Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: GDT 6-4: The Return of the THING CALLED SOROKA.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Garmel View Post
    Yeah, bringing him up is a head scratcher when you look at the season Rios is having as the closer of the Stripers.
    Thanks 50. I mentioned Rios too, but I'll stick to Munoz. I will say that although Munoz's numbers aren't spectacular, he seems as streaky as hitters only in pitcher form. The K numbers have degraded as he's moved up, but he's noticeable when he's "on.". Loved him early in his minor league career and his K rates were always 9 with a high around 10.7..i could be wrong on that.

From a visual standpoint, he's got a whip-like sling to the plate with effort. I see him (as a guess) at truly about 97, but SITTING 94-95. I haven't liked his changeup as the separation was negligible the times I've seen him. Roughly a 90 mph changeup is not that much degree of change for me. I've soured on him but that's more a product of seeing him on more bad days than good. I did like his good moments though. Fangraphs says he has a plus slider and I can agree with that. But I find his command is so sporadic that it may be good enough to work.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Deester11 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-06-2023)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    I bet Soroka goes back to his sinker now.
    thank you weso1!

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to weso1 For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (06-05-2023), jpx7 (06-06-2023)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,698 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by weso1 View Post
    He should

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,988 Posts
    We can only hope. But more than anything he has to get that command back. I think he can though… dudes gotta be rusty with his command after almost 3 years

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zbhargrove For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (06-06-2023), jpx7 (06-06-2023)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,506 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    We can only hope. But more than anything he has to get that command back. I think he can though… dudes gotta be rusty with his command after almost 3 years
    That and learning a new delivery. Not sure what the Braves were expecting.

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CyYoung31 For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (06-06-2023), JohnAdcox (06-06-2023), jpx7 (06-06-2023), Mrs. Meta (06-06-2023)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,361 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post
    That and learning a new delivery. Not sure what the Braves were expecting.
    That is what I am thinking. A new delivery is a new release point and new spin rates. Ball won’t react the same as he was used to. Just let Soroka be Soroka and not DeGrom. I am hoping he scraps this and just learns how to do things his way.
    Coppy

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    That is what I am thinking. A new delivery is a new release point and new spin rates. Ball won’t react the same as he was used to. Just let Soroka be Soroka and not DeGrom. I am hoping he scraps this and just learns how to do things his way.
    I really don't think he has a choice. I do know. That once you rupture your Achilles, you have to relearn a gait that is totally different than what you're used to. I can't even imagine having to land while having enough torque to throw a strike. You could do all the rehab you want when it comes to your Achilles and you still won't feel the same. I am still hesitant to go up and down steps. Especially down, because I feel like if I step wrong I'm going to rupture it again. I know he's had a long rehab and I know that it's not easy. But planting and torquing just seems like it would be a confidence thing. And if he doesn't have confidence in his Achilles I can understand that.

I definitely miss his delivery before because it was a thing of beauty and gave a lot of movement to his pitches. I am hoping he figures it out. Like we all are.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,895 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    There’s really not a his way anymore.

It’s what the data says.
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,895 Posts
    I’d sure hope so.
    Ivermectin Man

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,361 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    There’s really not a his way anymore.

It’s what the data says.
    Wouldn't the data say, the new way sucks.. just saying..
    Coppy

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,361 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Deester11 View Post
    I really don't think he has a choice. I do know. That once you rupture your Achilles, you have to relearn a gait that is totally different than what you're used to. I can't even imagine having to land while having enough torque to throw a strike. You could do all the rehab you want when it comes to your Achilles and you still won't feel the same. I am still hesitant to go up and down steps. Especially down, because I feel like if I step wrong I'm going to rupture it again. I know he's had a long rehab and I know that it's not easy. But planting and torquing just seems like it would be a confidence thing. And if he doesn't have confidence in his Achilles I can understand that.

I definitely miss his delivery before because it was a thing of beauty and gave a lot of movement to his pitches. I am hoping he figures it out. Like we all are.
    I am not a doctor nor pitching coach, but the broadcast said he increased his stride to plate to gain extention... as a local idiot, it seems a longer gait would lead to a harder landing (lower landing on slope of mound) and increased stretch of all the muscles of the leg. Maybe I am not right, but that is my thought.
    Coppy