Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Kimbrel signs 4 year extension with a club option for fifth year

Called Up to the Major Leagues AUTiger7222's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    137 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Millwood1Hitter View Post
    Gov, and I understand why he did what he did with the BJ deal. I loved the Uggla trade, just hasn't worked out and should have waited on extension.

My only major beefs with Wren was over the KK deal, I don't think that was a move or risk that needed to be made. And the other one was tex for kotch, should have taken the best deal possible no matter what positions the players or prospects involved played. But IMO, all the Tex mess is in JS who was an epic disaster the last decade of his tenure.
    But the KK deal was perfectly understandable. The Braves had absolutely no starting pitching. Nobody knew KK would bomb.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AUTiger7222 View Post
    But the KK deal was perfectly understandable. The Braves had absolutely no starting pitching. Nobody knew KK would bomb.
    Exactly. It really wasn't that bad of a deal, especially if you factor in how much the Braves probably made in merch sales and TV royalties from Japan (Kawakami was a well-established NPB pitcher prior to crossing the Pacific).

Wren's first choice from Japan that offseason was actually Junichi Tazawa, but we were outbid by the Red Sox.

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts
    How about that Derek Lowe signing?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    527 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PawPawMaxwell View Post
    IMO the best result of this extension is not the obvious one of being affordable for the foreseeable future but realistically he is now more attractive to some of the big market teams down the road and could bring an awesome return in trade should that become a move that the team would need to make.
    I actually agree with this comment. Gives us the flexibility to trade him some point down the line in the worst case scenario.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Most of us who aren't whiners knew all along why there were no big trades or signing this off-season, and it's because the franchise knew what kind of a young core it had and that it had to be kept together. These deals the last few weeks are a breath of fresh air and excitement. Awesome to see. I feel most happy about this deal.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to yeezus For This Useful Post:

AUTiger7222 (02-16-2014), MURF21 (02-16-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    137 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    Exactly. It really wasn't that bad of a deal, especially if you factor in how much the Braves probably made in merch sales and TV royalties from Japan (Kawakami was a well-established NPB pitcher prior to crossing the Pacific).

Wren's first choice from Japan that offseason was actually Junichi Tazawa, but we were outbid by the Red Sox.
    And Tazawa has been almost as bad in the majors and has been hurt too.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    I've been a big trade CK guy. But this is a very reasonable deal. I like that we are paying guys money (being fair and not trying to take advantage) and the players are being reasonable.

I really believe that locking down these key pieces is going to be a huge advantage for the organization. They will know who their cornerstone pieces are and that can guide trades, FA signings, and draft strategy for the next couple of years.

I want to lock up Simmons. Then Heyward next, Then JUp if possible (maybe at least till the end of his bro's contract). Gattis is too old to need an extension even if he becomes a stud.

I hope Wrenn will have a better record with extending our own guys then he does with FA.

Develop our own. Keep the studs. Use FA to fill holes, not long term contracts. That will be best for us.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    137 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NinersSBChamps View Post
    How about that Derek Lowe signing?
    The Derek Lowe signing wasn't that bad and was much needed after losing out A.J. Burnett and not trading for Jake Peavy. And Lowe was actually pretty good the first 2 years he was here.
    Last edited by AUTiger7222; 02-16-2014 at 01:48 PM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to AUTiger7222 For This Useful Post:

rico43 (02-16-2014)

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    345 Posts
    I didn't mind the Lowe deal at all. We needed pitching, and needed lots of it. We were relying on the likes of Campillo, Carlisle, James, etc.

Remember wrens first choice was Burnett, but we got outbid by the Yanks and he didn't wanna come here. I think he would have been dominant in a lower pressure environment like Atlanta and working with Roger and Bobby.

And wren wouldn't cave in to giving up Hanson for Peavy.

The KK signing was not necessary because up to that point FW did a masterful job rebuilding the rotation with Lowe and Vasquez, with Jurrgens. And Hanson and Medlen were close to ready, and Glavine was a depth signing. KK was redundant and if we wanted another starter we should have made an offer to Randy Wolf, who cost the same as KK only on a one year deal instead of 3.

But Wolf wasn't a possibility I guess after the Furcal fiasco and the tension that created between organization and agent so it's all revisionist history I guess.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    By the sound of it, we shouldn't be surprised if Simmons is locked up before Opening Day.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    345 Posts
    Hopefully Simmons and Minor are next.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    I really believe that locking down these key pieces is going to be a huge advantage for the organization. They will know who their cornerstone pieces are and that can guide trades, FA signings, and draft strategy for the next couple of years.
    Well said. These signings go beyond simple financial security -- they are, in essence, a rough script for the next three quarters of a decade of Braves baseball. Pretty exciting if you think about it, especially when considering the character (and talents) of the guys signing on the dotted line.
    Last edited by Hawk; 02-16-2014 at 01:36 PM.

Outskirts Of Mobile, Alabama. Roll Tide!!!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,814 Posts
    MLB Network Radio ‏@MLBNetworkRadio 2h
    Wren says new stadium was key in deals: "I’m not sure we’re talking about any of this if we had not had opportunity to move to Cobb County."
    Chopping With The Braves And Rolling With The Tide

Outskirts Of Mobile, Alabama. Roll Tide!!!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,814 Posts
    Joel Sherman ‏@Joelsherman1 3m
    Hear #Braves want to sign Simmons long term but sides differ on offensive value now/future. Hitting pays huge, defense doesn’t.
    Chopping With The Braves And Rolling With The Tide

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonCowboy View Post
    Joel Sherman ‏@Joelsherman1 3m
    Hear #Braves want to sign Simmons long term but sides differ on offensive value now/future. Hitting pays huge, defense doesn’t.
    I think that's fair too. If I was Simmons I wouldn't sell myself short just yet.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    345 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    Well said. These signings go well beyond financial security -- they are, in essence, a rough script for the next three quarters of a decade of Braves baseball. Pretty exciting if you think about it, especially when considering the character (and talents) of the guys signing on the dotted line.
    Exactly! We are going to be set at important positions, especially if we can get deals done with Simmons and Minor as well, and one if Heyward/Upton next year and can fill other needs through minors, trades, FA with lesser type players. This could be the start of another potential dynasty.

And for filling those holes, say we need a 2b or end of game reliever (just using this as examples) if a still productive veteran who had yet to get a ring is available and looking at his options, Atlanta looks pretty darn attractive.

And maybe it's not even that, maybe it's a veteran backup that provides depth that puts teams over the top.

Called Up to the Major Leagues Gary82's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    375 Posts
    I am rescinding my original stance that this offseason was terrible. What a month! Wren (and Hart?) are determined to retain our core for many years to come.

I never thought it was possible to keep Kimbrel and had resigned myself to the fact that he must be traded. Kimbrel took less money and our window for winning it all remains open for the next few years.

Now it's time to extend Minor.

Then Simmons.

Then Wren.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    137 Posts
    Kimbrel can add value to his contract through a points system.

He would earn five points each time he's an All-Star, 10 for winning a Cy Young Award, five for finishing second or third in Cy Young, three for finishing fourth or fifth in Cy Young, five for being the top Cy Young voter-getter among pitchers with fewer than five starts; 10 for winning an MVP award, five for finishing second or third in MVP, third for finishing fourth or fifth in MVP, and three for each season with 57 or more games finished.

Kimbrel would be paid $1 million for 20 points and $500,000 for each additional five points through 45.

Link

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    THIS is a good deal. Very happy. Hope Simmons is next.

With all of this being thrown around, I sure hope we fix the holes so we can make a run at a few titles.

Called Up to the Major Leagues Gary82's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    375 Posts
    Best move of the offseason? Cobb County? It seems like the team is expecting big revenue from the move. I hope they're right.