Page 1 of 27 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 2023 Misc Braves Talk

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts

2023 Misc Braves Talk

Feel like we need a post for stuff that isn’t game-related for miscellaneous Braves stuff (like the Olson k% post)

I’ll start it off with a post about Money Mike’s splits.

Versus lefties, Harris has a 15.8% k rate, a 111 wRC+, and a .292 average with a .316 BABIP.
    It’s only 76 PAs, but the concerns about his platoon splits have to be dying down a tad.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    Mike is like 20 something years old and still has small sample of professional baseball logged.. I was never in favor of platooning him at any point. He was never going to be as bad as whatever RHH options the Braves have/had... Let the kid learn and prove that he can either hit them or not hit them. I think we still don't know for sure because of the sample size.. but it looks good so far.
    Coppy

3. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

DirkPiggler (08-09-2023)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    that mlb piece about the brave's deep line up might be good to post here.. although, I thought is was a poorly written fluff job.. they made it like our 9 hole hitter was our worse hitter when that is clearly not the case.. just twit and his sharpie. Sorryio and Arcia are clearly worse hitters.
    Coppy

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    that mlb piece about the brave's deep line up might be good to post here.. although, I thought is was a poorly written fluff job.. they made it like our 9 hole hitter was our worse hitter when that is clearly not the case.. just twit and his sharpie. Sorryio and Arcia are clearly worse hitters.
    In that piece Petriello actually mentioned that Rosario was our worst hitter.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Mike is like 20 something years old and still has small sample of professional baseball logged.. I was never in favor of platooning him at any point. He was never going to be as bad as whatever RHH options the Braves have/had... Let the kid learn and prove that he can either hit them or not hit them. I think we still don't know for sure because of the sample size.. but it looks good so far.
    I agree and have agreed.

Guy hardly had any at bats at a high major level. Hardly saw any MLB quality breaking balls until he got up here.

I honestly feel the same way about Grissom.

I was not sold he was an impact bat. Still not sold. But I'm moving toward the idea that he will be an impact bat. Sample size is still small. Really impressed with how he rebounded from the slow start and how is defense continued to be strong.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Russ2dollas For This Useful Post:

DirkPiggler (08-09-2023)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,706 Posts
    Since the braves didn't trace Grissom at the deadline, he needs to get some playing time in LF. His bat could be an asset

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to msstate7 For This Useful Post:

buck75 (08-09-2023), DirkPiggler (08-09-2023)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,294 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    Feel like we need a post for stuff that isn’t game-related for miscellaneous Braves stuff (like the Olson k% post)

I’ll start it off with a post about Money Mike’s splits.

Versus lefties, Harris has a 15.8% k rate, a 111 wRC+, and a .292 average with a .316 BABIP.
    It’s only 76 PAs, but the concerns about his platoon splits have to be dying down a tad.
    This is why it never made sense to force him into a strict platoon. Mike’s shown a unique ability to develop and adapt since he was drafted. The only way he learns to hit lefties is experience.

The next big step for him is cutting down on his chase rate (37% compared to 22% for Ronald for reference). I suspect if he does that he will hit less ground balls and walk more.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DirkPiggler View Post
    In that piece Petriello actually mentioned that Rosario was our worst hitter.
    I might have skipped that part or stopped reading. My wife was yapping at me to schedule a dog to be groomed... yeah she wears the pants.. so what.
    Coppy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,524 Posts
    I might have skipped that part or stopped reading. My wife was yapping at me to schedule a dog to be groomed... yeah she wears the pants.. so what.
    Someone’s on a leash, and it’s not the dog.

Swallowed by Mark Bowman
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,279 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post
    Someone’s on a leash, and it’s not the dog.
    But enough about your mom's kinks.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MadduxFanII For This Useful Post:

bravesfanMatt (08-09-2023), Garmel (08-09-2023), Super (08-09-2023)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    527 Posts
    On a related note, is there any reason Harris needs to be hitting 9th??

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,326 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBrave View Post
    For the same reason Olson was batting 2nd. It's just one of the squirrely ideas that's floating around in Snitker's mind.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    2nd leadoff hitter

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,294 Posts
    He should hit higher in the order. With that said, since Harris’s biggest weakness is chasing pitches outside the zone, hitting him in front of RAJ is probably the best way to mitigate that.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    I like the idea of batting him leadoff some.. at least against a RHP. bump Ozzie behind Ozuna then Arcia and Sorryio last.
    Coppy

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    This is why it never made sense to force him into a strict platoon. Mike’s shown a unique ability to develop and adapt since he was drafted. The only way he learns to hit lefties is experience.

The next big step for him is cutting down on his chase rate (37% compared to 22% for Ronald for reference). I suspect if he does that he will hit less ground balls and walk more.
    I completely agree. It was brought up last year for playoff time specifically because he was legitimately pretty bad vs lefties last year. I think it always made sense to let him try and figure it out during the regular season where games aren’t as important.

I know his splits were a point of hesitation for enscheff in Harris’ extension. While again, 76 PAs is not enough to draw a definitive conclusion, the extreme improvement so far in his numbers vs lefties is a hugely positive sign. K% almost cut in half.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,789 Posts
    If the Braves hadn't extend Olson, he'd be a free agent this off-season. What would his market value be coming off a 50+ HR season?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    I completely agree. It was brought up last year for playoff time specifically because he was legitimately pretty bad vs lefties last year. I think it always made sense to let him try and figure it out during the regular season where games aren’t as important.

I know his splits were a point of hesitation for enscheff in Harris’ extension. While again, 76 PAs is not enough to draw a definitive conclusion, the extreme improvement so far in his numbers vs lefties is a hugely positive sign. K% almost cut in half.
    My stance was pretty well explained, though I’m sure some folks with limited reading comprehension couldn’t be bothered to understand the logic.

Platooning Harris was, and still is, something to consider until he proves it’s not something to consider. It also made sense to give him opportunities to progress vs LHP during the regular season, and I stated exactly that several times. It’s not exactly baseball genius to give a talented young player the chance to get better at something.

Harris has shown real signs of improvement vs LHP this year, which I literally called “the most important development of 2023 so far” a few days ago. Planning around the possibility Harris needed to be platooned in the playoffs always made sense, and fortunately he is showing signs it may not be necessary. So…great news.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (08-11-2023)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    My stance was pretty well explained, though I’m sure some folks with limited reading comprehension couldn’t be bothered to understand the logic.

Platooning Harris was, and still is, something to consider until he proves it’s not something to consider. It also made sense to give him opportunities to progress vs LHP during the regular season, and I stated exactly that several times. It’s not exactly baseball genius to give a talented young player the chance to get better at something.

Harris has shown real signs of improvement vs LHP this year, which I literally called “the most important development of 2023 so far” a few days ago. Planning around the possibility Harris needed to be platooned in the playoffs always made sense, and fortunately he is showing signs it may not be necessary. So…great news.
    I wasn’t insulting you or anything. The concerns were valid and the points and suggested approach made sense. Just simply stating what part of the discussion was. I literally even mentioned the point of letting him hit vs lefties in the regular season lol

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,993 Posts
    Winans expected to start a game tomorrow.