Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: GDT 6/2/23: Braves @ Snakes - Showdown in the desert

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    In his last 50 PAs, Acuna has an average EV of 95.4. His BABIP is just .268. He's been really unlucky.

In his last 50 PAs, Arcia's average EV is 87. His BABIP is .343. He's been lucky and yet has still been bad.

As for why I single out Arcia, it's because people were quick to jump on me for doubting him when he was doing well. Now that he's regressing, I'm pointing that fact out.
    No you keep acting like people were saying he was going to be some all world player when no one was. He’s a solid shortstop for a stacked team. That’s all we need for an 8th/9th hole hitter. I guess Arcia can’t slump.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,314 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    I thought I remembered his back injury happening at the end of spring training but maybe it was the first of the season. Doesn’t really change anything. Tough to get in a routine when you have 2 nagging injuries to start the year.
    First of the season. The back injury occurred on April 6th.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    The whole lineup sucks right now and has for a while. It’s called a slump. They happen. No one thought Arcia was going to keep hitting .340… such a weird lap you keep trying to take for him.
    Lots of weird victory laps were taken by his supporters when Arcia was insanely hot and lucky. You can't expect his doubters to sit meekly by when he faceplants.

You call this a slump but Arcia has actually been lucky over his last 50 PAs according to his BABIP. The Arcia we're seeing is far closer to his career norms than the guy we saw the first 6 weeks of the season. This doesn't look like a slump, it looks like regression.

The odds that Arcia was suddenly a different player are remote. It's always been far, far more likely he'll end the season close to career norms.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    No you keep acting like people were saying he was going to be some all world player when no one was. He’s a solid shortstop for a stacked team. That’s all we need for an 8th/9th hole hitter. I guess Arcia can’t slump.
    No one said he would be all world. Lots seemed to think he fixed his swing and was now an above average SS.

It's not that he can't slump. It's that what we're seeing now is classic regression. Why was anyone thinking he was suddenly significantly better than the guy who took his last 1,000 PAs?

I wouldn't be saying a peep of people had been saying we should enjoy Arcia while he lasts and expecting him to regress to career norms. But people didn't say that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,675 Posts

Orlando is the least of our troubles

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    In his last 50 PAs, Acuna has an average EV of 95.4. His BABIP is just .268. He's been really unlucky.

In his last 50 PAs, Arcia's average EV is 87. His BABIP is .343. He's been lucky and yet has still been bad.

As for why I single out Arcia, it's because people were quick to jump on me for doubting him when he was doing well. Now that he's regressing, I'm pointing that fact out.
    Am 832 ops is regressing ?
    Ivermectin Man

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    I would take 9 Arcia’s versus 1 LHH Ozzie. They need to call up shew again and let Ozzie know he won’t play again versus a RHP until he stops this bull**** weak lefty hitting.

I mean it is sad that I knew from the first inning that this team can’t score more than 3 runs. There is not a single plan that a hitter has. Just go up and swing hard and pray for the best. Twit just sits there and lets the players do what they want cause they know they will be playing tomorrow. He just naps in the dugout dreaming about what dress coat he is going to buy next while seltzer water tells the next guy to swing harder in case he makes contact.
    Coppy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    Damn... Arcia must have poked striker's mom or something...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    Am 832 ops is regressing ?
    He's regressing. He's not regressed fully to the mean yet.

Over his last 52 PAs he has an OPS of .573. This is in spite of a BABIP of .333. His wOBA over this time is just .262 and his EV is 86.5.

Now let's look at his career numbers in over 2000 PAs. His career OPS is .674 and his career wOBA is .290. His average EV over his career is 87.6.

What he's done recently is way more in line with his career norms than the .997 OPS hitter with a 92 EV we saw up to that point.

Arcia isn't the worst of our problems but he's not the hitter a lot of people here thought he was 3 weeks ago.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,675 Posts
    https://twitter.com/dobrienatl/statu...8Bgqphp2LQd9zA

Might be time to send Harris down for a while.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post

A lot of things going on with Harris. The injuries haven't helped, but--and everyone knows this is a common theme with me--he was rushed up last season and although he performed magnificently in 2022, baseball is a game of adjustments and when old-fashioned eyeball scouting is augmented with the technological tools teams now use, players' weaknesses can be readily recognized and exploited. I think his glove is going to carry, but he's going to have to make adjustments on the offensive side of the equation and it's tougher to do that at the major league level.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Just saw the replay on the Riley double where Olson was thrown out on the basepaths. For those who watched live, who was to blame: Olson or Washington? Great play on the carom by the LF and I think Olson would have been out by 20 feet had he kept going. That said, did Washington put Olson in no-man's-land?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts

Over his last 52 PAs he has an OPS of .573. This is in spite of a BABIP of .333. His wOBA over this time is just .262 and his EV is 86.5.

Now let's look at his career numbers in over 2000 PAs. His career OPS is .674 and his career wOBA is .290. His average EV over his career is 87.6.

What he's done recently is way more in line with his career norms than the .997 OPS hitter with a 92 EV we saw up to that point.

Arcia isn't the worst of our problems but he's not the hitter a lot of people here thought he was 3 weeks ago.
    Lol. So desperate to be right. What kind of hitter did people think he was? He’s an average-ish hitter. His last 52 PAs don’t mean he isn’t just like his previous 52 PAs didn’t make him a stud.

You can continue to argue with yourself though. It’s just weird.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    Just saw the replay on the Riley double where Olson was thrown out on the basepaths. For those who watched live, who was to blame: Olson or Washington? Great play on the carom by the LF and I think Olson would have been out by 20 feet had he kept going. That said, did Washington put Olson in no-man's-land?
    Yeah, it was all on Wash... he was waving him enthusiastically the whole time and basically threw up the stop sign right as Olson was already rounding 3rd.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post

One thing DOB left out is Harris's .167 BABIP during those 45 PAs. If you normalize his luck he's still not doing great but it's not as bleak as it seems.

I do think it's pretty clear Harris isn't 100%. Back injuries linger and linger and linger. I would shut him down for 6 weeks and let him heal up. We'll need him in the second half.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    There is a time and place for letting a guy figure it out and then there is Harris. He and Ozzie are crushing the team and some how Twit has them perfectly spread out that they both can kill rallies every inning this putrid offense can actually have one. There are so many under performing guys in this lineup that they are just not fun to watch. It is a shame, because the starters have been the best thing on this team and what was supposed to be a strong point is getting exposed. I know Acuan/Murphy/Olson will be fine. Riley will be unplayable for long stretches then look slightly above replacement for other stretches.. Ozuna and Rasorryio will have games that give Twit a boner, but they will still be negative players. Ozzie will keep hitting left handed and continue to kill rallies and Harris will keep getting sent out because we don't want to hurt his feelings... So it is what it is and we can just enjoy the ruterless ship as it drifts for the first round playoff loss.
    Coppy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,675 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hulavol View Post
    Eddie !

- Hey Mississippi - go grab a Coors Light quick before they cut the sales off !
    And send us a picture

Going hard today. Haven't even checked in Airbnb yet. If the braves lose tonight, it won't be bc I didn't inhale as much coors light as my liver (or wife) can handle

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    589 Posts

In spite of his time missed Arcia has been the 6th most valuable Brave this season by fWAR trailing only Acuna Murphy Strider Olson and Elder. At the rate he's going he's gonna end the season between 3-4 fWAR.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    One can’t assume war only goes in one direction. Arica could easily end with half a war by end of season.
    Coppy