Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: 2023 Misc Braves Talk

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,524 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mfree80 View Post
    Who the heck is Luke Williams? His profile says he’s a SS, but the Braves called him up as an OF. I was okay with Wall for the last guy on the bench.
    The dude who hit a walk off homer off Will Smith a
    couple of years ago.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,052 Posts
    The Washington Nationals are closer to a wild card spot than the Phillies are to us.

The Tigers are only half a game farther from a wild card spot than the Phils are from us.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    600 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    I would think Chavez takes Collins spot. I still can't believe we haven't gotten one update on him. It had to be broken with him being out this long.
    Braves website is saying they're probably just gonna wait till September 1 to activate Chavez and Lee to since they're both on the 60 day.

Also it looks like Wright wouldn't be back till the very end of the year at the earliest since there's no plans to use him in relief

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Slippyjms View Post
    Braves website is saying they're probably just gonna wait till September 1 to activate Chavez and Lee to since they're both on the 60 day.

Also it looks like Wright wouldn't be back till the very end of the year at the earliest since there's no plans to use him in relief
    It makes sense on Chavez and Lee so we don't have to demote anyone. Not like it really matters ar this point anyway. Rest of the season is on auto pilot.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    What are sept rules now
    Coppy

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    What are sept rules now
    28 man rosters.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    28 man rosters.
    thanks,

I just looked and there will still have to be a roste move on the 1st. They can only bring up 1 pitcher.. so Lee and Chavez both can't come up unless one other pitcher is cut or sent down.
    Coppy

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    After sporting a K rate near 30% for much of the first half of the season, Matt Olson's K rate currently sits at 24.7%. He also has a higher OPS and bWAR than Freeman.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    After sporting a K rate near 30% for much of the first half of the season, Matt Olson's K rate currently sits at 24.7%. He also has a higher OPS and bWAR than Freeman.
    It was a joke a few weeks ago. But he may very well take the silver slugger for 1B this year

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    I saw some guys talking about taking Olson to win the MVP over the summer and some getting +4000 aon one guy who jumped in first week of June get him at +10000.. that has to look more interesting than ever right about now. I can still get him at +1925
    Coppy

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    thanks,

I just looked and there will still have to be a roste move on the 1st. They can only bring up 1 pitcher.. so Lee and Chavez both can't come up unless one other pitcher is cut or sent down.
    Seems pretty likely that someone with options is sent down. I assume that is McHugh, but I don't know.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    Seems pretty likely that someone with options is sent down. I assume that is McHugh, but I don't know.
    was it here that someone said Cheerios had an option left. IDK.. AA likes to keep as many guys around as he can though.. so I doubt they straight DFA anyone at this point. IL stint maybe.. if he can't option anyone. Mort might want a 15 day vacation in September.
    Coppy

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,291 Posts
    I saw some guys talking about taking Olson to win the MVP over the summer and some getting +4000 aon one guy who jumped in first week of June get him at +10000.. that has to look more interesting than ever right about now. I can still get him at +1925
    Betts, Freeman, Olson and Acuna could win the MVP with a hot streak down the stretch. I still think Acuna ultimately wins it comfortably because he’s going to pull in the traditional voters (SB/HR, batting average, outfield assists) and the analytics voters (xWOBA, WPA). Olson and Freeman are competing against each other from the same pool of voters, so if they have similar OPS they’ll split that vote. I don’t see how someone could vote for Betts over Acuna unless the Dodgers finish with the best record and voters start crediting Mookie for his positional versatility.

Olson could finish with 60 homers and 140 RBI and finish second in MVP on his own team. Crazy

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    Betts, Freeman, Olson and Acuna could win the MVP with a hot streak down the stretch. I still think Acuna ultimately wins it comfortably because he’s going to pull in the traditional voters (SB/HR, batting average, outfield assists) and the analytics voters (xWOBA, WPA). Olson and Freeman are competing against each other from the same pool of voters, so if they have similar OPS they’ll split that vote. I don’t see how someone could vote for Betts over Acuna unless the Dodgers finish with the best record and voters start crediting Mookie for his positional versatility.

Olson could finish with 60 homers and 140 RBI and finish second in MVP on his own team. Crazy
    Acuna is still by far the betting favorite.. -700.. FF is next... I think he was getting +600 maybe +700.. then Matt is a distant 3rd.. Mookie was close to +3000 so I think vegas doesn't like his odds as much. I agree any one of those guys could get hot, but I also think it would take a cold streak from Acuna in conjunction.
    Coppy

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    was it here that someone said Cheerios had an option left. IDK.. AA likes to keep as many guys around as he can though.. so I doubt they straight DFA anyone at this point. IL stint maybe.. if he can't option anyone. Mort might want a 15 day vacation in September.
    Can't really afford to lose a SP unless we replace him with a SP. Chirinos will continue to get starts so he can eat innings. That is his only purpose. Honestly, I'd rather Winnan get that role. He's earned it and also has spent time out of the pen in AAA, so he could be a perfect long arm in the pen for the playoffs.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    How about some Ozuna love.. I know we were all hard on him to start the year and rightfully so probably.. but now that I think he has his personal problems behind him, he has been such a valuable piece to our team. Dude has a .320 OBP and a ~25% K rate xwOBA of .367... Those are incredible when you think he was hitting something like .100 in May. I think if it came to TDA and Ozuna as DH in playoffs, I am going Ozuna...

Ozuna has been worth ~1 war which is also pretty good for a DH only player..
    Coppy

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post

Acuna has been the favorite all season, which helps his chances more than anything. He's also having a historic season that should easily see him become the only player in history to achieve a 30/60 season. Granted, many baseball purists will discount that with the larger bases, but it's still an amazing feat. If he reaches 40/60, there is zero chance he doesn't win the MVP.

Only way I could see anyone pushing Acuna off the top spot for MVP is if they have a historic season. The only player capable of doing that currently is Olson, but even at 60+ homers it wouldn't really be breaking any records.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,291 Posts
    Acuna has been the favorite all season, which helps his chances more than anything. He's also having a historic season that should easily see him become the only player in history to achieve a 30/60 season. Granted, many baseball purists will discount that with the larger bases, but it's still an amazing feat. If he reaches 40/60, there is zero chance he doesn't win the MVP.

Only way I could see anyone pushing Acuna off the top spot for MVP is if they have a historic season. The only player capable of doing that currently is Olson, but even at 60+ homers it wouldn't really be breaking any records.
    Like Matt said, Acuna would have to go cold not to win at this point. Fangraphs WAR uses OOA + UZR Arm instead of fielding run values from statcast, so his lead in WAR is probably understated since UZR isn’t as sophisticated at measuring how many advances RAJ prevents.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,291 Posts
    How about some Ozuna love.. I know we were all hard on him to start the year and rightfully so probably.. but now that I think he has his personal problems behind him, he has been such a valuable piece to our team. Dude has a .320 OBP and a ~25% K rate xwOBA of .367... Those are incredible when you think he was hitting something like .100 in May. I think if it came to TDA and Ozuna as DH in playoffs, I am going Ozuna...

Ozuna has been worth ~1 war which is also pretty good for a DH only player..
    132 wRC+ in his last 350 plate appearances.

I’m still nervous he’ll go ice cold in the playoffs, but he’s got a chance for redemption if he goes off in the postseason

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,524 Posts
    Olson is going to go cold here pretty soon, and fall out of the race.