Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Bally Sports Latest

Outskirts Of Mobile, Alabama. Roll Tide!!!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,814 Posts
    This is going to be very interesting to see how it plays out. Especially if Bally and MLB separate. If it comes to that, what does happen next? I saw something a couple days ago that Manfred wants to get rid of the local blackouts, which needs to happen anyway. The games will certainly be shown in Atlanta, but what about the rest of the region? Does a new network get started? How risky is a new RSN? Or does a new RSN take the place of Bally Sports South/Southeast and the other teams like the Hawks move over? Or does the Braves go regional syndication? These are questions that will be asked and get answers for should MLB and Bally separate.
    Chopping With The Braves And Rolling With The Tide

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,814 Posts
    Bally hoping to strike a deal with YouTube TV and Hulu to save the channel
    https://cordcuttersnews.com/bally-sp...channel/?amp=1

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    I'd love to be able to drop Direct TV Stream and pick HULU back up.
    Ivermectin Man

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,034 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesnumberone View Post
    Seems like it'll touch off the same war that always happens. But there's basically nowhere else to turn. ESPN isn't going to step in and do it. Fox Sports already washed its hands. The older generation might just wind up getting screwed in the end. I see MLB eventually ending the blackout rule and jacking up the price of MLB.TV.
    Which I could live with. I take cable now because of Bally and MLB being a no-go. As you think about it, if Bally works a deal with YouTube and/or Hulu, that solves the problem too. The way it is now is untenable, the economics don't work for fans, or apparently, the RSNs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,814 Posts

NL Rookie of the Year CrazyTrain's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    191 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    Why is it so hard to watch the sport so many love. MLB has to figure this out.
    Easy. Their TV rights and player contracts/overhead were based on people subscribing to their regional sports networks as part of basic cable. Once people started cutting the cord and not wanting to pay the crazy prices for sports broadcasting, streaming services started dropping Bally.

Here we are.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,814 Posts
    I’ve continued to keep track of this whole ordeal with Bally and bankruptcy, and the future of the network. It appears Bally’s channel in Arizona is shutting down at some point. They’ve cut ties with the Diamondbacks and now they’ve lost the Suns and the NHL’s Coyotes.

The last few days, I’ve seen articles talking about Bally and deals with teams in the NBA and NHL. Last few days, I’ve seen nothing about Bally and MLB. Starting to make me wonder a little bit. I did see where Manfred basically said Bally did this to themselves.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyTrain View Post
    Easy. Their TV rights and player contracts/overhead were based on people subscribing to their regional sports networks as part of basic cable. Once people started cutting the cord and not wanting to pay the crazy prices for sports broadcasting, streaming services started dropping Bally.

Here we are.
    And they basically said there was no reason to renegotiate because those people were gone and not coming back

Not many of the cable cos thought their price was worth it.
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,814 Posts

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    176 Posts
    I actually like Apple TV and what they’ve done with MLS.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,814 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,814 Posts
    Below article linked states that MLB says Diamond Sports Group needs to find a viable plan or liquidate. MLB is asking the bankruptcy court to not grant Diamond anymore extensions along with a handful of teams. The Braves being one of those teams.

https://www.nexttv.com/news/mlb-says...rce=SmartBrief

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,814 Posts
    I know this is not our region, but is this a sign of things to come for Bally?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,814 Posts
    I found myself reading again on some of the stuff with Diamond Sports Group/Bally and MLB. It really seems like Manfred is sick and tired of how Diamond is dragging all this out. We just finished a regular season and no closer to a solution. It was real interesting to me that the Braves joined MLB and those five other teams with MLB also asking the judge to not grant the extension to Diamond. I thought that things were at least okay with the Braves and Bally, but apparently not the case. And that’s not good for Diamond. I’m pretty sure the South/Southeast channels cover the largest area for any of Bally’s regions and the Braves are profitable for them.

I’m hoping the judge does not grant the extension for Diamond. Of course, I don’t know this for certain, but it just kind of seems like Diamond is “kicking the can” on this as much as they can. MLB is very apparently tired of it. I haven’t agreed with Manfred on much, but this I do. Diamond and their owner, Sinclair, has put themselves in this. You’d think they’d be doing all they can to fix this as well as they can, but they have been extremely slow in this. It does seem like they’ve been more urgently securing deals with teams in the NHL and NBA, but not really with MLB.

I don’t think there’s any doubt that Bally Sports is in trouble and it’s not getting any better. They lost two teams during the regular season that ended, the Padres and Diamondbacks. And now Bally Sports Arizona is history. For this offseason, while we’re watching out for free agents signing and trading, this will be a big thing to watch. I don’t have the knowledge much of what happens in the sports media world, but just based on what I’m seeing and reading, it’s not looking good at all for them. At this point, I’m not going to be surprised at all if the Braves are not on Bally next season. It’s just a gut feeling of mine and that’s it. I could be wrong of course, but when the season opens in the Spring, the way we watch our Atlanta Braves could be very different.

It's OVER 5,000! bravesnumberone's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,022 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonCowboy View Post
    I found myself reading again on some of the stuff with Diamond Sports Group/Bally and MLB. It really seems like Manfred is sick and tired of how Diamond is dragging all this out. We just finished a regular season and no closer to a solution. It was real interesting to me that the Braves joined MLB and those five other teams with MLB also asking the judge to not grant the extension to Diamond. I thought that things were at least okay with the Braves and Bally, but apparently not the case. And that’s not good for Diamond. I’m pretty sure the South/Southeast channels cover the largest area for any of Bally’s regions and the Braves are profitable for them.

I’m hoping the judge does not grant the extension for Diamond. Of course, I don’t know this for certain, but it just kind of seems like Diamond is “kicking the can” on this as much as they can. MLB is very apparently tired of it. I haven’t agreed with Manfred on much, but this I do. Diamond and their owner, Sinclair, has put themselves in this. You’d think they’d be doing all they can to fix this as well as they can, but they have been extremely slow in this. It does seem like they’ve been more urgently securing deals with teams in the NHL and NBA, but not really with MLB.

I don’t think there’s any doubt that Bally Sports is in trouble and it’s not getting any better. They lost two teams during the regular season that ended, the Padres and Diamondbacks. And now Bally Sports Arizona is history. For this offseason, while we’re watching out for free agents signing and trading, this will be a big thing to watch. I don’t have the knowledge much of what happens in the sports media world, but just based on what I’m seeing and reading, it’s not looking good at all for them. At this point, I’m not going to be surprised at all if the Braves are not on Bally next season. It’s just a gut feeling of mine and that’s it. I could be wrong of course, but when the season opens in the Spring, the way we watch our Atlanta Braves could be very different.
    I don't see what is left other than direct MLB broadcast and going through MLBTV with the blackout rules lifted. No one else is coming in to offer a regional model and certainly not less than six months before a new season begins.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,814 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesnumberone View Post
    I don't see what is left other than direct MLB broadcast and going through MLBTV with the blackout rules lifted. No one else is coming in to offer a regional model and certainly not less than six months before a new season begins.
    That’s probably what’s it going to amount to. Probably one of the reasons MLB wants the judge to deny the extension. And also, the regional sports network is considered a big gamble now. It’s going to be interesting to see how this plays out between now and Opening Day.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,814 Posts
    DIRECTV expressing some concerns now.

https://www.nexttv.com/news/directv-...eague-baseball

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,814 Posts
    Here’s a pretty good write up about the disagreements between DIRECTV and Diamond Sports Group

https://tvanswerman.com/2023/10/22/d...in-bankruptcy/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    I’d wager any good deal we have with Bally diamond would be more standardized with mlb
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,814 Posts
    Is the death of Bally Sports near? A growing number of local ABC, CBS, Fox, and NBC Broadcasters hope so

https://cordcuttersnews.com/is-the-d...hope-so/?amp=1