Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: GDT 6/9- The UNLEASHING- AJSS takes the mound!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,705 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanforlife88 View Post
    As much as they are pushing the narrative about how much progress he has made to be promoted as aggressively as he has been, you'd think that the pitches would look a lot better. Looking yesterday, it didn't seem like most of his pitches early had a lot of movement. And I agree with Matt, had it been a better hitting team, it would have been a different story.
    Maybe, maybe not. Elder was undermined here bc of weak competition, but he's handled good competition since. I'm of the opinion that holding down any mlb is note worthy for the younger player in mlb

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to msstate7 For This Useful Post:

Garmel (06-10-2023), jpx7 (06-10-2023)

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    532 Posts
    I'm good with AJSS starting in Detroit next week, but in no way do I let him start his next scheduled start in Citizens Bank Ballpark. That place has been a house of horrors for most Braves pitchers.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WaitingFor2017 View Post
    I'm good with AJSS starting in Detroit next week, but in no way do I let him start his next scheduled start in Citizens Bank Ballpark. That place has been a house of horrors for most Braves pitchers.
    You'd rather it be a bullpen game? If he gets hit then he gets hit. Those games will happen and with the way the Braves are playing and how the rest of the division is currently it's not that big of a deal.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-10-2023)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,494 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Maybe, maybe not. Elder was undermined here bc of weak competition, but he's handled good competition since. I'm of the opinion that holding down any mlb is note worthy for the younger player in mlb
    Elders pitches have more movement, according to the eye test.

But AJSS still has potential. And I guess the point is he has made so few starts, he still needs development. Far from a finished product
    Get off my lawn!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesfanforlife88 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-10-2023)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    I fully expect AJSS to look a lot better next time. Looking bad last night is no more damning than saying Strider looked bad two nights ago.
    Coppy

9. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-10-2023)

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    I was at the game last night. His fb looked a little too straight at times. I saw 91-93 more than I've seen him throw in the minors. He was settled in around the 3rd so I discounted nerves. He looked like a pitcher who was confident but not nearly ready. If only because there are some refinements that he really needs. He wasn't punished for mistakes in the upper portion of the zone that I expect mlb hitters to punish.

All in all...you saw the fight in him. He's got a chance to be a 3 type, but there is a lot left to unlock. Imho.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Deester11 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-10-2023)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    You'd rather it be a bullpen game? If he gets hit then he gets hit. Those games will happen and with the way the Braves are playing and how the rest of the division is currently it's not that big of a deal.
    But the same logic would apply if Dodd were throwing. Smith-Shawver has a higher ceiling than Dodd, but I just think rushing Smith-Shawver through the system amounts to an unnecessary reflex move.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    But the same logic would apply if Dodd were throwing. Smith-Shawver has a higher ceiling than Dodd, but I just think rushing Smith-Shawver through the system amounts to an unnecessary reflex move.
    But Dodd is likely to get hit every time he starts. He's just not good. The idea is that AJSS isn't going to support a 5+ ERA.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,293 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBrave View Post
    But that's not my point. We owe him that next year regardless. We don't have the option to sign him to that this off season. While he's looking good it's easy to imagine he will be this good the entire contract. He could easily lose it. He's 33 and already lost two ticks on his velocity.
    Of course, but you’re basically advocating to never sign a relief pitcher, which is fine. Certainly some teams have had a lot of success with this strategy. But if you are going to sign a high leverage relief pitcher, two years for Iglesias seems better than most alternatives.