Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: What Concerns you most about 2014?

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    What are you talking about? I'm seriously getting lost by this either random or double talk.

You brought BJ into this conversation. I didn't bring him in here. I never compared BJ to Span, I said Span is above average offensively. His career stats and just about any sample you pull aside from one proves that. You brought in BJ I had no intention fo comparing the 2.

Literally all I said about Span was he's above average.

2 year sample, 101
    3 year sample, 99
    4 year sample, 95
    5 year sample, 101
    Career 103

Any multi-year sample ASIDE FROM ONE he's above average or right around average (99 is right there that I'd call anyone playing 2B, SS, C, or CF with a 99 above average even though it's technically not)

So here's an idea, stop bringing up Bossman, I didn't bring him into the conversation, you did. He had no point being brought up and I regret not just ignoring the asininity because it was a waste of time in all reality but I was hoping by addressing it you'd see the truth, obviously that didn't happen.

Facts, Span is above average or really damn close to it in just about any sample you can. I said he's above average. If you split hairs and point to every sample then yeah you can come to the conclusion that he's not above average, you purposely picked a sample that made Span look his worst (still doesn't make him look that bad) and you keep harping on it. I hope you stop arguing because you're really not making any sense
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post
    And I don't understand why people like you are so against using certain stats. You will use the flawed BA stat and the useless RBI stat all you want, but when it comes to something that contains more than three letters you'll just slam the door in its face. Oh, but we used those stats for hundreds of years? Yeah, well we also used horse and buggy for hundreds of years too. Maybe the automobile should never have been invented? You are so afraid of change it's silly.
    I used to be a big traditionalist (which went against my mathematical background). But when you start to do some reading then you realize just how much higher of a correlation rate to winning these new stats have.
    Natural Immunity Croc

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thethe For This Useful Post:

AUTiger7222 (02-19-2014), zitothebrave (02-18-2014)

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts
    And I don't understand why people like you are so against using certain stats. You will use the flawed BA stat and the useless RBI stat all you want, but when it comes to something that contains more than three letters you'll just slam the door in its face. Oh, but we used those stats for hundreds of years? Yeah, well we also used horse and buggy for hundreds of years too. Maybe the automobile should never have been invented? You are so afraid of change it's silly.
    Typical response from statheads is always to insult the other person.

Case in point.

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory ChapelHillMatt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    187 Posts
    Just so I have this straight.

Getting hits is flawed and driving in runners is useless.

Next thing you'll tell me is scoring runs isn't important either.

I'm being facetious obviously and I do think RBI shouldn't really be used to gauge how good a hitter is just like you shouldn't judge a pitcher on wins but I do think stats like avg, obp, HR, doubles, and triples are more important than what someone's WAR is.

Bottom line is some of us don't care about advanced stats and it doesn't take away our enjoyment of the game, nor does it make us less knowledgeable of the game. I can watch Craig Kimbrel pitch and see how dominant he is, I don't need an advanced stat to tell me what my eyes are telling me.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ChapelHillMatt For This Useful Post:

NinersSBChamps (02-18-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ChapelHillMatt View Post

I'm being facetious obviously and I do think RBI shouldn't really be used to gauge how good a hitter is just like you shouldn't judge a pitcher on wins but I do think stats like avg, obp, HR, doubles, and triples are more important than what someone's WAR is.

Bottom line is some of us don't care about advanced stats and it doesn't take away our enjoyment of the game, nor does it make us less knowledgeable of the game. I can watch Craig Kimbrel pitch and see how dominant he is, I don't need an advanced stat to tell me what my eyes are telling me.
    Well, I don't think you need any stats to judge a player you see every day but advanced metrics allow you to get a better feel of a player you haven't seen before.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Outskirts Of Mobile, Alabama. Roll Tide!!!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,814 Posts
    The overall youth of the rotation. Although I'm sure there were similar whispers in 1991.
    Chopping With The Braves And Rolling With The Tide

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonCowboy View Post
    The overall youth of the rotation. Although I'm sure there were similar whispers in 1991.
    Personally, I thought this was an issue last year. These guys have big time experience now for someone their ages. I expect to have one of the best top 3's in all of baseball.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Personally, I thought this was an issue last year. These guys have big time experience now for someone their ages. I expect to have one of the best top 3's in all of baseball.
    Define one of the best? Just curious what you think here.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NinersSBChamps View Post
    Define one of the best? Just curious what you think here.
    Innings pitched
    K/BB ratio
    FIP
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Well, I don't think you need any stats to judge a player you see every day but advanced metrics allow you to get a better feel of a player you haven't seen before.
    Even then, having advanced stats to compare to others is usually key. For example, lots of Yankees fans think Jeter is a great defender because he makes the routine plays. But advanced stats indicate it's totally different.

Playing the Waiting Game BremanFan88's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    216 Posts
    Innings pitched
    K/BB ratio
    FIP
    FIP? ERA or GTFO...
    All you need is Hart and Cox.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to BremanFan88 For This Useful Post:

Heyward (02-19-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    Even then, having advanced stats to compare to others is usually key. For example, lots of Yankees fans think Jeter is a great defender because he makes the routine plays. But advanced stats indicate it's totally different.
    I still don't take fielding stats as absolutes. For the most part they are telling the right story but still a lot of noise in them.

Yeah, I should have mentioned for comparative purposes as well.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,524 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NinersSBChamps View Post
    Typical response from statheads is always to insult the other person.

Case in point.
    I never insulted him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    I still don't take fielding stats as absolutes. For the most part they are telling the right story but still a lot of noise in them.

Yeah, I should have mentioned for comparative purposes as well.
    Every stat has issues. They tell a tale to a point, but there's noise involved in valuing any statistic. OBP for example is really simple, but why value it over slugging or average and you're getting into noise.

I go with the best advanced stats that are out there because it's the best there is. It's like going with the best phone, sure in a few months it will be outdated and something new will be out, but that's no reason to stick with a telegraph.

Playing the Waiting Game BremanFan88's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    216 Posts
    You can watch the sun moving in the sky which would lead you to believe it's rotating around the Earth. That doesn't take your enjoyment away from the sun it's just a flawed way to determine the sun's movement. Luckily we moved on from that "traditional" way of thinking and found ways to be more accurate. Opinions are nice but statistical proof is more appealing.
    All you need is Hart and Cox.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,524 Posts

Because any truly great baseball scholar knows that a combination of stats and your own discretion is the best way to go. That way you get the most information and keep the most objectivity. I don't see what's so wrong with that or why it's hard to understand. Why limit yourself?

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    I like our top 3 provided health.

Wouldnt say one of the best top 3's in baseball but im more worried about our 4-5 than 1-2-3 in the rotation.

Minor-Julio-Meds is a very solid 1-2-3.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    I'm not worried about 4-5 I'm worried about health. If we're healthy our rotation is

Medlen
    Minor
    Julio
    Floyd
    Beachy

If someone gets hurt we have Wood waiting in the wings. I'm also a fan of Hale. Hopefully Freddy doesn't make the roster and leaves so we don't have to worry about that bullet. I mean he may be better than some of our AAAA guys, but I doubt it.

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory ChapelHillMatt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    187 Posts
    Because any truly great baseball scholar knows that a combination of stats and your own discretion is the best way to go. That way you get the most information and keep the most objectivity. I don't see what's so wrong with that or why it's hard to understand. Why limit yourself?
    I use stats, I just don't use the one's you want me to use.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    I'm not worried about 4-5 I'm worried about health. If we're healthy our rotation is

Medlen
    Minor
    Julio
    Floyd
    Beachy

If someone gets hurt we have Wood waiting in the wings. I'm also a fan of Hale. Hopefully Freddy doesn't make the roster and leaves so we don't have to worry about that bullet. I mean he may be better than some of our AAAA guys, but I doubt it.