Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Advice Thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    I like the quest protein bars for some flavor.
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Amex paying 4.3% on savings right now. Has moved up pretty regularly with inflation.... I know it won't keep up with inflation for now- but this was for emergency funds not to be touched so hard to keep that in something volatile.

For anyone that does Amex for points, over and over again I've found the rewards program comparison for the Gold Rewards much better for day to day spending vs the Platinum despite offers to upgrade for free, etc...
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Don’t mail checks. Ever.

Lot of checks being whitewashed -stolen from the mail system then
    changing the order to and banks are cashing them
    Ivermectin Man

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Less of pure advice and more of a rant.

Back in AUgust I think, I got an orthotic and things mostly did well, but like a month ago I started getting massive pains in my lower back/hip. Grinded out through a bunch of busy weekends in the restaurant via ibuprofen, Salonpas, heat, and icing. Finally got into PT last week and they basically say I probably have a nerve hooked over a bone in my hip and now I'm on a stretching and specific hip exercises for mainly lateral strength improvement. ANyway all that context aside, I am cleared to go back to the gym just told if anything hurts don't do it. With my shenanigans of my hip I'm thinking of mainly sticking to machines until I know what does and doesn't trigger pain. So my thoughts are 3 days a week. Every day starting with 5 minutes on the exercise and finishing with 15-30 minutes depending on hip discomfort.
    .*

Day 1 legs and arms - Thinking 4x10 leg curls and leg extensions, couple with bicep and tricep curls, finish with dumbell overhead presses.

Day 2, Chest, Back and Core - Bench, chest press, high rows, low rows, and finish with pushups and situps.

Day 3, Rotate around week to week, Probably will try and always do leg press to test that. But mainly repeat exercises from earlier.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Heineke at QB for Atlanta and the offense looks better
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Anyone use the Bowflex Revolution?

Worth it? Don't have a high ceiling in basement so figured this was the best of the lower height clearing options.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Get a barbell/ bumpers instead
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    Get a barbell/ bumpers instead
    If it was just me it would be this but want to get something easier to use for Mrs.

Have any suggestions for in home equipment if not the revolution?
    Natural Immunity Croc

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,761 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    If it was just me it would be this but want to get something easier to use for Mrs.

Barbells dumbbells or kettlebells.

the bow flex will sit in your basement and rot. That’s why there’s so many of those all in one gyms on Facebook marketplace.
    Forever Fredi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Chosen One View Post
    Barbells dumbbells or kettlebells.

the bow flex will sit in your basement and rot. That’s why there’s so many of those all in one gyms on Facebook marketplace.
    I don’t see why this would be the case. I think this is more of people who’ve never worked out and don’t know how to leverage the machines.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    There is a reason barbells, KBs and dumbells hold their value. That’s where the progress is.

The rogue echo bike is an absolutely monster piece of cardio equipment also.
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    There is a reason barbells, KBs and dumbells hold their value. That’s where the progress is.

The rogue echo bike is an absolutely monster piece of cardio equipment also.
    I don’t care much for the holding of value more than functionality in limited space.

If used properly, do you believe that the all in 1’s are valueable?

I used to have wire machines as part of my regular routines while in the gym. What’s the difference here?
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Maybe they do if used properly. They have a place I guess but it’s not really my thing for true fitness. It’s more of a body building modality?

I’m just a creature of non habit. People tend to train what they want and compound movements usually prevent that preference from showing up.
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    I don’t see why this would be the case. I think this is more of people who’ve never worked out and don’t know how to leverage the machines.
    The biggest problem with machines is they cap your lifitng limit, often at even not that high of a weight. I think to a rowing machine at the gym. It caps at 150 or something. I use it when I'm returning to the gym after an injury. But I cap the machine out after like 2 weeks. I'm mainly using machines now as I'm nursing a nerve injury. But I'll hopefully be moving to freeweights soon.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to zitothebrave For This Useful Post:

thethe (11-25-2023)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,293 Posts

We got a Tonal a year because we were afraid having young toddlers around the weight lifting equipment. It’s fantastic.

I’m sure a cross fit snob would find a way to criticize it, but I have been getting great workouts in and it’s really easy to fit into my evening schedule (going to the gym seems impossible with a 2 year old and a newborn next year).

17. The Following User Says Thank You to chop2chip For This Useful Post:

thethe (11-25-2023)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    I don’t care much for the holding of value more than functionality in limited space.

If used properly, do you believe that the all in 1’s are valueable?

I used to have wire machines as part of my regular routines while in the gym. What’s the difference here?
    Back when I used to do stuff in limited space (I switched to gym membership because we don't have space for anything, I want a rowing machine for home cardio, but yeah) but we basically just had a bench and a dumbbell rack and some padded floor. Bench sucked ass and had the leg curl/leg extension thing. Which meant if you teetered the wrong way you'd tip your bench. But we still rocked it. Also the barbell doubles for deadlifts, rows, and cleans.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to zitothebrave For This Useful Post:

thethe (11-25-2023)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    The biggest problem with machines is they cap your lifitng limit, often at even not that high of a weight. I think to a rowing machine at the gym. It caps at 150 or something. I use it when I'm returning to the gym after an injury. But I cap the machine out after like 2 weeks. I'm mainly using machines now as I'm nursing a nerve injury. But I'll hopefully be moving to freeweights soon.
    I’m 40 - not trying to get big anymore but I definitely agree the issue is there if the purpose is to continually build strength.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    I’m 40 - not trying to get big anymore but I definitely agree the issue is there if the purpose is to continually build strength.
    Well the thing for me is my base level of strength is more than the machine. Like if I fall below that I'm gonna start breaking down harder than I am now. I'm pretty sure my nerve injury came from too much walking without lifting.

Truth is the only real downside to machine is what I said. Plus the inevitable failure of mechanics but you should have several years until that happens. I'd just be mad if I spent 2400 bucks and it didn't last 20 years.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    Well the thing for me is my base level of strength is more than the machine. Like if I fall below that I'm gonna start breaking down harder than I am now. I'm pretty sure my nerve injury came from too much walking without lifting.

Truth is the only real downside to machine is what I said. Plus the inevitable failure of mechanics but you should have several years until that happens. I'd just be mad if I spent 2400 bucks and it didn't last 20 years.
    Fair enough - I'm 6' 185. I've never been into maxing but at my peak I could rep 225 on bench so I'm no where near that for now. Legs will always be an issue for this type of machine but I'm just going to pick up my running again now that I'm getting off the greenery.
    Natural Immunity Croc