Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: AJ Smith-Shawver Called Up

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    Tools and resources are probably better the higher you go. Not saying you have to rush someone to develop them, but if they have the pure stuff and only need refinement, then moving to MLB might not be so bad.. It probably doesn't hurt to talk to guys like Strider and Morton.. especially Mort since he loves his FA/Curve combo.
    Braves have seen a number of pitchers improve their command at the major league level. I think all of them had more minor league seasoning than AJSS but it seems the brass sees something.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Super For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-07-2023)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Man color me shocked the FO knew more about the stuff than the message board scouts!

Chalk it up to AA man... they are finding guys everywhere and squeezing a lot out of them.

This is what its like to have a REAL life top tier GM? Whew. Man what a relief that its AA and not Coppy.
    Ivermectin Man

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Tapate50 For This Useful Post:

Hudson2 (06-06-2023)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    527 Posts
    Tools and resources are probably better the higher you go. Not saying you have to rush someone to develop them, but if they have the pure stuff and only need refinement, then moving to MLB might not be so bad.. It probably doesn't hurt to talk to guys like Strider and Morton.. especially Mort since he loves his FA/Curve combo.
    I think you pointed out an under rated aspect of the whole thing. The ability to pick the brain of guys like Fried, Morton, Strider in the clubhouse.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,492 Posts
    AA just confirmed he's starting Friday or Saturday.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Here's what we actually witnessed:

FA at 94.7, which is above average. Somehow he got 9.9" of rise...which is close to Grade 80. His 3.0" of arm-side run is below average, but who cares, this is a plus rising FA. AJSS somehow turns mediocre spin into massive rise on a relatively straight FA. The same metric has Strider at 10.1" of rise, and AJSS is right there with him, albeit a few ticks less in velocity. This FA is what what we would see when Strider backs off a bit if he could keep his rising action at lower velocity.

SL at 85.1, which is average velocity. Glove-side break of 2.5" is average horizontally, and 2.0" of "rise" is average vertically. What I saw was a kid unable to finish his breaking ball, and left it up and all over the place, but if he executes this is an average or better pitch.

CU at 77.9, which again, is right around average velocity. Glove-side break of 4.8" is right around average, and 8.5" of sink is like Grade 70. This is a downer curve that's a legit plus or better out pitch.

So, I don't really know what to say. It's almost like someone took a MLB-quality raw arm, stuck him in a Statcast performance lab for 6 months to optimize his spin efficiency, and then unleashed him on minor league baseball. The data I just posted does not match the eye test, and now I have to re-watch the condensed version of this game to see what I missed. If that is his true arsenal he absolutely should be starting the next time his rotation spot opens, and we get to witness someone "learn how to pitch" who actually has a chance to be an impact SP. He is now the most fascinating player on the roster to me.
    Appreciate these.

Like I said before. I think spin rates are good if very high or low. That was my memory. By hood I mean equate to movement. I thought the issue with low spin rate is less predictable movement.

This kid also has the least amount of pre mlb innings in history before call up. So we should expect growing pains.

I’m thinking best he’ll do is 5 innings unless people are crazy aggressive. Likely going to throw a ton of pitches.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Russ2dollas For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-07-2023)

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    Man color me shocked the FO knew more about the stuff than the message board scouts!

Chalk it up to AA man... they are finding guys everywhere and squeezing a lot out of them.

This is what its like to have a REAL life top tier GM? Whew. Man what a relief that its AA and not Coppy.
    LMAO. No "message board scout" that I know of said anything derogatory about his stuff. They questioned the wisdom of calling up a pitcher so young with little development time. It's unprecedented for the Braves no matter how much people throw up Strider. Totally different situation. It's a move that's great until it isn't. People have merit to at least have a peak interest in such move.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,862 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post

I think AA has proven that he's just okay at his job

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,703 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Deester11 View Post
    LMAO. No "message board scout" that I know of said anything derogatory about his stuff. They questioned the wisdom of calling up a pitcher so young with little development time. It's unprecedented for the Braves no matter how much people throw up Strider. Totally different situation. It's a move that's great until it isn't. People have merit to at least have a peak interest in such move.
    Go back a couple pages. There was talk of his stuff not being good enough based on AAA statcast

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Go back a couple pages. There was talk of his stuff not being good enough based on AAA statcast
    Eh. Those people haven't seen him I guess. I had the opposite posts but still thought his promotion was aggressive. If they think he's better served in the majors who am I to suggest otherwise. Just a message board scout.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    I think AA has proven that he's just okay at his job
    Yeah cause everyone says AA sucks. Get over it. People can have different views than the GM, even if we're dumb for doing so.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,521 Posts
    Well, one of those guys said he was going to withhold judgment until the MLB data came back, and admitted once it did that his hunch was wrong.

The other guy thinks Soroka is short.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to CyYoung31 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-07-2023)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,369 Posts
    I wanted to package him for Hector Olivera.. he is still around isn't he??
    Coppy

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,862 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Deester11 View Post
    Yeah cause everyone says AA sucks. Get over it. People can have different views than the GM, even if we're dumb for doing so.
    Why you mad bro?

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,369 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Why you mad bro?
    Don't mess with Deesters prospects or GM...
    Coppy

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Don't mess with Deesters prospects or GM...
    Lmao. My apologies to all....I am passionate about the 'Spects...and the GM certainly has earned the right to err. I just sit at these minor games like an unpaid scout and I have idiot takes but they're my takes I guess. I'll never want anything but the best for the Braves and their young'uns.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,133 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post
    Well, one of those guys said he was going to withhold judgment until the MLB data came back, and admitted once it did that his hunch was wrong.

The other guy thinks Soroka is short.
    Yeah, I'm not sure what the flex was. I clearly stated I don't make judgements until I see MLB movement data. Had I seen this movement data based on his AAA tenure I would have drawn the same conclusion weeks ago. I'm sure the FA was rising 10" there, and the CU was dropping 8.5" in AAA too...I just had no way of knowing.

AA and the Braves had more info than us, so it stands to reason they can make better decisions. If I had access to the same data I guarantee I could make the same evaluations. It is not rocket science.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-07-2023)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Don’t apologize to these animals
    Ivermectin Man

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    93 Posts
    I have a hard time seeing how that slider can be a good pitch. Guess we will find out. Much rather see him try than watching Dodd.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,051 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by atl717 View Post
    I have a hard time seeing how that slider can be a good pitch. Guess we will find out. Much rather see him try than watching Dodd.
    It doesn't have to be a great pitch. It's looking like he could end up with two plus pitches in the fastball and curve. Just an average slider gives him a good mix.

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,033 Posts
    Rushing a kid with below avg stuff up at age 20 makes no sense. We're in win now mode, and I don't think AA thinks rushing a kid with bad stuff is gonna somehow make the pen better. Either AA is an idiot or this kid has good stuff... there is no in between
    This is the new paradigm. With every young pitcher throwing every pitch as hard as they possibly can until they break, you bring them up at 20, squeeze all the juice out of them by 27, then let the Mets and Padres pay them for four years.