Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: GDT 6-11: EIGHT Days a Week. Elder brings the Broom!

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    624 Posts
    Welp….

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    624 Posts
    Pirates 2
    Mets 1

Final

And fish going down too.

No harm no foul.

And while I understand the teeth gnashing about leaving Elder in too long, you know Snit is trying his best to limit the bullpen as much as possible - if you can reduce bullpen usage by 100 innings, you are gonna do better over all.
    Methinks that’s the strategy anyway. Some games it’s gonna cost dearly. Other days not so much.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Hulavol For This Useful Post:

buck75 (06-11-2023)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,993 Posts
    Damn, I knew the White Sox are bad but yikes. Marlins take the lead in the ninth. Five runs in the last two innings.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hulavol View Post
    Pirates 2
    Mets 1

Final

And fish going down too.

No harm no foul.

And while I understand the teeth gnashing about leaving Elder in too long, you know Snit is trying his best to limit the bullpen as much as possible - if you can reduce bullpen usage by 100 innings, you are gonna do better over all.
    Methinks that’s the strategy anyway. Some games it’s gonna cost dearly. Other days not so much.
    Yeah, you'd think if it wasn't for Snitker and all this bad luck, we'd end 162-0.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UNCBlue012 View Post
    Damn, I knew the White Sox are bad but yikes. Marlins take the lead in the ninth. Five runs in the last two innings.
    Looking at that Marlins team, I don't see how they'd ever score many runs even with future Hall of Famer Jon Berti at shortstop. Good young pitching though.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,371 Posts
    More on offense today. Hard hit outs. Bad approaches. Still don’t understand why twit doesn’t give guys days off. We can win without one guys bat in the lineup on any given night. Guys being able to just sit and watch a game is just good for their mental aspect.
    Coppy

8. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

buck75 (06-11-2023)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    More on offense today. Hard hit outs. Bad approaches. Still don’t understand why twit doesn’t give guys days off. We can win without one guys bat in the lineup on any given night. Guys being able to just sit and watch a game is just good for their mental aspect.
    I agree. I think the changing nature of the game has just about eliminated the "Sunday line-up" and our bench is pretty bad. If Hilliard is only going to pinch-run and Culberson is only going to keep the sunflower seed bucket filled, I don't know why they are even around. People conjecture about needed improvements at the deadline, but I think adding a couple of more playable bench pieces might be in order. If only the Braves could trust Grissom's defense or Shewmake's offense.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    624 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    I agree. I think the changing nature of the game has just about eliminated the "Sunday line-up" and our bench is pretty bad. If Hilliard is only going to pinch-run and Culberson is only going to keep the sunflower seed bucket filled, I don't know why they are even around. People conjecture about needed improvements at the deadline, but I think adding a couple of more playable bench pieces might be in order. If only the Braves could trust Grissom's defense or Shewmake's offense.
    To me, it’s the sad reality of the DH- I assume most people like the increased offense and faster game times and all that, but I truly miss the art of the construction of a good bench— and having various pinch hitters seemingly get plate appearances every night - the double switch and all the fun.
    Nowadays your bench guys never play and the game has changed for the worse - again, just me.

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,762 Posts
    To me, it’s the sad reality of the DH- I assume most people like the increased offense and faster game times and all that, but I truly miss the art of the construction of a good bench— and having various pinch hitters seemingly get plate appearances every night - the double switch and all the fun.
    Nowadays your bench guys never play and the game has changed for the worse - again, just me.
    I don't miss it. The DH masks a lot of Snit's weaknesses. With how cute he'd try to get with double switching and such.
    Forever Fredi

12. The Following User Says Thank You to The Chosen One For This Useful Post:

Mrs. Meta (06-12-2023)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    I agree. The DH has contributed because you no longer need as many pinch-hitters because the pitcher doesn't bat. The other angle is how pitchers are used and how teams really do need longer bullpens. There's no denying that "third time through" stats are accurate and relevant so the complete game has gone the way of the dinosaur (nothing wrong with that), and teams are more than likely needing three-plus innings out of their bullpen regularly.

I just think the Braves' bench is rather oddly constructed.

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    The bench is a big issue. Other than TDA/Ozuna, whoever isnt at DH, we dont have much to play. Culberson doesnt do anything, Hilliard barely plays, Pillar is a platoon guy. Think thats the big need at the deadline, not BP/SP's. Do agree i wish Snit would give some of our regulars a day off. These guys are humans, not robots.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Heyward For This Useful Post:

DirkPiggler (06-12-2023)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,371 Posts
    Is Ehrie on the team anymore? I would just play Cluberson at rotating position 3 times a week. Pilar will naturally give Rasorrio a day off and can play for Ronnie too.. Hilliard can play center to give MH2 off or have Pilar in and let Ronnie roam center, then start using Culberson at 3rd, SS, 2nd... Figure out 1st, Pilar, culberson, TDA should be able to handle it. Give these guys a day off twice a month while a game is playing which would give them 5-7 days off a month.. There is enough fire power in this lineup that Culberson/Hilliard as a black hole offensively 2/3 times a week isn't going to hurt us. Twit running these guys down is more of a concern...
    Coppy

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,034 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    The bench is a big issue. Other than TDA/Ozuna, whoever isnt at DH, we dont have much to play. Culberson doesnt do anything, Hilliard barely plays, Pillar is a platoon guy. Think thats the big need at the deadline, not BP/SP's. Do agree i wish Snit would give some of our regulars a day off. These guys are humans, not robots.
    I think the only thing wrong with the guys on the bench is they never get off the bench.

They're all useful within certain parameters. They all have weaknesses, that's why they're bench players.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    Agreed. As currently constructed this team's biggest need is a competent middle infielder for the bench. We are an injury away from replacing Ozzie or Arcia with Grissom, Shewmake, or Culberson. None of those should be getting meaningful at-bats (or, in the case of Grissom, defensive innings) for a World Series contender.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,371 Posts
    we can all wish for a bench bat or better player, but we are not going to upgrade that. Twit doesn't deploy the ones we have now. Why would we waste resources and money on someone who won't ever play because we all know twit's lineup card is filled out in pen and photo copied for the week. The only players who deserve rest are catchers and bullpen guys. everyone else just plays everyday.
    Coppy

20. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-12-2023)

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,034 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DirkPiggler View Post
    Agreed. As currently constructed this team's biggest need is a competent middle infielder for the bench. We are an injury away from replacing Ozzie or Arcia with Grissom, Shewmake, or Culberson. None of those should be getting meaningful at-bats (or, in the case of Grissom, defensive innings) for a World Series contender.
    Culberson is a competent middle infielder. There's nothing wrong with Culberson other than he never met a pitch he wouldn't swing at. Before Charlie got here, Adrianza had 10 at bats. Yes, Grissom filled when Arcia was down, but the point is, Snit doesn't play his bench unless somebody's hurt. Period.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,866 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Chosen One View Post
    I don't miss it. The DH masks a lot of Snit's weaknesses. With how cute he'd try to get with double switching and such.
    Agreed. It makes the bench less important and honestly with a really strong 1 through 9 isn't that big of a deal for this team.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    624 Posts
    Y’all realize we are taking BP in Detroit right now? …they are so bad - worse than Oakland….we gonna get swept ….

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    624 Posts
    And Lineup is posted … just sayin’…..

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,866 Posts
    Y’all realize we are taking BP in Detroit right now? …they are so bad - worse than Oakland….we gonna get swept ….
    for real?