Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617

Thread: GDT - 9.27: Game 2, Cubbies at Bravos - Seiya later, Chicago!

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Yes, all the mouth breathers point to the times stolen bases help and conveniently are silent when the attempts lead to outs, or when he would have scored anyways, or when he ends up not scoring.
    That's odd, because I seem to recall a ton of times that people were upset when Acuna gets thrown out and then a homer happens in the next at bat.

Just because a particular stat attempts to value SBs and base running, doesn't automatically make that stat 100% true. Just like with basically any stat, there are a plethora of factors that are not quantifiable. You ignoring these factors and ridiculing those that disagree makes you look like a pompous assclown. No one should be a slave to the numbers.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    It’s this odd sense of pride you and other fans have in other mens’ accomplishments. As if somehow you should be proud that you watch a particular team you contribute absolutely nothing to their success.

We indeed lol.
    Fans contribute nothing to a teams success.... I don't think you will find many people that agree with that statement. But please, continue with this elitist charade. It's quite hilarious watching you digging yourself into these holes.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    527 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    I think not having either NY market, no Boston, possibly no Chicago teams. These big market teams could help.. but we all know ManDick will still slot all the Brave's home games at 9:12 am
    Agreed. MLB will have no problem giving Texas, Houston, Philly, Tampa, Milwaukee and Baltimore the early slots. Dodgers late slot of course. So decent chance Braves get prime time.

Spring Training Invitee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    You do realize Canseco, Bonds, and Soriano all took the base when they joined the 40/40 club, right? It's a thing that happens when you steal a base and do something like this.
    How many of them did it as the winning run in extra innings? Little different if it happens in the 3rd inning. And in a game that has major playoff implications for the other team, no less.

Also, Acuna joined the 40/40 club last week, and got to celebrate. He just happened to do it with the home run. And that club at least has been a thing for decades. No one has ever spoken of the 40/70 club until recently. Not only because it seemed unachievable. Also because it is random.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    I can see how this would be alarming to you. Closeted homosexuals often recoil at the thought of another man naked as a defense mechanism. They wouldn't dare admit the attraction, so they have to overcompensate by thinking it's disgusting.

I don't remember exactly, but it was likely a link to my FB profile. I can assure you I was fully clothed...or was I?? Curious?
    You calling someone a closeted homosexual is literally using homosexuality as an insult. But yet you believe you hold the moral high ground here.... Can't say I'm surprised.
    Last edited by Carp; 09-28-2023 at 10:29 AM.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Strike3urout View Post
    How many of them did it as the winning run in extra innings? Little different if it happens in the 3rd inning. And in a game that has major playoff implications for the other team, no less.

Also, Acuna joined the 40/40 club last week, and got to celebrate. He just happened to do it with the home run. And that club at least has been a thing for decades. No one has ever spoken of the 40/70 club until recently. Not only because it seemed unachievable. Also because it is random.
    Shouldn't matter when it happens. It's an acomplishment regardless.

Just because 40/70 hasn't happened before doesn't mean it isn't something to celebrate. Again, players have been taking bases for a long time now when something like this happens.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

Hudson2 (09-28-2023), jpx7 (09-28-2023)

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    It wasn't even a long celebration. It was like a minute

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Everyone just relax.

When that banner flies forever, can we all chill a minute
    Ivermectin Man

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts

The same thing happened last year for Judge's 62nd homer. They had like a 5-10 minute break after the homer to appreciate what was done. I recall there being similar moments when Bonds broke Aaron's record, McGwire broke Marris' record, Ripken broke Gehrig's record, etc. Hell, looking at the Ripken video, he was going into the stands to hug his family, shake the hands of fans, and even going into the opposing duggout to shake hands of the opposing team.

The point is, it shouldn't be all that surprising that a bit of time is set aside for the fans and players in attendance to appreciate historic moments like this. Especially when it happens in front of the home crowd.
    Last edited by Carp; 09-28-2023 at 09:58 AM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (09-28-2023)

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Y’all are still at it…. This is one of the longest game threads of the entire season -maybe the longest !
    4 more to go. Life is good today !

Spring Training Invitee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    The same thing happened last year for Judge's 62nd homer. They had like a 5-10 minute break after the homer to appreciate what was done. I recall there being similar moments when Bonds broke Aaron's record, McGwire broke Marris' record, Ripken broke Gehrig's record, etc. Hell, looking at the Ripken video, he was going into the stands to hug his family, shake the hands of fans, and even going into the opposing duggout to shake hands of the opposing team.

The point is, it shouldn't be all that surprising that a bit of time is set aside for the fans and players in attendance to appreciate historic moments like this. Especially when it happens in front of the home crowd.
    Ripken's was after the 5th inning. I don't remember the exact timing of the other moments. But context and game situation matters, in my opinion. It's a sign of respect towards the other team, who are trying to win (or avoid losing) the game.
    Would you want the home team to interrupt play to celebrate something important to them when the Braves are batting with the bases loaded, 2 outs and down a couple of runs in the 8th inning? I would find that distracting and disrespectful.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Ripken's was after the 5th inning. I don't remember the exact timing of the other moments. But context and game situation matters, in my opinion. It's a sign of respect towards the other team, who are trying to win (or avoid losing) the game.
    Would you want the home team to interrupt play to celebrate something important to them when the Braves are batting with the bases loaded, 2 outs and down a couple of runs in the 8th inning? I would find that distracting and disrespectful.
    If it was a historical event, I wouldn't care in the least. This is a game after all, meant to entertain the fans as it's primary purpose. And it's obviously something the fans in attendance greatly enjoyed.

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,761 Posts
    I hope we slaughter the Cubs today with a barrage of homeruns just to make them cry more.
    Forever Fredi

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Chosen One View Post
    I hope we slaughter the Cubs today with a barrage of homeruns just to make them cry more.
    Sweeping them out of the playofs would be great. I wonder if the crowd last night was up to Swanson's standards?

17. The Following User Says Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (09-28-2023)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Chosen One View Post
    slow trots around the bags with a lot of hand dancing with Wash.
    Coppy

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,494 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    slow trots around the bags with a lot of hand dancing with Wash.
    I'd love to see Ozuna break out the ole selfie in front of the Cubs dugout.
    Get off my lawn!

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    Who all noticed Swanson acting like a bitch and not congratulating Acuna on the historic acomplishment last night? Dude is so salty.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,293 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post
    There was a gay dude I used to work with. Maybe you know him.
    This is the best post in this thread EASILY

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chop2chip For This Useful Post:

bravesnumberone (09-28-2023), Mrs. Meta (09-28-2023)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,293 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Who all noticed Swanson acting like a bitch and not congratulating Acuna on the historic acomplishment last night? Dude is so salty.
    To be fair to Dansby, he mentally checked out back in April when his wife tore her ACL.