2. The Following User Says Thank You to Deester11 For This Useful Post:

Tapate50 (06-07-2023)

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    612 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GovClintonTyree View Post
    This is the new paradigm. With every young pitcher throwing every pitch as hard as they possibly can until they break, you bring them up at 20, squeeze all the juice out of them by 27, then let the Mets and Padres pay them for four years.
    This is the way.

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,033 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hulavol View Post
    This is the way.
    Sure. So the smart team gets the best years, the pitcher makes $50M, and the rich team wins the offseason. Win-win-win.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    612 Posts
    Sure. So the smart team gets the best years, the pitcher makes $50M, and the rich team wins the offseason. Win-win-win.
    And the smart team keeps its window from closing while the rich team never actually opens theirs

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by atl717 View Post
    I have a hard time seeing how that slider can be a good pitch. Guess we will find out. Much rather see him try than watching Dodd.
    You also have a hard time seeing how 6’3” isn’t small so
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    This is the new paradigm. With every young pitcher throwing every pitch as hard as they possibly can until they break, you bring them up at 20, squeeze all the juice out of them by 27, then let the Mets and Padres pay them for four years.
    This seems possible. Not sure how true it is, but it seems like AA has the idea that there is only so many times you can throw 95 plus, so if the guy is doing that as a starter, then you get him up before he drops down.

Maybe an extension is in there. Still a little surprised he locked up Strider so fast.

The difference here is that we have a kid with very little pitching. Very fresh arm. Also very raw as a pitcher. Interesting to let him learn at the majors. It's not like dominated at AA or AAA for a year or even half a year.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Russ2dollas For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-07-2023)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,492 Posts
    Baseball America moved him to #49 in their top 100 today.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to CJ9 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-08-2023)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,991 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ9 View Post
    Baseball America moved him to #49 in their top 100 today.
    The Braves just keep making it work... lol

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,321 Posts
    I hope we would get development from an OF but no such luck.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,987 Posts
    Back to the 90's/00' era of prospect success seems like. Literally didn't think we had anyone that would make a difference this year aside from Grissom who I didn't really consider a prospect anymore.

I also was for sure Elder wouldn't last in the rotation once Soroka was back. Elder now leads all of baseball in ERA.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-08-2023)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Here's what we actually witnessed:

FA at 94.7, which is above average. Somehow he got 9.9" of rise...which is close to Grade 80. His 3.0" of arm-side run is below average, but who cares, this is a plus rising FA. AJSS somehow turns mediocre spin into massive rise on a relatively straight FA. The same metric has Strider at 10.1" of rise, and AJSS is right there with him, albeit a few ticks less in velocity. This FA is what what we would see when Strider backs off a bit if he could keep his rising action at lower velocity.

SL at 85.1, which is average velocity. Glove-side break of 2.5" is average horizontally, and 2.0" of "rise" is average vertically. What I saw was a kid unable to finish his breaking ball, and left it up and all over the place, but if he executes this is an average or better pitch.

CU at 77.9, which again, is right around average velocity. Glove-side break of 4.8" is right around average, and 8.5" of sink is like Grade 70. This is a downer curve that's a legit plus or better out pitch.

So, I don't really know what to say. It's almost like someone took a MLB-quality raw arm, stuck him in a Statcast performance lab for 6 months to optimize his spin efficiency, and then unleashed him on minor league baseball. The data I just posted does not match the eye test, and now I have to re-watch the condensed version of this game to see what I missed. If that is his true arsenal he absolutely should be starting the next time his rotation spot opens, and we get to witness someone "learn how to pitch" who actually has a chance to be an impact SP. He is now the most fascinating player on the roster to me.
    In his 2nd start the FA was down almost 2 ticks, but the movement was still mostly there. He also lost some horizontal movement on the SL, and rarely used the CU. Probably why he only struck out 2 guys.

Hopefully the stuff ticks back up in his next start.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-10-2023)

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    In his 2nd start the FA was down almost 2 ticks, but the movement was still mostly there. He also lost some horizontal movement on the SL, and rarely used the CU. Probably why he only struck out 2 guys.

I thought it was strange he barely used his CU, given the reports—from your initial recap, and elsewhere—that his CU has rapidly surpassed his SL as his best secondary pitch. Hopefully we'll get to see more of the CU subsequently.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,991 Posts

I noticed the same. Given it was his first start, I’ll go with nerves. Hopefully, next start is a better story

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    This seems possible. Not sure how true it is, but it seems like AA has the idea that there is only so many times you can throw 95 plus, so if the guy is doing that as a starter, then you get him up before he drops down.

Maybe an extension is in there. Still a little surprised he locked up Strider so fast.

The difference here is that we have a kid with very little pitching. Very fresh arm. Also very raw as a pitcher. Interesting to let him learn at the majors. It's not like dominated at AA or AAA for a year or even half a year.
    Regarding Strider, he had a ton of team control coming in, so we only bought out, i think 2 FA years? And worst case if his arm blows out, he's a big arm in the bullpen.