Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: GDT 6-4: The Return of the THING CALLED SOROKA.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    148 Posts
    Did Turbo and Dancing Emma stop by tonight? Hope all is well.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to buck75 For This Useful Post:

TURBO (06-05-2023)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,675 Posts
    The wife had me taking nature hikes today. Did the rookie look good? He continues to K guys at every level... that's impressive

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,278 Posts

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TURBO For This Useful Post:

buck75 (06-07-2023), Garmel (06-05-2023), GovClintonTyree (06-05-2023)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,481 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    The wife had me taking nature hikes today. Did the rookie look good? He continues to K guys at every level... that's impressive
    Good for your blood pressure.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    1st inning was meh personally... but effective. His second inning of work was pretty good. Seemed to have command of every pitch he threw pretty much... very easy inning. 3rd inning of work.. walked a dude and looked lost again..
    Coppy

Swallowed by Mark Bowman
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,269 Posts
    Not going to lie, Smith-Shawver looks like some low-level Harlan County criminal Raylan Givens would have to exasperatedly dispatch on his way to dealing with bigger fish in an episode of Justified.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,974 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    Make him run bleachers. Fine his ass. Don’t hurt the team by being a dinosaur
    We PH Ozuna with Murphy. How is that hurting the team?

And Ozuna isn't running any bleachers. That is stuff coaches do in college and high school because they can. MLB players don't run bleachers.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,675 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post

And Ozuna isn't running any bleachers. That is stuff coaches do in college and high school because they can. MLB players don't run bleachers.
    Since May, ozuna...
    .316/.387/.632
    .428 wOBA
    170 wrc+

Has any brave matched that level of production?

Spring Training Invitee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    53 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MadduxFanII View Post
    Not going to lie, Smith-Shawver looks like some low-level Harlan County criminal Raylan Givens would have to exasperatedly dispatch on his way to dealing with bigger fish in an episode of Justified.
    Justified comes back in July!!

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    599 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Chosen One View Post
    He can suck again until October for all I care.
    Yeah - I was about to post this too. He - for whatever reason- seems to come through when it is a big stage - against the LA Dodgers, the occasional ninth inning with two outs and bases loaded, and playoff time. If he can show up playoff time, I am good with it!

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,974 Posts
    Since May, ozuna...
    .316/.387/.632
    .428 wOBA
    170 wrc+

Has any brave matched that level of production?
    Which is almost entirely predicated on a 3 week stretch where he hit out of his mind.

More recently:

Last 11 games: .263/.317/.526 (solid not amazing)

Last 7 games: .200/.273/.200 (atrocious).

Look I'm glad Ozuna has found his bat again and is no longer the current mantle holder of SVOD. But he also hasn't suddenly morphed into a top 10 hitter in the league. Aside from BA, his current overall slash line is nearly identical to his career average. Hopefully going forward the valley's aren't as low as they were early in the season, even if it means the mountains aren't as high as they were in May.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with benching him to send him a message, especially when you are replacing him with a proven better hitter.
    Last edited by Carp; 06-05-2023 at 09:59 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    599 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by USMA76 View Post
    The replay showed the ball clearing his glove by a larger margin than I originally thought.
    Yes - at first look I thought it was more fluky/barely made it/almost caught- Michael Harris woulda’ had it /we got lucky/etc- but no, that ball was sufficiently GONE. :)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts

It isn't about player versus player.. it is about using your best bench bat at the wrong time. it is not hard to see this. And it isn't about running bleachers or fine.. I was more saying handle it off the field, but handle it.. Don't decide this one instance is when you make a statement infront of fans and players.. How many other times have players made really stupid decisions on the field that just went by with no 'statement'.. Eddie on Soroka's last start threw to the wrong base twice in one game leading to additional runs in both cases. He didn't get benched. It is stupid to make a decision like that and leave such a huge grey area for interpertation..
    Coppy

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,974 Posts
    It isn't about player versus player.. it is about using your best bench bat at the wrong time. it is not hard to see this. And it isn't about running bleachers or fine.. I was more saying handle it off the field, but handle it.. Don't decide this one instance is when you make a statement infront of fans and players.. How many other times have players made really stupid decisions on the field that just went by with no 'statement'.. Eddie on Soroka's last start threw to the wrong base twice in one game leading to additional runs in both cases. He didn't get benched. It is stupid to make a decision like that and leave such a huge grey area for interpertation..
    Making a mistake is one thing. Eddie's mistakes weren't for lack of trying. Ozuna's mistake was lack of effort. Some guys like Acuna can get away with it because they are mega stars. Ozuna is clearly a guy that cannot get away with that sort of effort. And I would be willing to bet it isn't the first time Snit or another coach has had something to say to Ozuna about a lack of effort.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Making a mistake is one thing. Eddie's mistakes weren't for lack of trying. Ozuna's mistake was lack of effort. Some guys like Acuna can get away with it because they are mega stars. Ozuna is clearly a guy that cannot get away with that sort of effort. And I would be willing to bet it isn't the first time Snit or another coach has had something to say to Ozuna about a lack of effort.
    So you can look the other way if a player is 'trying' but not doing the basic fundamental aspects of baseball.. and you can look the other way when the player is better than some imaginary threshold of goodness... gotcha.. So stealing a base when you are one of the slowest guys on the field, or running through a stop sign are all ok becasue you are trying really hard.. sure it can cost your team runs, but good effort little timmy. Oh and don't worry about super star tommy over there, he can do whatever he wants because he is better than you..

it is stupid. Murphy should have been deployed properly and not as some 'I am a tough guy, look at how I have control of my team' manager moment..
    Coppy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    599 Posts
    As usual, we question what we don’t understand and are guilty of contempt prior to investigation. We assume Brian Snitker made an off the cuff, spur of the moment bad decision. What we don’t know, and as mentioned earlier, is that Marcell knew the deal there. Brian made that clear in the postgame- he had to take him out - he clearly had threatened this before : “nobody felt worse about me having to take him out than Marcell.”

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Hulavol For This Useful Post:

Carp (06-05-2023)

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    220 Posts
    The Braves are 5-4 in west coast games this year, but typically they are very bad. Somewhere I had compiled their record in Pacific Time games since 2018 and its pretty much a losing record every year. Alot of that is because they can't beat the Dodgers in Dodger Stadium (even in the 2021 NLCS they lost 2 of 3 at Dodger stadium, and the 2020 NLCS was played in Texas.) That losing series streak goes back at least a decade, if not longer.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hulavol View Post
    As usual, we question what we don’t understand and are guilty of contempt prior to investigation. We assume Brian Snitker made an off the cuff, spur of the moment bad decision. What we don’t know, and as mentioned earlier, is that Marcell knew the deal there. Brian made that clear in the postgame- he had to take him out - he clearly had threatened this before : “nobody felt worse about me having to take him out than Marcell.”
    I did not watch any post game presser and will admit to not knowing if there were pre-existing conditions. I can't think of any 'showboat' moves Ozuna has made this year that would warrant a warning.. but maybe so, and in that case Twit was right in his actions.

however, that was a 415' single.. Ozzie's homer just before that was 400'.. I mean Ozuna crushed it and it would be out in 90% of parks I bet... but he still should have at least jogged some so that he could have gotten to second at the very least.
    Coppy

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,974 Posts
    So you can look the other way if a player is 'trying' but not doing the basic fundamental aspects of baseball.. and you can look the other way when the player is better than some imaginary threshold of goodness... gotcha.. So stealing a base when you are one of the slowest guys on the field, or running through a stop sign are all ok becasue you are trying really hard.. sure it can cost your team runs, but good effort little timmy. Oh and don't worry about super star tommy over there, he can do whatever he wants because he is better than you..

it is stupid. Murphy should have been deployed properly and not as some 'I am a tough guy, look at how I have control of my team' manager moment..

Yes Acuna gets special treatment. That shouldn't surprise anyone and it exists in all sports in some fashion. It's the reason Aaron Rodgers can miss OTAs and no one bats an eye. They will even forgive his fines. But if Joey Special Teams misses an OTA, he's probably off the team.

And yes there most certainly is a difference in making a mistake and just not giving effort. And like I said, I would be willing to bet it's not a 1 off happening. It's likely the result of multiple infractions.

Maybe he could have benched him the next game, but that probably doesn't have as much affect considering Ozuna is a part time player anyways.
    Last edited by Carp; 06-05-2023 at 12:30 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,481 Posts
    It isn't about player versus player.. it is about using your best bench bat at the wrong time.
    This. This is the crux of the issue and should t be hard to understand.

Also, they must’ve changed the rule recently, because it used to be that if you PH for your DH, you lost the DH.