Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Murphy War Crimes

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GovClintonTyree View Post
    I’m stating a fact. In 168 plate appearances as a DH, Murphy has slashed .168/.280/.280. It doesn’t seem to agree with him.

Do you feel otherwise, or are you just arguing for the hell of it?
    I’d say that’s not enough to draw a definitive conclusion on anything, especially because there’s no logical reason being a DH would suppress his numbers.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Super For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (08-12-2023)

Prosecutor of the
    International Criminal Court

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    83 Posts
    The Yankees series will actually tell us if TD has "taken over" the starting spot after hitting 188 in July. He has more AB's this month then Murphy.

He just played 2 of 4 vs. Pitt, started Thursday against Pitt and Friday against the Mets - Murphy "spotted him" today - but got demoted to hitting 7th. Tonight is then TD 3rd start in 4 games. Murphy will get the game tomorrow. Then we go into a fresh series against the Yankees, fresh off Murphy having been benched for 3 of 5 games and demoted in the line-up. If Murphy gets benched again Monday, its fair to say that he has officially "lost" the starting job due to his 900 ops.

I really believe people on this board have somehow convinced themselves this is just Snit being tactical and don't realize Snit literally demoted Murphy to hitting 7th but TD is hitting 5th, fresh off a July that he hit 188. I'm telling you - Murphy is no longer our starting catcher.
    Last edited by AJonesATL; 08-12-2023 at 04:40 PM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to AJonesATL For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (08-12-2023)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    I am not sure demotion is the best phrase. I think twit. Yes I do think it was twit doing this not AA But I think twit shuffled around the lineup with Lopez in there and wanted to do a balanced L/R all the way down. It wasn’t much more than a man of very average intelligence putting in a piece where a piece was missing.

The team scored 21 runs and the bottom 3 of that lineup raked today. I seriously doubt Murph cared one bit.

Come playoff time. We all hope and pray that very average brain doesn’t get to make these calls.
    Coppy

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    God forbid you give your catcher extra rest in the hot time of the season. And don’t let him bat 7th once or the world may literally end.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Super For This Useful Post:

Metaphysicist (08-16-2023)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,291 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    God forbid you give your catcher extra rest in the hot time of the season. And don’t let him bat 7th once or the world may literally end.
    I think people don’t realize how much of a luxury TDA is. The average OPS for a catcher is .663

Murphy hitting 7th has more to do with Arcia getting the game off than anything else. And even if it wasn’t, the difference between 5th and 7th is minuscule.

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory Mad Dog Murph's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    246 Posts
    This thread hilarious….and dumb

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Mad Dog Murph For This Useful Post:

Runnin (09-08-2023)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,524 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GovClintonTyree View Post
    I’m stating a fact. In 168 plate appearances as a DH, Murphy has slashed .168/.280/.280. It doesn’t seem to agree with him.

Do you feel otherwise, or are you just arguing for the hell of it?
    LOL. Awesome.
    Last edited by CyYoung31; 08-12-2023 at 06:20 PM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to CyYoung31 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (08-12-2023)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,524 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    I am not sure demotion is the best phrase. I think twit. Yes I do think it was twit doing this not AA But I think twit shuffled around the lineup with Lopez in there and wanted to do a balanced L/R all the way down. It wasn’t much more than a man of very average intelligence putting in a piece where a piece was missing.

The team scored 21 runs and the bottom 3 of that lineup raked today. I seriously doubt Murph cared one bit.

Come playoff time. We all hope and pray that very average brain doesn’t get to make these calls.
    I mean, he could’ve just put Ozuna in the 7th spot behind Rosario and left Murphy at 5.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CyYoung31 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (08-12-2023), zedsdead (08-12-2023)

Prosecutor of the

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    83 Posts
    I love when people just defer to the condescending "that's a dumb take" to make their point. In what world is it dumb to question that its concerning that the best catcher in baseball for the past month is now arguably our back-up catcher, and just got moved to 7th in the order over a two week slump that hasn't even been that big of a deal. To me that is absolutely concerning. Our manager is not smart and seems to think that the superior player is actually not that good.

For any avoidance of doubt - if I was assured this is officially a strategy to ensure Murphy is fresh, I would not be concerned. I just think there is strong reason to be concerned that is not the case - rather Snit truly does not know what he has. How else do you explain that TD now hits 5th and apparently Murphy hits 7th?

I am simply worried we will get to the playoffs and sit a potential difference maker for a good but still inferior player
    Last edited by AJonesATL; 08-12-2023 at 06:15 PM.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    What if I told you getting Murphy more rest now will help him be more fresh for the playoffs?

You’re basing your conclusion of “Murphy is now the backup” on very little. That’s why people aren’t taking you or your hysteria seriously.

Prosecutor of the

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    83 Posts
    I'll cry mercy on this one and end it - but I don't think I'm basing it on little. For most of the past two months, Murphy has settled into close to a 50-50 role. I don't actually believe he's a full-on back-up, but its pretty clear its settled from Murphy being a clear starter to being a co-starter. Coupled with him hitting 7th and TD hitting 5th (albeit one-game), and TD playing 3 of the past 4 games, and our manager truly being a buffoon, those are at least enough facts to warrant the question - I'd fully agree those aren't enough facts to be conclusive - but its become totally fair game to ask the question

At the very least, the question pivots to why does only Murphy on our team need to rest and at such an aggressive pace? Why does Ozuna who is an inferior player need to DH at a 162 game pace for most of the season? Why not get TD or Murphy the occasional DH start? Why not get Acuna a start at DH and Pillar in right?

I'm more baffled at three things - 1.) Murphy who played like 145 games last year is being treated like he is 37 and hanging on for dear life. 2.) Murphy gets demoted to hitting 7th which really feels like a wtf move and 3.) why the shockingly inconsistent approach that only one out of 25 players on the team needs to be rested (understand he is a catcher, but still)
    Last edited by AJonesATL; 08-12-2023 at 06:44 PM.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    I’m not reading all that, congratulations or I’m sorry to hear that

Arizona Fall Leaguer
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    58 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AJonesATL View Post
    I'll cry mercy on this one and end it - but I don't think I'm basing it on little. For most of the past two months, Murphy has settled into close to a 50-50 role. I don't actually believe he's a full-on back-up, but its pretty clear its settled from Murphy being a clear starter to being a co-starter. Coupled with him hitting 7th and TD hitting 5th (albeit one-game), and TD playing 3 of the past 4 games, and our manager truly being a buffoon, those are at least enough facts to warrant the question - I'd fully agree those aren't enough facts to be conclusive - but its become totally fair game to ask the question

At the very least, the question pivots to why does only Murphy on our team need to rest and at such an aggressive pace? Why does Ozuna who is an inferior player need to DH at a 162 game pace for most of the season? Why not get TD or Murphy the occasional DH start? Why not get Acuna a start at DH and Pillar in right?

I'm more baffled at three things - 1.) Murphy who played like 145 games last year is being treated like he is 37 and hanging on for dear life. 2.) Murphy gets demoted to hitting 7th which really feels like a wtf move and 3.) why the shockingly inconsistent approach that only one out of 25 players on the team needs to be rested (understand he is a catcher, but still)
    Last Month:

Murphy: (61 PAs) .154/.279/.231
    TDA: (42 PAs) .267/.271/.435

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    They're not gonna sit Murphy for TDA in the playoffs at least full-time anyway. Murphy is the full-time catcher given his defense, AA and the analytical department do the playoffs stuff. And i dont see the big deal about sitting Murphy in the dog days of summer.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    532 Posts
    My fear is that Snit will use Murphy/Travis as a 50/50 split in the playoffs. Then we may see a team like the Cubs or Reds who will run wild on Travis.

d'Arnaud does not need to catch Morton in the playoffs with how slow Charlie is to the plate.

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WaitingFor2017 View Post
    My fear is that Snit will use Murphy/Travis as a 50/50 split in the playoffs. Then we may see a team like the Cubs or Reds who will run wild on Travis.

d'Arnaud does not need to catch Morton in the playoffs with how slow Charlie is to the plate.
    Come playoff time, given how important each run is, would be hard to see a 50-50 split. Not even sure AA would allow Snit to have that happen.

It's OVER 5,000! bravesnumberone's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,022 Posts
    There is not a chance in hell TDA will catch a single game over Murphy in the playoffs unless we are up 3-0 in the LCS or World Series.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesnumberone View Post
    There is not a chance in hell TDA will catch a single game over Murphy in the playoffs unless we are up 3-0 in the LCS or World Series.
    I want to agree and that is the correct move. But twitner. He is “really good” at making bad decisions. We want to hope AA makes that call. But we really don’t know.
    Coppy

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post
    Murphy hitting 7th is ****ing retarded, no matter which way you want to look at it.
    I have no issue criticizing Snit's decisions. Acting like you know the reasons for those decisions is pretty dumb though.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Snitner will not be allowed to start TDA 50% of the time in the playoffs.

Let’s get Murphy lots of rest right now with an 11 game division lead.