Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: AJ Smith-Shawver Called Up

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    512 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    I just hope he isn't a junk baller who walks 6 per 9 innings when we actually see him for the first time. we have like 6 of those already.
    Lmao..he's not. But I agree.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    I just hope he isn't a junk baller who walks 6 per 9 innings when we actually see him for the first time. we have like 6 of those already.
    Based on available AAA data, I think he's a hard throwing low spin guy who will get pummeled at the MLB level. Everyone with no clue about pitch data will say cliche things like "he's a thrower, not a pitcher" when his 96 mpg heat gets obliterated.

Only time will tell though.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Based on available AAA data, I think he's a hard throwing low spin guy who will get pummeled at the MLB level. Everyone with no clue about pitch data will say cliche things like "he's a thrower, not a pitcher" when his 96 mpg heat gets obliterated.

Only time will tell though.
    I always think a new pitcher has the initial advantage when coming out of the pen. There is no data to really study so no one will be ready for what he throws.. but that will change after about 10 innings of thethe proclaiming him a future ace.

I too say this with the hopes that he actually has something the minors were hiding. I think it speaks volumes about how bad the pen is if we are turning to him already. I said yesterday AA should be ashamed this is the pen he built and I would say this move says he is... hopefully he will use assets more wisely than he did with the JJ trade.
    Coppy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Did Elder die? if he is replacing Shuster, then why call him today and not when it is his spot to throw? You just created a hole in the pen... you could have called up any quad A reliever to take luca luser's spot until Shusters spot came up. So either Shuster is in the pen or AJ is.
    Can’t believe I left out Elder. Yeah I’d put Shuster in the bp till we see what AJSS has

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    Can’t believe I left out Elder. Yeah I’d put Shuster in the bp till we see what AJSS has
    this might be the plan in the long run. Hoping to catch strider in the bottle 2 years in a row. Let Shuster start once or twice more and if he is sucking, replace him with AJ.
    Coppy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,676 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Odd move. He's at 33 IP this year, so there's no real need to limit innings in the BP.

For his 5/25 start in AAA I see the FA at 91.8-96.9, with that 96.9 coming on his 76th pitch when he was likely emptying the tank in his last inning. The spin rate on it looks to be averaging around 2200. That's mediocre spin on a FA, so I would expect 8" of rise or less (Soroka just spun his at 2400 and has below average rise on a FA that is clearly his worst pitch).

AJ spun the curve at ~2300, the slider/cutter at ~1900. For reference, the average MLB curve spins at 2506, and the average MLB slider/cutter spins at 2401 in 2023. Those are the MLB average...not top end...average.

I have a very hard time believing AJSS comes equipped with a 70 grade FA and a 70 grade breaking ball of any kind with those very mediocre spin rates, but we will see what the MLB statcast data says. FWIW, FG currenty rates them both as 50 with room to grow to 60s. That seems much more in line with what the AAA data shows.
    AA is supposedly a smart guy, so I'm not sure he's rushed this kid up if he doesn't have the arsenal. Color me skeptical of the AAA data

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    Snit said during BP that AJ is gonna be out of the bullpen right now.
    Forever Fredi

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    AA is supposedly a smart guy, so I'm not sure he's rushed this kid up if he doesn't have the arsenal. Color me skeptical of the AAA data
    I certainly hope this is the case.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Bringing up your best arm with the most potential to put him in the bullpen and start his clock is idiotic to me.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    512 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    Bringing up your best arm with the most potential to put him in the bullpen and start his clock is idiotic to me.
    He needs to pitch consistently. I'm just not a fan either and I say that thinking he'll do fine.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Worked out fine with Strider and Fried.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    512 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    Worked out fine with Strider and Fried.
    Yeah..and one guy pitched in college, the other was in the minors for 4 years. Hmmm. I guess that's the same. C'mon Super.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Deester11 View Post
    Yeah..and one guy pitched in college, the other was in the minors for 4 years. Hmmm. I guess that's the same. C'mon Super.
    You didn’t mention age or experience. What i was responding to was a comment about your best arm being brought up and starting his clock. You yourself said you thought he’d do fine lol. So which is it?
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    I mean AA has earned a bit of leeway on this kinda thing. Relax guys.
    Ivermectin Man

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Tapate50 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-02-2023)

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,029 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    I mean AA has earned a bit of leeway on this kinda thing. Relax guys.
    Pretty simple to me. Our bullpen has been...let's call it leaky. (**** might be more accurate.) But most of what will be available for replacement, well, you're shopping in the dented can section of the store. It is hard to find difference makers on the market, especially this early in the season. S-S has the ability to be a difference maker - at least, AA thinks so.

It sure would be nice to have a multi-inning reliever who could pitch to a 2.50 ERA. So let's give the guy a long look.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to GovClintonTyree For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-02-2023)

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    512 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    You didn’t mention age or experience. What i was responding to was a comment about your best arm being brought up and starting his clock. You yourself said you thought he’d do fine lol. So which is it?
    So I can't think he'll do fine but not he could use more time? Ok. So it's clear...strider is not the benchmark for all pitchers. He's what we call an exception. You used two examples that aren't close to AJSS. That said, it's no dig at you. Just my thoughts.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    So I can't think he'll do fine but not he could use more time? Ok. So it's clear...strider is not the benchmark for all pitchers. He's what we call an exception. You used two examples that aren't close to AJSS. That said, it's no dig at you. Just my thoughts.
    My point is the FO has made the right calls in the past with regards to bringing up their best arms and starting their clocks to use in the BP. While yes it’s not a totally equal comparison with the previous two guys, neither Fried nor Strider were throwing particularly great when they got called up. I’ll trust that the FO is making the correct call here if they think AJSS is the best internal option for the BP

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    Allard, Bryce, and Ynoa got similar treatment as well. Not exactly unprecedented what AJS is doing for us under AA.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    512 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    Allard, Bryce, and Ynoa got similar treatment as well. Not exactly unprecedented what AJS is doing for us under AA.
    Yes. Yes it is unprecedented. AJSS has a total of what, 110 innings out of high school. The players you brought up:
    Allard - 442 plus minor league innings.
    Ynoa - 400 plus minor league innings
    Bryce - 135 plus minor league innings (College - 135 innings)

Just so I'm clear. I love and have seen AJSS a lot. I love the guy. For me:
    a. I just wanted him to cook a little longer in the minors in order to avoid the yo-yo effect and to experience adversity. To me, it always helps a player to see how they respond. I also wanted him to be in the rotation when his time came.
    b. I get that the pen is a dumpster fire. What would you have done Deester? Since you're piecing together azz type players for the pen, call up a prospect or veteran who has be in the role. Who you may ask? Grant Holmes, Roddery Munoz, Yacksel Rios, or bring back up Dereck Rodriguez. Danny Young was certainly better than freaking Lucas L...
    c. Didn't AJSS have to be added to the 40? Doesn't matter I guess, but I wouldn't have started his clock until I was sure he was going to pitch consistently. (For those who will say it, Fried was in the pen....yada, yada - 400 minor league innings).
    d. For the AA stans, he certainly knows more than me. Doesn't mean he won't miss. H3ll he's entitled to miss a lot for what he's done for the organization, the things outlined above give me PAUSE, not concern. Clear enough?

For those who haven't seen AJSS, you'll like him for sure. Enscheff will provide data after his first appearances and you can make your own conclusions about his stuff.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    Depending upon which Bryc(s)e you are taking about (Wilson or Elder), it's not a ringing endorsement of the approach. If it's Elder, we have to remember he's a college guy and he had over 200 minor league innings pitched before hitting the major league. Ynoa was over 400 minor league innings. I'm not saying this can't work, I just don't think a lot of fans are using a wide-angle lens when looking at the move.