Thread: Murphy War Crimes

Prosecutor of the
    International Criminal Court

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    83 Posts

Murphy War Crimes

I seem to be a minority but I thought this deserved its own thread. Murphy has objectively been reduced to a 50-50 part time player. This is no longer even the "he's playing 4 of 6" - its now basically alternating series where he plays 2 of 3. From the beginning of the year I believe Snit has basically had it out for Murphy. As a reminder, when he started off the season with a few 0 for's, he basically immediately was relegated to a part time player. He had to go on a Barry Bonds like streak to take the reigns and even that was only enhanced by TD getting injured. As soon as Murphy had one minor injury, Snit immediately took the reigns again and went to turning him into a part-time player.

I appreciate TD is awesome and its good to rest Murphy, but I just don't buy it given Snit clearly doesn't rest any other player. Further, Murphy is not allowed to DH for reasons I can't comprehend. Ozuna had a ****ing 703 ops in July and 633 in August to date. Basically he sucks again. Somehow despite his sucking again, Snit has decided it now makes sense for him to hit 5th. Likewise for Rosario.

The warning signs have been there for several weeks now, but most people wanted to just go with the narrative that Snit is being strategic and resting Murphy for the playoffs. Now Murphy is hitting 7th behind two awful players.

I absolutely hate this - but I'm going to laugh in pain when its game two of the playoffs and Murphy is benched. Murphy is down to 14th in MLB in at bats amongst catchers. Obviously TD was always going to reduce that, but Murphy is literally the best catcher in baseball this year.

I think this has gotten out of hand. Again if Murphy was hitting 5th, I could maybe believe the narrative that Snit wants to protect his star at a demanding position - but with him down to 7th - and much less behind Ozuna and Rosario (whereas TD hit 5th last night and is also a righty) - we just have our objective proof that Snit for some reason believes Murphy is a worse hitter than TD. Btw - TD had a worse OPS than Murphy in July, even when Murphy was supposedly in some egregious slump

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AJonesATL For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (08-12-2023), The Chosen One (10-16-2023), WaitingFor2017 (08-12-2023)

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    532 Posts
    I'm with you, but we seem to be in the minority here.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,294 Posts
    Travis is playing at a 3.5 WAR pace over a full season. Y’all fighting the wrong battles here

5. The Following User Says Thank You to chop2chip For This Useful Post:

Metaphysicist (08-16-2023)

Prosecutor of the

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    83 Posts
    It’s about the bigger picture. Does it not concern you that snit believes TD should be hitting 5th but Murphy 7? Does it not concern you that our manager believes ozuna and Rosario warrant hitting hire than Murphy? This isn’t about Murphy vs TD.

It’s about a concerning picture that our manager does not seem to realize Murphy is an elite player - and somehow thinks ozuna needs to be in the lineup more often then Murphy - and legitimately seems to be on a path to benching Murphy in the playoffs

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,865 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AJonesATL View Post
    It’s about the bigger picture. Does it not concern you that snit believes TD should be hitting 5th but Murphy 7? Does it not concern you that our manager believes ozuna and Rosario warrant hitting hire than Murphy? This isn’t about Murphy vs TD.

It’s about a concerning picture that our manager does not seem to realize Murphy is an elite player - and somehow thinks ozuna needs to be in the lineup more often then Murphy - and legitimately seems to be on a path to benching Murphy in the playoffs
    Snit won't be making lineup decisions in the playoffs

8. The Following User Says Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (08-12-2023)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    It scares me that he might. This isn’t even an offense versus offense issue. Murphy should catch every game of the playoffs. His arm is a factor and TDA lack of one is a liability
    Coppy

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (08-12-2023), Tapate50 (08-12-2023)

Prosecutor of the

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    83 Posts
    The thing that amuses me is it’s going to be funny when Murphy goes 2-4 with a bomb today - because he’s just an elite hitter this year - and snit then will conclude that he “unlocked” Murphy and that he should hit 7th from here on because that’s what helped him get out of his slump - not the fact that he has a 900 ops for the SEASON

12. The Following User Says Thank You to AJonesATL For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (08-12-2023)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,294 Posts

Bigger picture is we have Murphy signed thru his mid 30’s and I support playing him at a pace that maximizes the chances he’s still a good player by then.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chop2chip For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (08-12-2023), Metaphysicist (08-16-2023)

Prosecutor of the

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    83 Posts
    Your giving snit way too much credit that this is about maximizing health. He literally just demoted a guy with a 900 ops to hitting 7th. It’s basically no different than if Acuna has a two week slump and got moved to 7th. Riley was in a slump all year and never got moved. Snit is not doing this to rest Murphy. He literally does not believe Murphy is a great player and wants to minimize the at bats he gets

Again - ozuna plays literally every day. Snit clearly believes ozuna is a better hitter than Murphy.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Decent chance we carry 2 catchers in the playoffs, which would allow us DH one of Murphy/TDA. Of course that also depends on how Ozuna/Rosario are hitting come that time.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Your giving snit way too much credit that this is about maximizing health. He literally just demoted a guy with a 900 ops to hitting 7th. It’s basically no different than if Acuna has a two week slump and got moved to 7th. Riley was in a slump all year and never got moved. Snit is not doing this to rest Murphy. He literally does not believe Murphy is a great player and wants to minimize the at bats he gets

Again - ozuna plays literally every day. Snit clearly believes ozuna is a better hitter than Murphy.
    I'm glad we have you as the Braves insider to tell us what Snit actually thinks about Murphy.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Snit won't be making lineup decisions in the playoffs
    As I said in another thread, I don't think Snitker makes the line-up decisions now. I don't think the front office goes full Kevin Cash on Snitker, but I think he gets sent the line-up daily.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,524 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    I'm glad we have you as the Braves insider to tell us what Snit actually thinks about Murphy.
    Murphy hitting 7th is ****ing retarded, no matter which way you want to look at it.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to CyYoung31 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (08-12-2023)

Prosecutor of the

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    83 Posts
    I love when people get defensive about fans making observations. We should be allowed to point out that Murphy being demoted to hitting 7th over a 30 day modest slump is not only horrendous, it feels like it’s targeting a single player in a way that no one else has been subject to

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,034 Posts

Does it not concern you that in his career, Murphy has slashed .168/.280/.280 as a DH?

What about that he’s hitting .216 since July 11?
    Last edited by GovClintonTyree; 08-12-2023 at 02:11 PM.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GovClintonTyree View Post
    Does it not concern you that in his career, Murphy has slashed .168/.280/.280 as a DH?

What about that he’s hitting .216 since July 11?
    Neither of those things concern me the tiniest bit
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Super For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (08-12-2023)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,034 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    Neither of those things concern me the tiniest bit
    Me either, but it’s why he’s hitting seventh and not DHing. He’s hitting .750, not .950 like he was, and he’s never hit as a DH.

The whole thing is a tempest in a teapot. Murphy will be fresher in the playoffs this year and fresher at 35 when we’re still paying him. He’s probably a little underutilized, but I don’t see it as gross mismanagement of the asset.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    This is what the biggest division lead with the best team in baseball looks like. Rich People Problems.

If this Murphy stuff were an actual problem, I’m sure AA would handle it.
    🙂

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,524 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GovClintonTyree View Post
    Me either, but it’s why he’s hitting seventh and not DHing. He’s hitting .750, not .950 like he was, and he’s never hit as a DH.

The whole thing is a tempest in a teapot. Murphy will be fresher in the playoffs this year and fresher at 35 when we’re still paying him. He’s probably a little underutilized, but I don’t see it as gross mismanagement of the asset.
    Are you seriously trying to suggest that Murphy has trouble hitting if he’s not playing the field?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,034 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post
    Are you seriously trying to suggest that Murphy has trouble hitting if he’s not playing the field?
    I’m stating a fact. In 168 plate appearances as a DH, Murphy has slashed .168/.280/.280. It doesn’t seem to agree with him.

Do you feel otherwise, or are you just arguing for the hell of it?