "usable".

The SI was 92.6 which is also below average velocity. It has above average sink with just 4.8" of "rise", and an average amount of arm-side run at 8.7". This is an average or better pitch.

The SL at 84.4 is right around average velocity. The -2.0" of horizontal movement is plus or plus-plus, and the 2.6" of glove-side break is average. This is a good downer slider, and if he executes it will be an out pitch.

The CH at 82.6 is 10+ mph slower than the FA/SI, which is plus-plus. It has below average sink, but plus-plus arm-side run. This is his best pitch, and likely why he threw it 23 times last night.

So a useable FA, an average or better SI, and a pair of out pitches in the SL and CH. Depending on command, that's a legit junk-baller MOR guy that verges on a #2 when things are going well..
    Always love when you do these.

This is what I saw from the performance. I was thinking he looks like another guy I'd put in the 4/5 range. I'd be happy with 6 innings and 3 runs. In the playoffs, he'd potentially be a one time through the order middle relief guy.

Maybe next year he has the confidence to let it rip and get gets more into that 3/4 range you said. If he is an average 3, that would be amazing for him and for us.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,322 Posts
    All the reports in AAA talked about how much spin his FA showed. Were they ever wrong.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,513 Posts
    All the reports in AAA talked about how much spin his FA showed. Were they ever wrong.
    The Braves lie a lot. Always have.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to CyYoung31 For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (05-30-2023)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts
    Soroka spun the FA at 2400 last night, which is pretty decent. His arm angle is likely preventing that spin from translating to rise.

Either way, he appears to be a guy who needs to pitch off the breaking stuff, and be careful not to leave fastballs in hittable areas. He doesn't have the juice to lean on heaters.

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,033 Posts
    Looks like he’s right around 2400, which is 300 better than Elder, 100 better than Charlie and equal to Striduh.

No Braves pitcher has a spin rate of any pitch approaching Charlie’s Uncle Charlie (3000).